Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: O's Are (Quietly) For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    We've asked Steve about owning the Orioles a couple of times when he's been on the Ravens Rap with us. He has emphatically stated he has no interest and points to the economics of baseball and the inability to effectively compete given the uneven (financial) playing field as being too out of whack for his liking. Besides, given the way Angelos treated Bisciotti's Ravens staff during the MASN dealings, the ONLY way that this kind of conversation has any lift off is if MASN is on the table. Then that becomes a great venue for Bisciotti and the Ravens. I could also see Ripken being in the mix.

All that said, you have to wonder why potential estate taxes that inspired Art Modell to sell to Bisciotti wouldn't be a factor with Angelos and his sons. But I've never professed to being close to a tax accountant or an estate planner.
    Reading between the lines, MASN might be the whole point behind the effort to buy the Orioles.

Though I don't know how much value MASN would be to an NFL owner. The NFL controls the broadcast rights, IIRC, and not the individual franchises. It's the same with NFL properties (jerseys, etc.).

It might be too little, too late for some. I am one of those that has written off the Orioles because of the Angelos family. Instead, I am much more interested in the Nats. I vowed to come back once the team got sold to another person, but now I am not so sure.

Sometimes I wonder if the Orioles are simply an annual tax write off for Angelos to offset the millions he makes in his other endeavors. There couldn't be any other possible explanation as to why he makes no sincere effort to improve this organization.

RavenTerp Guest

The Orioles are hardly a "tax right-off" for Angelos! He makes millions on the Orioles and MASN each year!

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the Orioles are simply an annual tax write off for Angelos to offset the millions he makes in his other endeavors. There couldn't be any other possible explanation as to why he makes no sincere effort to improve this organization.
    DING DING DING.....

He has done this before. A certain place on York road in Timonium.

He makes money from MASN. The Horibles not so much.

Blog Entries

This came up when Angelos tried to buy a team - first the Rams and then the Bucs. It was said then one
    couldn't own two major league teams or was Tags just tryiing to shut out Petey and Bmore from getting
    a team?

The TV deal became a huge point after the Nationals moved into DC cutting the O's market in half.

Speaking of MASN, Tom Davis had a crew on last night talking about the new season and it doesn't look
    pretty. Absolutely no pitching - not even down on the farm and a lot of teams are bringing in 40 pitchers
    to comp and O's are bringing in only 30.

Nothing they do makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    This came up when Angelos tried to buy a team - first the Rams and then the Bucs. It was said then one
    couldn't own two major league teams or was Tags just tryiing to shut out Petey and Bmore from getting
    a team?

The TV deal became a huge point after the Nationals moved into DC cutting the O's market in half.

Speaking of MASN, Tom Davis had a crew on last night talking about the new season and it doesn't look
    pretty. Absolutely no pitching - not even down on the farm and a lot of teams are bringing in 40 pitchers
    to comp and O's are bringing in only 30.

Nothing they do makes sense.
    They have plenty of pitchers. They signed all kinds of pitchers this year. The problem is they all suck
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    They have plenty of pitchers. They signed all kinds of pitchers this year. The problem is they all suck
    This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode were their talking about the MEts

Fat Guy: They still have no pitching. Goodin's a question mahk. ...You don't recover from those rotator cuffs so fast.

Jerry: I'm not worried about their best pitching. They got pitching. ...They got no hitting.

FG: No hitting? They got hitting! Bonilla, Murry. ...They got no defence.

JS: Defence? Please. ...They need speed.

FG: Speed? They got Coleman. ...They need a bullpen.

JS: Franco's no good? ...They got no team leaders.

FG: They got Franco! ...What they need is a front office.

JS: But you gotta like their chances.

FG: I LUV their chances.

No disrespect to HR, but I've never been impressed by the Junkies. To be fair though, I haven't listened to them since they were on the radio. It's been several years. That said, color me extremely skeptical of this report. I think Angelos would certainly let someone make an offer, but as for seriously considering it, I'll believe it when I see it. I also don't see Steve B. buying the team for all the reasons already listed (potential ownership restrictions with the NFL and/or MLB, on the record as not-interested, etc). I think Cal would love to be involved with an ownership group that would try to purchase the team, and I believe he and Angelos have discussed that. But I don't see anything happening there anytime soon. I think we're in for more of the same from Angelos and the Orioles.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and the team is sold ASAP.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Just heard on the radio during the Bob and Rob show that the Orioles put out a statement denying all this.

#1 EB is a clueless assclown
    #2 There is NO WAY anybody ever buys the O's without MASN being included. MASN is a license to print money that increases the O's value from 300 mil to 7 or 800 mil. Without it you are buying a small market team that pales in revenue to Nats. With it you can afford a 150 mil payroll despite the brainwashing from Angelos and his media cronies.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Reading between the lines, MASN might be the whole point behind the effort to buy the Orioles.

Though I don't know how much value MASN would be to an NFL owner. The NFL controls the broadcast rights, IIRC, and not the individual franchises. It's the same with NFL properties (jerseys, etc.).
    The NFL only controls the regular and post-seatson TV deals. They do not handle preseason games or the local shows a team might have on, those are all done completely by each team and that revenue is not shared. Same with radio deals for the whole season (except the subscription service through Sirius).