Peyton - can he REALLY make a difference?

Heard on Sirius NFL network this morning that the Bronco's odds of winning a SB this season improved from 75:1 to 8:1 with the announcement of Peyton's contract with Denver.

I'm sure much of this is to balance the books with the amount of money coming in on Denver now, (god forbid they would have to pay out!)

But in reality, can Peyton really have THAT big of an effect on the Broncos?

Apparently he worked out for a couple teams and a video of him throwing was circulating among interested parties. I just find it hard to believe that he's fully healed or won't be awfully fragile out there.

4 "proceedures" on the neck. I'm awfully skeptical.

What say you?

Re: Peyton - can he REALLY make a difference?

Manning was going to be a gamble for any team that signed him because of the neck surgeries. But a number of teams leapt at the chance, because the other side of the coin is that no one is able to state that he positively can't return to something approaching his old form. Age and statistics are against him in that regard, and I'm still doubtful we'll see the Manning of old. But it's not impossible, and if there's one player in the NFL who will work his butt off to pull it off, Manning would be the guy. And if he can, plus somehow get Denver to a Super Bowl, won't John Elway & co. look like the geniuses of the century?

As to the fortunes of the Broncos in 2012, a lot is going to depend on the non-Manning pieces. Will their defense be as good this year as last? Could it be better? And what other free agent help might they sign, particularly on offense to help Manning? By all accounts Denver has a lot of cap space. How would you feel, for example, if they enticed Mike Wallace away from Pittsburgh?

I agree that 8:1 seems a bit out of whack, but that'll probably back off once some of the initial euphoria dies down.

Blog Entries

With the team that Denver assembled last year, they won the AFC West and advanced to the Divisional Round of the Playoffs. For Peyton to make a significant difference, they would have to win the Super Bowl. I don't think that he is going to make that much of a difference.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Peyton will now get to experience football in cold weather and no dome. If he is that great, yea, he'll make a difference. Will defenses treat him differently because of his neck problems? Will the refs now show special interest to protect him? Personally. the broncos will not get to the SB this year.

8:1? I wonder what the odds are that Manning plays more than 8 games?

I would be surprised to see Manning make a difference.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

He's certainly going to be better than Teblow, but I agree with Mr T, will Manning play more or less than 8 games?

Also, unless Denver makes a lot of other moves on the offensive side of the ball, Peyton will not have a strong supporting cast, and will be playing outdoors, etc.

They should be favored to win the AFCW, but I don't see them going very far in the playoffs.

Manning's neck isn't any more fragile than the neck of a QB who has never had any neck problems. In fact it is likely stronger. The odds of injury are not any higher than any other 36-yr-old QB. The issue is whether the nerve has regenerated (or will regenerate) back to 100% so that his arm strength and grip and feel is the way it used to be.

Manning absolutely makes a huge difference assuming he and his receivers put in some extra work to get the timing down and he grasps the offense (which is a safe assumption).

The Vegas odds adjustment is very sensible. The Broncos' passing offense just upgraded massively (from terrible to good). The running offense was great (with Tebow's totals) and will still be good (without them). The Broncos' defense should be strong, especially because they have decent pass rushers who will be playing with a lead more than they have in the past.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 03-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.

8. Re: Peyton - can he REALLY make a difference?

I think the Super Bowl expectations might be a little over blown. They were doing a poll on ESPN/NFL Network (forget which one) asking if they thought the Broncos would win a play off game, win the afc champ, or win a super bowl. Something like 75-85% said win a super bowl...

History seems to show that Great QBs who stick with one team in one system for their entire careers tend not to be as explosive on a new team for the last few years of their career. Think Joe Montana, Brett Farve, etc.

I think Peyton could be different, and more importantly they have the cap space to actually build a team around him. Add in the AFC West is by far the worst division (yes the NFC West is not the worst) and you have an easy road to the playoffs... maybe even a bye.

If healthy, big difference. If he collects a paycheck and sits out half the year? They will miss Tim Tebow.

I agree with lovefootball above. I think that Manning will have to vastly readjust his game without dome cover for his home contests.

His first pass will be a 97 yarder, the world will rejoice and proclaim the exhalted one is back. Then he will get sacked on the next series and go on IR for the season, and there will be a big tebow revolt, Elways will be lambasted and Brady Quinn will be LOL'ing for a while...... I don't see them being much better though.....