Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: NFL Docking Teams' 2012 Available Cap for uncapped year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I listened to Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan this afternoon and agree with them. This whole thing is complete bullshit. As Tim Ryan said, how does the league determine what's dumping and what's a decision to improve the roster? Haynesworth was the example. A new coach and GM come to the Redskins. They inherit a bad contract and a player that is out of shape and has a horrible attitude. They cut him. Since that time 2 other teams have cut him. So in the spirit of the uncapped season they're supposed to keep this dud?
    FWIW, the violations apparently didn't come from dumping Haynesworth - which happened at the end of the uncapped year, but in the renegotiation that they did with him at the beginning of the uncapped year, by which they converted a large option bonus - that would have been prorated over the remaining length of the deal - into a roster bonus that all counting in the uncapped year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

The NFLPA was apparently on board. In return, they got an increased Salary Cap for this year, since the numbers weren't otherwise there:
    So why did the union agree? The sources explain that the NFL offered to help pump up the 2012 team-by-team salary cap in exchange for the union’s agreement to remove cap money from the Cowboys and Redskins. One source said that, without the NFLPA’s agreement regarding the removal of cap room from the Cowboys and Redskins, the 2012 salary cap would have been in the range of $116 million per team. (One source said that the number at one point was presented to the union as being a paltry $113.5 million.) With the players agreeing to remove $46 million from the Cowboys and Redskins, the league agreed to a massaging of the salary and benefit numbers in order to get the 2012 salary cap up to $120.6 million. (The recalculation also kicked in some additional money that otherwise would not have been devoted to salary and benefits for 2012.)
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cap-sanctions/

Apparently this isn't even coming from the league. It came from other owners who felt that these 4 teams went against the spirit of the agreement by cutting certain players which dumped their big bonus money into the uncapped year. If those teams had a Jamarcus Russell or a Albert Haynesworth they would have just put up with them? I doubt it. Both the Redskins and Cowboys are teams that I really can't stand but I have to call this the way I see it and to me it's payback time from owners who hate the fact that these 4 teams had driven up salaries over the years.
    You're answering your own question.

The league IS the owners and vice versa. The owners / league had an agreement not to dump contract money during the uncapped year and four teams decided otherwise, warned not to do it and are now paying the price.

Good article, written at the time, of what the Skins did with the Haynesworth and Hall contracts that has gotten them into hot water:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/und...-uncapped-year

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Good article, written at the time, of what the Skins did with the Haynesworth and Hall contracts that has gotten them into hot water:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/und...-uncapped-year
    And he called this the day he wrote it.

As I’ve previously written, given the uncertainty of what 2011 holds, clubs who take advantage of the uncapped year by incurring high team salaries in 2010 run the risk of possibly being penalized in 2011 as part of a new salary cap and CBA. Clearly, this is a risk the Redskins are willing to take -- or perhaps they know something the rest of us don’t.
    It sounds like the Skins and Cowboys saw a tiny loophole with the voidable years/money, knew that it might get them in hot water and decided to roll the dice anyway. 30 teams saw it differently.

They were wrong, and it is going cost them a hell of a lot of cap space, crippling them for the next 2 years and possibly the next 3-4 digging out of this hole.

RG3 better have balls of steel because the next few years or so are going to be hell.

I listened to Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan this afternoon and agree with them. This whole thing is complete bullshit. As Tim Ryan said, how does the league determine what's dumping and what's a decision to improve the roster? Haynesworth was the example. A new coach and GM come to the Redskins. They inherit a bad contract and a player that is out of shape and has a horrible attitude. They cut him. Since that time 2 other teams have cut him. So in the spirit of the uncapped season they're supposed to keep this dud?

Apparently this isn't even coming from the league. It came from other owners who felt that these 4 teams went against the spirit of the agreement by cutting certain players which dumped their big bonus money into the uncapped year. If those teams had a Jamarcus Russell or a Albert Haynesworth they would have just put up with them? I doubt it. Both the Redskins and Cowboys are teams that I really can't stand but I have to call this the way I see it and to me it's payback time from owners who hate the fact that these 4 teams had driven up salaries over the years.
    so...if I'm reading what you're saying correctly....you are essentially saying that the Redskins should be allowed to cash their self-granted-get-out-of-jail-free card simply because they gave out awful contracts to players? Where's the merit in that? Frankly, how well or how poorly Haynesworth played should be irrelevant in this discussion. They paid him the money. They deserve the rewards or the consequences.

I'm sure by the start of the 2010 season, when Domonique Foxworth was sitting on the sidelines with a torn ACL, the Ravens would have loved to convert the rest of his guaranteed money into a 2010 bonus and wash their hands of him and his bloated contract. They didn't though. They had respect for the rules given to them by the league office.

Your logic here, GOTA, confounds me. You are essentially adopting the "two wrongs make a right" defense. They were morons to give Haynesworth that type of contract and were even bigger morons to think that they could erase the first mistake with an even larger second mistake (ignoring league mandates). It makes no sense, sir.

For the record, every team has crappy contracts on the books. Every team would love a way to relieve themselves of these type of contracts. Only Dallas and Washington attempted to solve them illegally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    The NFLPA was apparently on board. In return, they got an increased Salary Cap for this year, since the numbers weren't otherwise there:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cap-sanctions/
    So is the $1.6M extra already included in the $120.6M cap or is the cap now $122.2?

Blog Entries

We now know why Ozzie didnt release Willis during the uncapped year

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    So is the $1.6M extra already included in the $120.6M cap or is the cap now $122.2?
    $122.2.

Our 5.7 million went to 7.3 million with that new money, and then up to 8.1 million with no tender to Lawrence and the lowest tender to Ellerbe.

8.1 million is plenty of room to maneuver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    so...if I'm reading what you're saying correctly....you are essentially saying that the Redskins should be allowed to cash their self-granted-get-out-of-jail-free card simply because they gave out awful contracts to players? Where's the merit in that? Frankly, how well or how poorly Haynesworth played should be irrelevant in this discussion. They paid him the money. They deserve the rewards or the consequences.

I'm sure by the start of the 2010 season, when Domonique Foxworth was sitting on the sidelines with a torn ACL, the Ravens would have loved to convert the rest of his guaranteed money into a 2010 bonus and wash their hands of him and his bloated contract. They didn't though. They had respect for the rules given to them by the league office.

Your logic here, GOTA, confounds me. You are essentially adopting the "two wrongs make a right" defense. They were morons to give Haynesworth that type of contract and were even bigger morons to think that they could erase the first mistake with an even larger second mistake (ignoring league mandates). It makes no sense, sir.

For the record, every team has crappy contracts on the books. Every team would love a way to relieve themselves of these type of contracts. Only Dallas and Washington attempted to solve them illegally.
    It's a different story dealing with a player on IR than players who don't want to play or don't play up to their contracts. Both the Redskins and Cowboys have already come out with statements saying that they didn't do anything wrong. You're not reading any apologies like the Saints did for the bounties. They don't believe they are wrong because under the rules at the time they weren't.

The league has to sign off on every contract before its official. They signed off on all of these deals at the time.

This is simply the revenge of Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson against those owners who spent big over the years. Those cheapskates have complained forever about owners paying top dollar for players and now are in a position to punish them.

Blog Entries

I'm sure if this were happening to Philadelphia the Redskins would be laughing hysterically.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

GOTA - I definitely agree that this is probably the rest of the owners giving Danny Boy and Jerrah Jones a big F-U for all of the ridiculous spending they do.

I can't say that I blame them though. How many years do we roll our eyes at these stupid contracts that the Redskins sign their players to and then completely screws over the rest of the league? Al Davis did the same thing.

I'm surprised he didn't manipulate the cap during that season also.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.