Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 65
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,299
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick



    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Flutie, imo, stands as an example that the prejudices of GM's and NFL coaches don't always work out. He was too short to be a QB in their estimation, so he bounced around the league. That he won football games and was very effective everywhere he went seems to have played second fiddle to his height.

    I care more about whether or not a player can play the game than his physical attributes. If Wilson is available in a late round, I could see Ozzie grabbing him to compete with Taylor for the back-up spot. If he ends up pushing Flacco for the starter's role, that's a bonus.

    I agree with the sentiment that using a first round pick on a guy who is probably going to be available in the later rounds is foolish. That's true even if you think you're looking at the next Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, or Dan Marino (guys that retired at the top, statistically, at their position).
    Flutie also played 8 seasons in the CFL before making any real noise in the NFL.

    It definitely stands as an example, but Flutie is more of an anomaly than anything. It is RARE that a guy his size has had that level of success in the NFL.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,683
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Pike was also 6'6", haha.

    Honestly, Wilson has a decent arm on him and he's got big hands & a high release, which bode well for him. I just don't think he's going to have the opportunity because no coach or GM is going to look at him as anything more than a back up. If he was a legit 6' (Brees is 6' and change) then I could see a coach being able to look past the height disadvantage, but he's under 5'11". That alone is going to make it extremely difficult for him to overcome and I doubt he does.

    Other than Doug Flutie, what sub-6' quarterback has ever had any amount of legitimate success in the past 20 years? There are plenty of guys in college that can throw the ball well and are under 6' or right at 6' and it's very difficult for them to break that barrier. Case Keenum is another QB right now coming out of Houston and he is right at 6' and is just a pure passer, but Houston's offense was designed for a QB to throw the ball 50+ times a game and didn't need a guy to be a prototypical NFL passer.
    Jeff Blake is the only one I can think of. Like Brees, Blake had a huge arm and a very quick delivery.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Wilson reminds me of Tony Pike the Cincinnati QB who was drafted by the Panthers. Both were effective game managers who really aren't overly impressive to watch. Matt Flynn was also the same way but he grew his game far beyond that in the NFL. Will Wilson do the same or will he be out of the league in a year like Pike?
    I don't know college football, but I know that, regardless of whether you like Flacco or not, you have to realize we would be idiots to replace him with a boom-or-bust type project. If Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin magically fell to our spot, I would have no issue drafting them and letting them have an honest competition with Flacco. But precisely the argument I have against anyone who rails that we need to run Flacco out of town is that, while the guy may not be top 5, he's also above average in the league. That means there's a better than even chance that if you decide to do the bold thing and replace him, the odds are that the guy you get will end up being a downgrade.

    Lots of guys who have looked like surefire money players to "guys who know football" have ended up washed up out of the league with the "BUST" status next to their name. Did you think Tom Brady was going to be the next superstar when he came out in 2000? Because 32 NFL teams would've wondered what you were thinking. And yes, I said 32, because the Patriots also didn't think he was going to be as big as he turned out to be.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,683
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Trash Heap? Really? Why was this moved? I don't agree with drafting Wilson but how is it that bad to start a thread about it?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,307

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    If folks want it moved back, I will.

    At the time it was moved, there were more insults than actual debate.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,683
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I don't know college football, but I know that, regardless of whether you like Flacco or not, you have to realize we would be idiots to replace him with a boom-or-bust type project. If Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin magically fell to our spot, I would have no issue drafting them and letting them have an honest competition with Flacco. But precisely the argument I have against anyone who rails that we need to run Flacco out of town is that, while the guy may not be top 5, he's also above average in the league. That means there's a better than even chance that if you decide to do the bold thing and replace him, the odds are that the guy you get will end up being a downgrade.

    Lots of guys who have looked like surefire money players to "guys who know football" have ended up washed up out of the league with the "BUST" status next to their name. Did you think Tom Brady was going to be the next superstar when he came out in 2000? Because 32 NFL teams would've wondered what you were thinking. And yes, I said 32, because the Patriots also didn't think he was going to be as big as he turned out to be.
    Just because they draft a QB doesn't mean they're looking to replace Flacco. That certainly wasn't the case last year with TT. Ozzie learned under Belechick and old Bill takes QBs in many drafts and even much higher than Ozzie. I haven't seen 1 beat out Tom Brady but that hasn't stopped the Pats from drafting them.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,307

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    The OP and others have expressed an interest to keep this one going so it's been moved back.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,416
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    can we also bring in Ricky Proehl? Come on, man!
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,299
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    It just doesn't make sense to use a draft pick on a guy that you don't envision as a contributor in the future.

