Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Verdict is in

Re: Verdict is in

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    'Spygate' could have also had an impact on this decision, because of how many people viewed the punishment that the Patriots received. Roger Goodell had to come down hard this time and make sure there was no question about the penalty.
    The Panthers were all over the Saints sideline and in Payton's face last season....I have no doubt that if Shockey wasn't the rat, he made no attempt to be quiet about it. All the excuses here in NOLA are pitiful......Payton covered it up, I don't care how many other teams were doing it. Go into traffic court and say everyone was speeding.....just try it. LOL
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by bmw600 View Post
    Well, it was before Leach, but they may have tried just that. Anyone else remember this? Sure looks a little more sinister now.

Good find.

Interesting that it's Will Smith of the Saints who comes in with both knees, to Flacco's head and ribs, after the Ravens quarterback had already clearly been tackled and released.

Smith is the second guy mentioned after Vilma who Goodell will be gunning for.

Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Apparently Payton approached Bill Parcells about coaching the Saints for the year. Makes a lot of sense. Payton worked for Parcells in Dallas. Payton was also with the Giants while Parcells was with Jets so they've known each other for a long time. I'm a big Parcells fans and would actually like to see this happen. If anyone has a shot to get the Saints to the Super Bowl the year it's being held in New Orleans it's Bill Parcells.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...aching-saints/
    I heard this the other day on SiriusNFL but they were speaking more in terms of a figurehead than assuming the HC duties. They have Spags who could do that. It would be interesting if they had a similar year to the Pats after spygate; how would Payton be perceived then?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

A couple of stray thoughts as I catch up on this thread:

1. If Shockey was a whistleblower, Warren Sapp could have put the NFL (and himself) in a super deep pile of shit by calling him out on NFLN. That right there is a big time no-no. If it was Shockey, which is just an "if," it could be a tremendous windfall for him and his attorney that he got outed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Vikings punter Chris Kluwe chimed in on PFT earlier about how he things Jon Vilma should have gotten a year long ban as well as Vilma specifically put out to the D that he'd personally cough up 10 g's for anyone who got Favre.
    That dude is my absolute favorite non-Raven, and more than anybody in the NFL is someone I'd love to have a few beers with.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Of course, taking any coaching job would reset his HOF clock, so that's unlikely. Also, if the Saints win, then they've shown that they don't need to pay Payton to get results from their roster. This has me scratching my head.
    The Super Bowl is in New Orleans and the roster, at least before suspensions, is very good. We all know that Parcells doesn't really want to coach but he's tried over and over again to become the only head coach in history to win a Super Bowl for 2 different teams. This would be his best shot.

From Payton's point of view he's getting a coach who he knows won't want the job next year. The only issue would be how much money Parcell's would want. Does Benson still have to pay Payton and then Payton pays the league or does Benson just not pay these guys while they are suspended? Obviously it's not necessarily the same rules with coaches and front office people as it is with players.

Blog Entries

Payton does not receive any pay this year - $7M roughly that they will not have to pay him. Make it $5M to Parcells, what a bargain ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Payton does not receive any pay this year - $7M roughly that they will not have to pay him. Make it $5M to Parcells, what a bargain ;)
    I know Payton doesn't get paid but does Benson have to pay the league what he would have paid Payton?

Americanmade2012 Guest

Actually Payton does get paid this year only 5.8 is taken away from him according to sources. Im not sure if he has guaranteed money that the NFL cant take away from him or what.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmade2012 View Post
    Actually Payton does get paid this year only 5.8 is taken away from him according to sources. Im not sure if he has guaranteed money that the NFL cant take away from him or what.
    I saw that from ESPN source so apparently he gets about $1.2M of the 7. I don't think Benson has to pay the money to the league or otherwise they wouldn't have fined the team - just speculating.

Blog Entries

"On Sunday, the NFLPA told players involved in the bounty case that there's a chance they could face criminal charges and it hired outside counsel to represent them if needed."

Another wow... just wow.

Story

Saints fans are protesting against the suspensions, unbelievable

Blog Entries

I'm not sure why Payton and others have appealed. Shouldn't get his hopes up...