Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Birk contract...

Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider
    Matt Birk's three-year, $8.52 million contract included a $2.1 million signing bonus, according to a league source.

Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider
    Matt Birk's deal has base salaries of $925,000, $2.75 million $2.75 million and cap figures: $1.625 million, $3.45 million and $3.45 million
    Not bad for this year.

I doubt he is here or has that same cap number next year.

Blog Entries

Re: Birk contract...

There is no way he will get that much in the next couple of seasons.

Blog Entries

So, I wonder if some of the people who were going nuts about signing Birk "for 3 million" will calm down now?

Blog Entries

The reality of the situation was that Matt Birk's veteran minimum was going to be high anyway, due to his years of service. It would not have been as high as 3,000,000, but it would not have been for a minor sixth of that either.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    So, I wonder if some of the people who were going nuts about signing Birk "for 3 million" will calm down now?
    I didn't post about it, but I was one of those people. This makes a lot more sense. Hopefully we get Zeitler, Blake, or Brewster, and they are ready to take over mid season. I think Molk could work too if the zone blocking scheme is here to stay. He's a little small, but athletic, and strong. Plus he seems to have a chip on his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not bad for this year.

I doubt he is here or has that same cap number next year.
    Good catch, exactly what I thought. First year right about 1.5 million or so, and nowhere near $3 million.

He won't see year 2 or 3 we all know that.

Blog Entries

makes a lot of sense and allows them to focus on more pressing needs this year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Good catch, exactly what I thought. First year right about 1.5 million or so, and nowhere near $3 million.

He won't see year 2 or 3 we all know that.
    Sure - but we will take a $1.4M cap hit for a player no longer on our roster. And as we see this year, cap space is precious. If this really is a one year deal, why pay him $3M+ for that one year ($925k base plus $2.1M bonus). Does anybody really think that was his market value? Seems like a panic move in retrospect. But then again, I am not an NFL GM.

Blog Entries

A 1.5 mill cap hit for a starting center (even if he is 36) is a great deal.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Sure - but we will take a $1.4M cap hit for a player no longer on our roster. And as we see this year, cap space is precious. If this really is a one year deal, why pay him $3M+ for that one year ($925k base plus $2.1M bonus). Does anybody really think that was his market value? Seems like a panic move in retrospect. But then again, I am not an NFL GM.
    They basically gave him a 1 year, $3.025 million deal, you are absolutely right. BUT they did the 3 years so they could only pay that $1.625 now, and then 700k in 2013 and 700k in 2014 if they designate him post June 1st release next year.

Did they overpay by about 500k to do this? Probably, but it isn't like we are talking about a lot of money here either way. A starting center is worth every bit of $3 million, and we structured the contract in a way where we got that and we can spread the cap hit over 3 years if we so choose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    I didn't post about it, but I was one of those people. This makes a lot more sense. Hopefully we get Zeitler, Blake, or Brewster, and they are ready to take over mid season. I think Molk could work too if the zone blocking scheme is here to stay. He's a little small, but athletic, and strong. Plus he seems to have a chip on his shoulder.
    Common sense at the time dictated that the contract was going to look something like this. And still, some people were up in arms about 3 million for Birk. The FO aren't fools; they retained a decent starting C for very little, and are in the process of closing as many gaps in the lineup as possible before the draft so we don't have to reach or depend on a rookie if they aren't ready.

Blog Entries

So if Birk only plays this season there will be about $1.5 million of dead money against years cap? Is that right?