    Now, if he goes undrafted and is invited to Baltimore to try out for the team as a UDFA, then cool.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #34

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    RUSSEL WISLON SHOULD BE #1 PICK FOR RAVENS

    Wilson by far is the most NFL ready QB in this draft. He has the footwork of a Drew Brees and the escapibility of a young McNabb. His pocket awareness is almost Manning like. A born leader like Ray Lewis and plays with a chip on his shoulder like Tom Brady. He has the arm and the touch to make every throw. He can maneuver in the pocket, make throws on the run , extend plays, and he protects the ball. All this is overlook because he is 5’11 in stature, 3 inches shorter that RG3 and 5 inches shorter than Luck. But outweighs them both in skills. Not only did throw for over 8,500 yards in 3yrs (2 1/2yrs as starter) at NC State but pass for 76 TD’s. Of course rewards and records followed him during his time there. In 2010 he was drafted by the Colorado Rockies to play 2nd base. Second Base and shortstop is the most athletic positions in baseball I remind you.

    Even after all his success he still wanted to play football and live his dream of being a NFL quarterback. On June 27th 2011 he was released from his football scholarship from NC State and transferred to Wisconsin. In one month time he learned the playbook and got the starting position. He threw for over 3,100 yards and 33 TD’s with only 4 int’s with a 191.8 passer rating (76%completion). Wisconsin was 2nd behind Stanford in red zone offense. These mean he does not turn the ball over and makes smart decisions inside the red zone and scores TD’s.(Wisconsin 95%, Stanford 98%). He led Wisconsin to a Big Ten Championship. Still not impressed yet? Or is his height still a concern for you? His starting offensive line average height was 6’5 which is on par with NFL lineman. Any NFL scout who perfected his craft will see that Wilson is the best QB available in this draft. If any team drafts RG3 or Luck before him it is simply because of a few INCHES in height not how they play the game. For each team that will pass on him they will regret it deeply i.e.; Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. He has a GOD given skill set and athletics to become one of the new breed of QBs the NFL has not yet seen. Coming from a family of lawyers his knowledge and IQ are superb and is not in question. He is a baller, he does not know anything else.

    Anybody that actually knows football and the QB position can look at tape of Russel Wilson and see that he does and knows stuff that Joe Flacco still does not know how to do. Or is still learning how to do. Like pocket awareness, learning when to throw ball away, when to take a sack, how to extend plays in pocket. Granted Flacco had succes in the leauge so far. i will pin more on the Baltimore raven Team for his success than his individual performence.

    PS- He ran a 4.55 40yard dash for those who like to look at numbers.

    AWARDS AND RECORDS:
    2008- ACC Rookie of year
    2008- 1st team All ACC
    2009-(NCAA RECORD) Most passing attempts without throwing a INT(389)
    2010- 2nd team all ACC
    2010-11-(NCAA RECORD) Most consecutive game with TD pass(38)
    2011- Big 10 QB of the year
    2011- Big 10 Championship game MVP
    2011-(NCAA RECORD) Pass Efficiency for single season (191.8)
    You are either his agent or dating his sister but to suggest that he should be first round material when everybody else has him rated 4th round or worse is a bit of a stretch.
    So he has some success at the collegiate level but let me ask you the question. If he's the most NFL bound QB would you adivse the Colts to take him #1 overall? You're fascination with Wilson seems to suggest that the's going to take the league by storm and you're suggestion that the Ravens should select him in the first round clearly shows you don't have a good pulse on the team's needs.




  11. #35

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    I like Wilson, had great college career. He will find a job somewhere. His height is what won't make him a high pick. I see some team taking him later in the draft. He is a pretty accurate passer. Height can be overrated, but no team will give up more than a 5th rounder for him, IMO. Good player, smart player, though. Ravens won't take him, they have other needs and Tyrod Taylor will a similar skillset.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,936
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens should draft Russel Wilson with 1st round pick

    Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    ...Tom Brady fell to the 7th round...
    Tom Brady was a 6th round draft choice, you're wrong about that, and wrong about drafting Wilson in the 1st round. This thread just goes to prove that anyone can start one... Bc




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland