Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Birk to finalise return

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Wilfork is who he is for a reason.

Maybe it is just the way I think, but I found it doubly galling that it was Wilfork who beat the Ravens. Recall that he was taken with the 21st pick of the 2004 draft. That pick originally belonged to the Ravens, but it was sent to the Patriots in 2003 so Ozzie could move back up into the first round again to take Kyle Boller. That meant that in 2004, a particularly bad draft that cemented Billick's destiny, the defensive lineman they took was Dwan Edwards in the second round instead of Wilfork in the first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Maybe it is just the way I think, but I found it doubly galling that it was Wilfork who beat the Ravens. Recall that he was taken with the 21st pick of the 2004 draft. That pick originally belonged to the Ravens, but it was sent to the Patriots in 2003 so Ozzie could move back up into the first round again to take Kyle Boller. That meant that in 2004, a particularly bad draft that cemented Billick's destiny, the defensive lineman they took was Dwan Edwards in the second round instead of Wilfork in the first.
    From what I remember in the book 'Next Man Up' the FO was looking for a Wide Receiver that year. The guy they targeted was Rashaun Woods who turned out to be a huge bust, so I wouldn't feel too bad about missing that pick. It doesn't sound like they wanted Wilfork.

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Insurance, insurance, insurance.

IMO the Grubbs signing got Ozzie worried.
    Cap space is limited.
    Cheap, competent FA interior linemen are drying up.
    Birk's older, not as good at Moving those NTs anymore, but he's smart and at least a decent way to ensure the center of the line isn't a complete turnstile.

I still think OL help/depth will be a target in the draft.
    Is that you Ozzie?

That line above regarding Birk is exactly the way I think Ozzie viewed the situation.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!