Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: O's Are (Quietly) For Sale

sorry
    Last edited by ace2die; 02-14-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    I don't know, but according to Wiki, the Falcons owner almost bought the Braves, so it wouldn't appear so.

ClarkHunt, the KC owner, also has a club in the MLS.

Three NFL owners have EPL teams (Lerner - Browns/Aston Villa, Kroenke - Rams/Arsenal, Glazers - Bucs/Man Utd), but of course, EPl teams aren't American.
    You're right. They do have an out for foreign teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    If this happens I won't be able to contain myself. Until then, I'm trying hard (and mostly failing) to not get my hopes up.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by ace2die View Post
    I have to call BS. WHere is a link? THe PODCAST is not on the website.
    1067thefandc.com > Audio on Demand > The Sports Junkies > Segment 1

Or just download it from iTunes. It's there.

(http://law.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/sit...0&pageID=206):
    The NFL is the only major sports league that has traditionally had a form of restriction on cross-ownership. However, in 1997, the league loosened its previous complete ban in favor of a new structure. NFL owners are now allowed to own franchises in the other major leagues if the other franchise is in the same city as the NFL owner's team or in a city that does not have an NFL franchise. For example, H. Wayne Huizenga is allowed to maintain majority ownership in the NFL's Dolphins, MLB's Marlins and NHL's Panthers because all of these franchises are in the same city. On the contrary, MLB's San Diego Padres owner John Moores, a native of Houston, Texas, would not be allowed to own a franchise in Houston because his Padres team is viewed as being competition for the NFL's Chargers.

Blog Entries

I'm not even a baseball fan but I know what it's like to love a team with horrible ownership. I'm hoping this works for all the Orioles fans. It would be amazing to see one of the great franchises in baseball come back from the dead.

Blog Entries

Not calling BS on this, but things that are too good to be true usually are. I would love for it to happen but I am curious to know what would prompt Angelos to sell now and how something like this could go on "quietly".

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not calling BS on this, but things that are too good to be true usually are. I would love for it to happen but I am curious to know what would prompt Angelos to sell now and how something like this could go on "quietly".
    Well, regarding why Angelos would sell now, is it really so unbelievable? The man clearly is very disinterested in baseball and doesn't care about owning a winning team or a storied franchise. From the way the team has been run throughout his tenure, it's clear he views being an MLB owner as simply another way to make money.

The team will only go down in value from now on as they continue to be terrible and less fans go to the stadium. Angelos has the steady stream of funds from MASN and apparently part of the negotiation is that Angelos wants to keep that money. If he can and ditch a team he has no interest in, he'd probably do it.

When owning the Orioles isn't profitable to him anymore Angelos will get rid of the team. Maybe now is that time?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If you give it a listen, it's pretty much implied that it's Bisciotti wanting to buy the team.
    We've asked Steve about owning the Orioles a couple of times when he's been on the Ravens Rap with us. He has emphatically stated he has no interest and points to the economics of baseball and the inability to effectively compete given the uneven (financial) playing field as being too out of whack for his liking. Besides, given the way Angelos treated Bisciotti's Ravens staff during the MASN dealings, the ONLY way that this kind of conversation has any lift off is if MASN is on the table. Then that becomes a great venue for Bisciotti and the Ravens. I could also see Ripken being in the mix.

All that said, you have to wonder why potential estate taxes that inspired Art Modell to sell to Bisciotti wouldn't be a factor with Angelos and his sons. But I've never professed to being close to a tax accountant or an estate planner.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

*Fingers Crossed*

Blog Entries

Selling it to almost ANYONE who has a pulse would be a huge benefit! Please let this be true...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!