Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens release Chris Carr per kffl

Good freind Blake who runs scouting for the Titans told me before the season began Ravens would be easily best team in AFC. The ONLY weakness he saw lack of size, experience and overall proven speed at the WR position, which Flacco needed. He told me then that not landing FLoyd was a huge loss. He was right and left the Ravens just not good enough. Expect the Ravens to go after a big WR either in the draft early or FA. Since the Ravens dont use crossing patterns and basically expect the WR to beat the man 1-1, Floyd was perfect. Basically Flacco needs an athletic tall WR to throw jump balls to in single coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    At the time the Ravens were pursuing Floyd, Ngata was still franchised. The Ravens had no wiggle room for negotiations at the time. That 2.5 million extra would of landed Floyd. History might be different and his 6'5 frame and 20 yard average per catch would look real good right now and probably the perfect peice Flacco needed, that's why the Ravens targeted him.
    Except, they signed Ricky Williams and his $1.05M cap number a couple of days later and traded for Lee Evans and his $3.375M salary a week or so after that.

Floyd's base deal was 2 years, $5M and his 2011 Cap number appears to have been $2.5M.

Again, they could have signed Floyd if they wanted to.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

see, these treads are awesome - keep the FA thread for other teams ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Floyd at 6'5 and fast who can also leap. He played 12 games, had 856 yards, and nearly 20 yard average! 20 yard average! That is what the Ravens needed more than anything his presence. Had they got him the offense would be totally different. I bet we don't even play in NE, likely they get HFA. But, Ngata was still
    franchised at the time they were trying to sign him and that 2.5 million would of put us over the top, plus the 3.75 million for this year could have been added. He was the first peice and most important peice the Ravens identified last season, but came up a few bucks short. He would sure look good in purple last year and now.
    But we had to deal a 4th to the Bills for Evans and take a cap hit this season for
    it to boot.
    Plus he destroyed the Ravens if you recall last year.
    He destroyed a rookie corner. No one played well that game. Cary Williams got lit up, the DL got beaten up...that was just a terrible game all around.

I'm not disputing that the Ravens don't need a big guy at the WR position, but I was just never a big fan of Malcom Floyd and he really was just posturing to get more $$$ from the Chargers. I've always thought that he was pretty overrated.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Except, they signed Ricky Williams and his $1.05M cap number a couple of days later and traded for Lee Evans and his $3.375M salary a week or so after that.

Floyd's base deal was 2 years, $5M and his 2011 Cap number appears to have been $2.5M.

Again, they could have signed Floyd if they wanted to.
    I don't think Floyd ever had any intentions of signing with Baltimore except to use their offer as leverage for AJ Smith to up the ante a little so he would stay in San Diego.

Good freind Blake who runs scouting for the Titans told me before the season began Ravens would be easily best team in AFC. The ONLY weakness he saw lack of size, experience and overall proven speed at the WR position, which Flacco needed. He told me then that not landing FLoyd was a huge loss. He was right and left the Ravens just not good enough. Expect the Ravens to go after a big WR either in the draft early or FA. Since the Ravens dont use crossing patterns and basically expect the WR to beat the man 1-1, Floyd was perfect. Basically Flacco needs an athletic tall WR to throw jump balls to in single coverage.
    Malcom Floyd is not a #1 receiver. Not sure why you think he would have been the difference in getting a title this past year. Oh wait you're friend said so, so it must be true? Let's see how Malcom performs when his security blanket (VJax) bolts in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't think Floyd ever had any intentions of signing with Baltimore except to use their offer as leverage for AJ Smith to up the ante a little so he would stay in San Diego.
    Bingo!! Yes the ravens did make an effort and backed out when they realize they were just being used.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Malcom Floyd is not a #1 receiver. Not sure why you think he would have been the difference in getting a title this past year. Oh wait you're friend said so, so it must be true? Let's see how Malcom performs when his security blanket (VJax) bolts in free agency.
    This whole #1 receiver thing is overblown. Most teams don't have a true #1. There aren't many of them in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    This whole #1 receiver thing is overblown. Most teams don't have a true #1. There aren't many of them in the league
    The #1 receiver label is relative and yes you're correct. There is no true definition however I would say it could be the #1 go to guy in the passing game who the team believes to be their best playmaker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    thats true, but there are enough that they can be had too. Floyd isnt a true number one but in combination with what we have he offers what collectively would be equal to one. thats how you can get around it, but for some reason we arent taking those steps to do it that way and our WR corps is suffering for it.

The #1 receiver label is relative and yes you're correct. There is no true definition however I would say it could be the #1 go to guy in the passing game who the team believes to be their best playmaker.
    By that definition every team has one as every play has a "first read", and we already have one in Torrey as a WR and Ray Rice as a player.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Which currently would be Ray Rice. :celery

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Which currently would be Ray Rice. :celery
    Point taken. An upgrade might not be that difficult under the circumstances ;)