Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: O's Are (Quietly) For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    All great points.

The suggestion that it was Bisciotti was my interpretation of the news. Everyone should listen and draw their own conclusions.

That said, these guys have been more right than wrong when they drop nuggets like this. It may not be Bisciotti, but given their track record, I'd put money on that someone is indeed negotiating with Angelos about buying the team and that MASN is the sticking point.
    Without MASN my guess is that the franchise's value is at its lowest point in decades. I wonder if the estate taxes change if Angelos simply passes on his stake in MASN as opposed to that of the team. Just at WAG (wild assed guess)...

HR, I know you dig the Junkies and I trust your judgment there.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Dude, I would pee my pants if that happened.

Good for Bisciotti. I hope he succeeds in purchasing the Orioles. He might not know a whole lot about baseball, but he knows how to manage a successful franchise and he wouldn't be afraid to go out and get guys to make the team better.
    Top tier players don't want to play for the orioles. When you have the top first baseman choose the Yankees over his hometown team then something is wrong
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    Top tier players don't want to play for the orioles. When you have the top first baseman choose the Yankees over his hometown team then something is wrong
    To be fair, there is a legit reason as to why those players do not want to play in Baltimore.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    A lot of that has to do with the $$$.

No way Baltimore pays Texiara what the Yankees would.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not calling BS on this, but things that are too good to be true usually are. I would love for it to happen but I am curious to know what would prompt Angelos to sell now and how something like this could go on "quietly".
    Some posts have suggested that selling the team could save estate taxes. Estate taxes are calculated on the fair market value of all assets owned on your date of death. So if you own an $X million sports franchise or $X million in cash, your estate tax doesn't change. But if your estate won't have enough cash to pay the state taxes, you may want to sell assets before your death rather than leaving it to your heirs to deal with selling assets, especially something complicated like selling a sports franchise. Also, there has been talk about eliminating the lower capital gains tax rates, so there could be an advantage in selling a significantly appreciated asset like a sports franchise that's been held for a long time before the capital gains tax rates increase. So there are some potential reasons for PA to consider selling the Orioles now.

I hope the Junks are right...I also wish I could listen to them on the radio still, they're a much better morning show than anything we get here.

PLEASE PLEASE let this be true!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    A lot of that has to do with the $$$.

No way Baltimore pays Texiara what the Yankees would.
    That may be, but it's because they won't spend, not because they don't have money.

I don't see this happening. The Orioles are a gold mine for Angelos, a license to print @#$!ing money, and even if there was some credibility to this story, taking it at face value Angelos is apparently saying he won't sell the part of the goose that's laying the golden eggs.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTime37 View Post
    I hope the Junks are right...I also wish I could listen to them on the radio still, they're a much better morning show than anything we get here.
    Agreed.

Thank God for Podcasts!

Blog Entries

this would instantly raise the attendance 10k per game easily

I seem to remember a rumor last winter sometime about Angelos in the process of selling the Orioles and that it would take around 2 years to complete the deal for whatever reason. I think it was Roy Firestone who reported it basing it on credible sources. It was a local group that included Ripken. If that was a true story we would be into the second year now so that story and this one might mean something.

Each year I have checked out more and more with baseball and the O's. I was probably more an orioles fan than either a Balt. Colts or even the Ravens (that is a tough one really its been so long). Last year I was just about 100% checked out. I might have watched 9 innings all year. I am done with the baseball until something changes with the ownership. The nice thing prior to last year for me was scalping an upperdeck ticket for about $10 and sitting in the lower deck. I'm done though at this point. Angelos could care less about putting a team out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    this would instantly raise the attendance 10k per game easily
    Sadly pushing the crowds to roughly 15,000/game (NYY, BOS & Opening Day) excluded.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi