Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown

Re: Jason Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Looks like your source goofed the math. It should be $7.2M - $4.4M (signing) = $2.8M saved. Bottomline is they have to pay the $2.2M share of signing bonus this year regardless. If they cut Brown they accelerate the $2.2M signing bonus from next year but also ditch the $5M of base ($5M saved less the extra $2.2M acceleration = $2.8M net saved)
    :word
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries
    Thanks for clarifying the cap info. I'm still not sure if he is a fit for the Ravens this year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I can't fault Brown for wanting to make as much money as possible but the way he departed told me something about his character that I didn't like. He left for a bottom dweller when playoff teams were pursuing him. The Rams wrote the biggest check so he went there. That shows me that winning wasn't priority for him.

I don't know that the Eagles would have matched the Rams but the deals couldn't have been far off because there was a rumor of a bidding war going on.

Blog Entries

We will be fine with Gurode, he looked good whenever he took snaps at C this year. Jason Brown had a poor season, and there is obviously a reason why the Rams are cutting him to save only 600 k.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Okay. Good points. However now with Josh McDaniels gone why is there talk of Jason Brown still being released? Has his play declined that much that the Rams won't give Brown a second chance?
    He's due $5 million this year and if he plays well he has voidable years on his contract. I think the issue is money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We will be fine with Gurode, he looked good whenever he took snaps at C this year. Jason Brown had a poor season, and there is obviously a reason why the Rams are cutting him to save only 600 k.
    What the 3 snaps he took?

I dont know where folks are getting this. I can remember about 5 snaps he took at center this year. That is a far cry from being a decent enough sample size to see if he can hack it at center still. If he was such a great center then why did Dallas opt for Phil Costa over him, which resulted in Gurode being cut? Costa wasn't that great this past season.

Again, I'm not bashing Gurode or anything of that nature. I'm simply stating that we don't know how he would do at center because he didn't really play center this past season. What he did do was play guard at a below average level. There were plays where he looked like Oniel Cousins out there. Seriously.

I'm all for Gurode coming back and competing with someone for vet minimum or something, but bringing him back here and handing him the starting gig and calling it "fine" is the wrong way to go about things when there are better options.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I dont know where folks are getting this. I can remember about 5 snaps he took at center this year. That is a far cry from being a decent enough sample size to see if he can hack it at center still. If he was such a great center then why did Dallas opt for Phil Costa over him, which resulted in Gurode being cut? Costa wasn't that great this past season.

Again, I'm not bashing Gurode or anything of that nature. I'm simply stating that we don't know how he would do at center because he didn't really play center this past season. What he did do was play guard at a below average level. There were plays where he looked like Oniel Cousins out there. Seriously.

I'm all for Gurode coming back and competing with someone for vet minimum or something, but bringing him back here and handing him the starting gig and calling it "fine" is the wrong way to go about things when there are better options.
    Im with you on this, I think Gurode should be a more of a last resort before signing a low level backup type. im only giving him the nod over those unprovens because hes got a year in our system. Theres better talent out there than gurode and brown might be one of those guys. I think having a competition with either of those two is a must.
    -JAB

If Brown doesn't get any big $$$ offers (which I'm guessing he won't), he may look for a shorter contract that will allow him to prove himself. Then he could hit the market again, but with higher perceived value than he has now. This gives him 1 more pay day before his career is over.

If this is the case Baltimore has to be an appealing situation for him, even if he's still motivated by money. He gets on a team where he's had success before. Plus that team is a playoff contender.

The Ravens get a player at a reasonable price who will be motivated to perform.

IMO, if the Rams use a June 1 release he may not be as useful to the Ravens. Ozzie may look to find a workable solution to the center issue before the draft. This would lessen one of our needs heading into the draft. Plus we might draft a center in the early rounds. If either happened, our chances of pursuing Brown are bound to decrease.

Blog Entries

I believe that teams can actually release guys before June 1st, but under the "June 1st release" title.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Dallas did not want to lose Gurode, they tried to get him to rework his deal but he wasn't interested. It was purely a money issue last year when they cut several players. He had just come off of his 5th pro bowl at center; I think he should be able to step in and be a solid replacement IF Birk isn't the center next season.
    On that topic - I really wish Birk would make a decision asap.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I can't fault Brown for wanting to make as much money as possible but the way he departed told me something about his character that I didn't like. He left for a bottom dweller when playoff teams were pursuing him. The Rams wrote the biggest check so he went there. That shows me that winning wasn't priority for him.

I don't know that the Eagles would have matched the Rams but the deals couldn't have been far off because there was a rumor of a bidding war going on.
    There is something to be said for going to a bottom dweller and and having a chance to be instrumental in their return to respectability. Movies are made about this. It's basically THE sports movie cliche. Realistic - not as often as Hollywood would have you believe of course. I also won't give anyone shit for taking a 33% larger salary. Especially when that 33% is 2 million dollars. That's private school, a car and a college educations for your kids. Hell, I'd sell the pictures of Ozzie's draft board that my cousin's sister's uncle's brother, the copy machine toner cartridge repairman, takes every day, to the stealers for $2 million. That's a lot of money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Dallas did not want to lose Gurode, they tried to get him to rework his deal but he wasn't interested. It was purely a money issue last year when they cut several players. He had just come off of his 5th pro bowl at center; I think he should be able to step in and be a solid replacement IF Birk isn't the center next season.
    On that topic - I really wish Birk would make a decision asap.
    I hear you, but with or without Birk they need to start looking for that next guy. Birk simply doesn't have it anymore lining up against the better guys.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"