Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Why? I am still waitin on anybody to tell me how luck or RG3, besides height, is a better qb than Wilson.
    Because Luck is just as athletic as Wilson, is a year younger, has a better arm and was coached by a former NFL quarterback for much of his collegiate career. Luck, at 6'4" 235lbs, is just as athletic (speed, agility, etc) as Cam Newton and that combination of size, athleticism, and passing ability is rare in collegiate quarterbacks.

RGIII, aside from being 6'2" 220lbs, is 2 years younger, has a better arm than Wilson, has something like a 70% completion rate in multiple years at Baylor, and is faster than most receivers. Furthermore, Russell Wilson had an outstanding OL at Wisconsin, a heisman finalist and doak walker finalist at RB, and a WR who is potentially going to be taken in the 1st three rounds of this draft. Outside of Kendall Wright Jr, who did RGIII really have? Could you imagine what RGIII could have done if he and Wilson had swapped places?

The bottom line with 1st round QB's is upside though. Which guy has the most probable future for success in the NFL. Which guy gives a team the best chance of winning regardless of the offensive system.

Who knows, Luck could turn out to be the next Ryan Leaf and RGIII could turn out to be the next Akili Smith, but at the end of the day any coach in the NFL, any scout, and any GM is going to look at Andrew Luck and RGIII as better prospects than Russell Wilson.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

2. Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Fair enough. Then why would you suggest the Ravens use their 1st round selection on him. Are you not sold on Flacco?
    I think Flacco developing great. but am i sold on Flacco can lead the ravens to a superbowl? NO. Not without a good defense and running game. Wilson already has better pocket awareness than flacco. He knows how to extend plays, he is more faster and athletic, he moves in the pocket, he knows how to throw the ball away or when to take a sack. Joe Flacco has been in the leauge 4yrs now and still struggles in these areas sometimes. Where i see Wilson already knows what to do and can make every throw Flacco can make.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

You're right. I "must didn't". Who taught you english?

Apparently, no one.

I think Flacco developing great. but am i sold on Flacco can lead the ravens to a superbowl? NO. Not without a good defense and running game. Wilson already has better pocket awareness than flacco. He knows how to extend plays, he is more faster and athletic, he moves in the pocket, he knows how to throw the ball away or when to take a sack. Joe Flacco has been in the leauge 4yrs now and still struggles in these areas sometimes. Where i see Wilson already knows what to do and can make every throw Flacco can make.
    So this thread was more about replacing Flacco than about Wilson being the best QB in the draft. Got it. Thanks

Blog Entries

You do know that Flacco took less sacks this past season as a result of him developing better pocket awareness and evasiveness...right?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Seriously your either trolling, or you have an IQ of a goldfish.

Even if a team REALLY wanted him they would wait for the 4th round to get him, and could draft for their needs in the first three rounds. Why waste a pick on a player who isn't even possibly going to be drafted in the 4th round? He wont survive in the NFL with that height, yes he was a great college QB who benefitted from the best Oline in college football, with a great running game, and having Nick Toon to throw to. He will stay in the league as a back up for a few years then will probably be released or something, and stop trying to compare him to RG3 or Luck, they are much more accurate throwers, and RG3 is still a lot more mobile than Wilson, in fact it's arguable that Luck is just as mobile as Wilson.

You can't even put him close to Tannehill or Weeden, comon man. Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers are completely different stories, Brady was barely known out of college and is still around 6 foot 4, Rogers was a first round pick and was projected as a first round pick, don't even try and say it's the same situation here.

There is absoultely zero chance this guy will get drafted in a high round and thought of as being a starter somewhere, I would start Tyrod Taylor over him any day. Btw may I suggest you type with at least slightly better grammar, especially if your going to debate with people here. Your excused if your not from an English speaking country.

Blog Entries

You still not telling me why? These people who get paid to analyze players are not always right. we know that. Kyle Boller is a prime example. I want to know what make Luck and RG3 a better qb. your opinion. simply saying someone else says so is not a legit answer.
    Of course they're not always right. That means some team who feels the same way you do will be thrilled when they get him in the 5th round. The Ravens felt that way last year with Tyrod Taylor. They showed that by not even bringing in another QB. That's a tremendous amount of faith in a rookie.

Now I will tell you in my opinion RGIII is able to something that I've never seen before. He can go through his progressions while he's scrambling. The only player I saw able to do some of that was Steve Young and that's only because quarterbacks were told to stay in the pocket a lot more when he played. If I were the Colts he would be the guy that I took over Luck. I personally think that RGIII has the potential to be a special player.

The value you place on players is whatever value you choose to place on a player. The qb position is the most important position on a football team. This is why QB's get paid the most out off all positions. And 9 times out of the 10 a superbowl winning qb is a guy that was drafted by that team. Aaron Rodgers fell in the draft in the first round to the 24th pick. What did teams VALUE him as? Tom Brady fell to the 7th round. Where did teams Value him at? He was a 1st round talent that got overlook.
    You started out defending the idea that the Ravens should use a first-round pick on a guy that no one else has better than a fourth-round grade on...but you ended up citing examples of quarterbacks who were drafted later than their true value should have dictated. (Brees, a second rounder, might be another example that would support the opposite point you wanted to make. Brady, BTW, was a sixth rounder).

I'll give you this much credit, you made me wrack my brain to think of a quarterback who was drafted way earlier than the rest of the league valued him at, and succeeded. I actually came up with an example, sort of. Tim Tebow.

The Broncos employed logic that was only slightly less whacked than some of the logic you have offered in this thread, and they traded up to get the Ravens' first round pick to take Tebow, a player that you'd be hard pressed to find another team in the league who valued him as a first round pick. While I don't think he'll ever live up to the expectations for a first-round QB, he certainly exceeded some expectations this past season.

Your argument that quarterbacks are high-value positions, and therefore merit high-round picks has a little validity. Teams have always tended to reach for quarterbacks, hoping they become franchise-savers.

However, that type of QB is usually the guy who has the tools (size, arm strength, etc) but lacks the intangibles. Wilson lacks some of the tools, but perhaps, by your estimation at least, has the intangibles. Normally I can go along with that argument, but not for the QB position. As Wicked has mentioned, there are not a lot of success stories, other than perhaps Flutie, for this type of player. Maybe Jeff Garcia I'd add, although he probably had 2" over Wilson. And, like Flutie, Garcia had to go to the CFL to prove he could play before the NFL let him in the back door.

To me, the CFL is the type of spot for Wilson, and if he is everything you believe he is, the league will take notice.

He suck at the senior bowl so he is complete garbage? lol. you must didnt read my post.

Enough said.

If wilson was 6'4 he would be the number 1 pick in the draft....
    And if your Aunt had balls, she'd be your Uncle.
    She doesn't and isn't; Wilson isn't and won't be.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Huh? What . . .? Did I miss a whole month? Is it April 1 already?

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman
    If wilson was 6'4 he would be the number 1 pick in the draft....

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    And if your Aunt had balls, she'd be your Uncle.
    She doesn't and isn't; Wilson isn't and won't be.
    jay, yours is the most intelligent post of this thread... Bc