Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown

1. Re: Jason Brown

I would welcome Brown back as long as he can still play at a high level. Hopefully it was just being in STL. I like the idea of bolstering the OL.

Blog Entries

Re: Jason Brown

If Brown could have done it over again, I would be surprised if he wouldn't.

Ozzie would have paid about six million per year to be the C here. However, since he played some G when he first entered the league, he knew that he could get that value. St. Louis offered him that guard money (8) to play C. He could have had six and stayed. He called Ozzie to get Ozzie to match the 8 and Ozzie said no. Now, we don't know the context of that 'no'. It might have been a 'We wish you well and don't blame you' type of 'No'. Then again, it could have been a 'This fool must have lost his mind' type of 'no'.

Personally, my strategy would be to draft the C. Keep Grubbs and pay him long-term. That takes care of your guards for the next four years or so. Draft the C and groom him behind Gurode, who will be the less expensive option. What Gurode showed here was that if he was asked to play G, he would not do very well. Gurode is really a C and hadn't played G in a very long time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ha, there is definitely that mentality about him. He left and didn't have to.

I just don't think Gurode is all that great anymore. He'll be 33 in a month, he's not very athletic and it really showed when he lined up at guard in place of Grubbs.

I'd be cool with Gurode coming back as a back up who will be given the opportunity to compete with someone else for the starting gig, but I still don't really understand how so many folks think he's the best option. What did he do this past season to make anyone think he could start here? It also would be delaying the inevitable with finding a long term solution at center. Why pay for a 33 year old guy who may only give 1 or 2 decent years when they could sign someone younger (doesn't have to be Jason Brown necessarily) and then address the LG spot with the draft? Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele, Kevin Zeitler, Brandon Washington....more than likely any of those guys will be available to Baltimore and at least 2 of them could start right away at LG.
    Yeah, I agree that Gurode isn't the answer at C and and they should definitely address the position during the draft or FA. But yeah I dont even want him looking over at the guard position stay far away from that spot.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    Rumors are that the Rams are going to cut Jason Brown and go with Tony Wragge at center. Do you think the Ravens would bring him back at a reasonable price?
    Is there something recent about these rumors or is this just be speculation from a couple of months ago?

Regardless, while I like Jason Brown a lot, I do have some concerns about what appears to be a drop in level of play:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/11...-brown-benched

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...s-and-centers/

That said, if the FO feels that whatever happened can be corrected, I'd he happy to have him back on a short term, prove it contract - in tandem with drafting the future C early in the draft (who could play G for a year if needed).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    First, this reportedly isn't true...what I've seen indicates that Brown saves $2.8MM if cut.

Second, I love how people are really quick to spend other peoples' money. Brown will make $5MM next year. If he's not the starter, it's stupid for a team to pay an interior lineman $5MM.

- C -
    Yeah....in a related comment didn't the Ravens pay Gurode around $5.5M last year?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    Rumors are that the Rams are going to cut Jason Brown and go with Tony Wragge at center. Do you think the Ravens would bring him back at a reasonable price?
    In a word YES. He will only be 29 in May, and if the Rams satisfied his $ needs, then the Ravens can sign him to an acceptable contract. He got his $ so maybe now he wants a shot at a championship. He wasn't going to get it in St. Louis.
    For those who think there might be something wrong with Brown, teams release players for multiple reasons all the time. Case in point is Bernard Pollard. Houston let him go after two 100+ tackle seasons, he came to Baltimore and played rather well.
    Personally, I'd welcome both Brown and LeRon McClain back... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 02-21-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

What happened to Brown in the span of three years that has turned him into such a disappointment for St. Louis? I don't remember hearing of any major injuries, guess Ozzie knew what he was doing when he refused to pay Brown the mega-bucks he was asking for in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by RavNMadMan View Post
    Yeah....in a related comment didn't the Ravens pay Gurode around $5.5M last year?
    No, they didn't. He made $1.5M.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    No, they didn't. He made $1.5M.
    Thanks...that number seemed ridiculously high to me.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    First, this reportedly isn't true...what I've seen indicates that Brown saves $2.8MM if cut.
    Yes, if released before June 1, they would save $2.8M. They could also release him after June 1 (or use one of their 2 June 1 exemptions), in which case they would save $5M (with $2.2M in dead money in both 2012 and 2013).

It appears that the Rams are going to be pretty tight against the Cap, so the June 1 release (or use of exemption) may well be the approach they take.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Yes, if released before June 1, they would save $2.8M. They could also release him after June 1 (or use one of their 2 June 1 exemptions), in which case they would save $5M (with $2.2M in dead money in both 2012 and 2013).

It appears that the Rams are going to be pretty tight against the Cap, so the June 1 release (or use of exemption) may well be the approach they take.
    Are your numbers accurate because if so, then this must be way off:

Center/guard Jason Brown: He has two years remaining on his contract with base salaries of $5 million and $6.2 million. This year, his cap figure is $7.2 million. If Brown were released prior to June 1, the Rams would save $5 million, but $4.4 million in signing bonus proration would accelerate against the cap for a net savings of $600,000.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Are your numbers accurate because if so, then this must be way off:
    Looks like your source goofed the math. It should be $7.2M - $4.4M (signing) = $2.8M saved. Bottomline is they have to pay the $2.2M share of signing bonus this year regardless. If they cut Brown they accelerate the $2.2M signing bonus from next year but also ditch the $5M of base ($5M saved less the extra $2.2M acceleration = $2.8M net saved)