Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Will the Constant use of the Franchise Tag Hurt the Ravens?

The player has to sign an offer sheet with another team as a RFA if they want to leave. I guess we'll see if that happens come March 13.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was way more to do with his agent talking shit. Rice has already publicly stated that he wants to remain in Baltimore and will be a Raven for a long time, he hasn't publicly complained once about his contract, we have no evidence of Rice EVER stating that he deserves AP type money, other than a bunch of hot air that came from his agents mouth.

While we're at it, lets talks Flacco's agent doing the exact same thing demanding top 5 QB money.
    The agents work for the players.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

That was way more to do with his agent talking shit. Rice has already publicly stated that he wants to remain in Baltimore and will be a Raven for a long time, he hasn't publicly complained once about his contract, we have no evidence of Rice EVER stating that he deserves AP type money, other than a bunch of hot air that came from his agents mouth.

While we're at it, lets talks Flacco's agent doing the exact same thing demanding top 5 QB money.
    He never demanded top 5 QB money, he said Flacco was one of the top 5 QBs. It's posturing

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He never demanded top 5 QB money, he said Flacco was one of the top 5 QBs. It's posturing
    Yeah, he said that if winning is most important, Joe would have to be considered top 5, based on what he's accomplished since coming into the league.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The ability or inability to pay Ray Rice will not affect this franchise's reputation for paying to keep the best players.

Assuming for a moment he gets away after a year franchised, he'd be the first guy franchised & leaving in how long? I can't even remember the last one.

This doom and gloom about leaving the signing to the last minute has been around a long time. I don't see this off season's brand of it as any more meritorious than the same talk in years past.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

It hasn't really hurt us thus far tbh, I don't see any major problems with it. Just allows us to lock up our players without the risk of losing them via FA.
    Ultimately, the Ravens can't control what other teams spend, or what comparable players to our guys get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk
    the ravens have never franchised a player and failed to reach a long term deal with them. its just business, and the ravens have shown that they are commited to their franchise players....i don't see how it could hurt the ravens.
    Well, there's a first time for everything. An agent w/ an axe to grind and/or a player that doesn't "play like a Raven" at the negotiation table could ignore/defy the team's track record in the past. We can hope that drafting guys w/ "character," treating them professionally while under their first contract, and winning will continue to count for something.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese
    The longer you can get the player to play on his rookie contract (which unless you are a top 10 pick is usually very manageable) the more potential value you can get out of said player. When judging a player by production per dollar paid, the rookie contract is the EASIEST way to attain maximum production for minimum value. The fact that Ray Rice was the league leader in scrimmage and was only paid 555,000 in 2011 is PERFECT maximization of value....A final note: Ozzie's strategy of letting players play their entire rookie contract then signing the most important players is contingent on the fact that, when the time comes, the most important players will in fact get their money and sign with the Ravens. As long as this keeps happening, his strategy is sound.
    As much as a question of value, it's getting as full read as possible on the player's potential and avoiding the commitment of guaranteed $ before (god forbid) a player playing before FA eligibility is injured. This last factor may be cold, but it's also business. Yes, salaries (especially of top shelf players) will always inflate from year to year as long as folks like us keep tuning in, buying tickets, tee-shirts, fantasy leagues, etc. etc. But until the Ravens lose a player they really want by tagging him and then not getting him signed amicably in due time, I'm willing to say Ozzie's strategy ain't broke; don't fix it.

Blog Entries

You can count on one hand how many times the Ravens have used the tag. And only twice did the player actually end the season without a new contract, we will see what happens with Rice.

If you are using the tag that means you've got players worth keeping. I don't have a problem with that. I am more concerned about the Ravens overpaying for other team's free agents. Foxworth's contract was terrible. I like Leach and what he brought to the table but he was making more than our RB's combined last year. No FB is worth that. We didn't overpay for Boldin but we should have known that there would come a time when he wasn't worth what he was paid. That time is now. I like value FA signing like Corey Redding and Chris Carr's first contract. Those are solid role players at bargain prices.

To the OP question, I have no problem with the Ravens use of the tag so far. The results indicate the Ravens have used the tag to retain the best players, extend the negotiation window and to eventually sign the aforementioned players to a responsible and generous contract that may not always be the "top of market".

That being said, the use of the tag can make me a bit nervous. You go into a one-year deal with a player that can help the team be successful. So far I think the Ravens have made pretty smart use of the tag. I'm not worried.

It depends on the agent, if the agent has crazy demands you have to use the tag. But always tagging, if you don't get a deal done hurts you in who you can sign in FA, then in turn limits your draft options to fill need more than taking better players instead.

Blog Entries

The Ravens have used the tag on...

Rice
    Ngata
    Suggs (x2)
    CMac (x2)
    Boulware?
    Wally Williams?

I think they key is that the Ravens are using the franchise tag the way it was intended. It's supposed to be a tool to help you extend negotiations with a premier player for your franchise without fear of losing them without compensation. The Ravens have never used the tag without the goal of doing a long term deal. In fact, I don't think we've ever done it without exhausting negotiations up to the tag deadline.

The "wrong way" to use the tag would be what the Chargers did with Vincent Jackson. It's becoming clear they had no plans to sign him to a long term deal, they used the tag to just retain his rights until they couldn't anymore. I think the players' key issue with the franchise tag is the lack of security against injury. The one year deal is fully guaranteed, and they get a nice chunk of money, but if you get injured while playing on the one year tender, that's all she wrote. You have no bonus check to sustain you for a few more years. Your value is suddenly impacted by that.

The Ravens are a solid organization. No one has ever accused them of being cheapskates or not taking care of their players. We poured money into a top notch facility for players to train at. It has even won over some free agents. No one has ever come back after negotiating with the Ravens and said "Man, Ozzie is ridiculous, he wouldn't pay ANYTHING for a good player". The tag is a necessary evil because of how well we draft. Look at the guys we've tagged...each one is a top player at their position. These deals don't come together that easy. I think some guys might get frustrated that the Ravens wait until the end of their deals to re-negotiatem but that is within our rights as a team and all we're doing there is getting maximum value out of the contract.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavNMadMan View Post
    To the OP question, I have no problem with the Ravens use of the tag so far. The results indicate the Ravens have used the tag to retain the best players, extend the negotiation window and to eventually sign the aforementioned players to a responsible and generous contract that may not always be the "top of market".

That being said, the use of the tag can make me a bit nervous. You go into a one-year deal with a player that can help the team be successful. So far I think the Ravens have made pretty smart use of the tag. I'm not worried.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with the way the Ravens used the tag either. I even posted in the Ray Rice thread that they had no choice but to use the tag. What I'm trying to do is look at this from a players perspective. Things have really changed in the NFL under the new CBA. I'm not going to be shocked if we wake up one day and one of our RFAs decided to look elsewhere which is something that didn't happen much in the past. That doesn't mean the Ravens are handling things the wrong way. It just means that with a different NFL world out there than we've seen before they may have to adjust the way they do things. If they do sign Flacco and Webb and year early like they talked about that would be a great change.

Blog Entries

Does RFA prohibit a player from initiating the dialog with another team? I'd be willing to bet our RFAs at least talk to other teams, even in the past. Generally, we haven't had a "risky" RFA who was a clear upgrade to other teams, so most of the guys were "simple re-signings" where other teams didn't offer them anything because the draft choice compensation wasn't worth it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!