Page 4 of 241 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Free Agent Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention Reggie Wayne? He's a bit old @ 33, but still caught 75 passes last year w/ scrubs QB's throwing it to him. He's in the same mold as Torrey Smith (6'-0" 180lbs). You could reasonably bring him in here on a 1 or 2 year deal and get some production out of him.

In RE: to receiver, the Ravens really need a big red zone target IMHO. Pitta and Dickson are nice, but we need a guy that when you get down to the 2 or 3 yard line you can throw a fade to and have him catch it.
    I agree that they need a better receiver, but I'm more concerned with the fact that they just don't have a guy who can use routes to get open. Pitta and Dickson can run the fade.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

2. Re: Free Agent Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree that they need a better receiver, but I'm more concerned with the fact that they just don't have a guy who can use routes to get open. Pitta and Dickson can run the fade.
    Well, they first need to fire the receivers coach & bring someone in here that can work w/ that unit. I think the passing offense looked more crisp when they had Derrick Mason. They absolutely need a sure handed guy that can run a 7 yard route on 3 & 7 and get open and move the chains.

I think (at least for 2012) that Reggie Wayne can be that guy. Beyond that, they're going to have to draft someone or show that Doss is ready for the show.

3. Re: Free Agent Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Eventually Torrey Smith is going to be that #1 guy but I don't think it's next year. I agree with you about Boldin. He's never been great at getting separation but in the past he could out fight defenders and catch anything near him. Not quite so easy to do that anymore. This is the 3rd year of his 4 year deal. Not sure he makes it to 2013.
    I'm not ever seeing Torrey Smith as the #1 guy. He is way to small to go over the middle and make crucial 3rd down catches. He best asset is his speed. Use him like the Eagles used Desean Jackson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    I'm not ever seeing Torrey Smith as the #1 guy. He is way to small to go over the middle and make crucial 3rd down catches. He best asset is his speed. Use him like the Eagles used Desean Jackson.
    Torrey Smith is a little bigger than Torry Holt and they have similar body types. Holt wasn't too small to be a #1 and I don't think Smith is either. Steve Smith is a lot smaller than both and look what he's done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    People keep penciling Torrey as a #1 guy...I think that is incredibly premature.
    That's because his numbers as a rookie WR were very impressive. Obviously he has a long way to go but I think by year 3 he'll be the Ravens #1.

That's because his numbers as a rookie WR were very impressive. Obviously he has a long way to go but I think by year 3 he'll be the Ravens #1.
    League history is filled with rookies that had impressive first years, only to not totally develop.

Blog Entries

Are we calling him the #1 because hes our best option or because hes possesses a skill set to be unarguable in certain situations? I mean technically Boldin is our #1 now, but hes far from being one of the best WRs and a guy that demands the ball/coverage. Torrey is a very good WR for a rookie, and has room to grow, but i dont think hell ever be somebody thats mentioned in the same breath as Calvin or Andre Johnson or lesser extents, Hakeem Nicks, Sidney Rices of the world. He just doesnt have the part of the game in him. He can be a highly productive WR and lead the team in stats, but i dont think hes the type that will be a true #1. I think him and Lee Evans are closer than people want to admit. Lee had a great 2-3 year span (with a horrible QB), and then dwindled off when his speed slowed. still was productive and was the bills "#1" but hardly a true #1.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Are we calling him the #1 because hes our best option or because hes possesses a skill set to be unarguable in certain situations? I mean technically Boldin is our #1 now, but hes far from being one of the best WRs and a guy that demands the ball/coverage. Torrey is a very good WR for a rookie, and has room to grow, but i dont think hell ever be somebody thats mentioned in the same breath as Calvin or Andre Johnson or lesser extents, Hakeem Nicks, Sidney Rices of the world. He just doesnt have the part of the game in him. He can be a highly productive WR and lead the team in stats, but i dont think hes the type that will be a true #1. I think him and Lee Evans are closer than people want to admit. Lee had a great 2-3 year span (with a horrible QB), and then dwindled off when his speed slowed. still was productive and was the bills "#1" but hardly a true #1.
    Lee Evans was a #1 for several years. #1 receiver is the guy who draws the coverage. He's the one that defenses have to create a game plan to stop. It's not just superstars like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. From what I have seen from Torrey Smith I think he's going to do that a year from now. Don't know if he'll ever be good enough to make Pro Bowl but that doesn't mean he can't be a #1 receiver.

#1 receiver is the guy who draws the coverage. He's the one that defenses have to create a game plan to stop. It's not just superstars like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. From what I have seen from Torrey Smith I think he's going to do that a year from now. Don't know if he'll ever be good enough to make Pro Bowl but that doesn't mean he can't be a #1 receiver.
    Certainly he's not in the class of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc., but he is the guy that draws alot of the coverage right now.
    Teams don't necessarily have to develop a game plan for him, but he certainly has drawn enough respect now due to his speed and ability to make some plays that teams aren't particularly comfortable leaving him one on one unless you have a top CB.

Hopefully after this off season and time to jell with Joe, OTAs, etc. that discomfort level will escalate to a higher level.

Either way, I think Evans is gone so somebody will need to be brought in here.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

Lee Evans was a #1 for several years. #1 receiver is the guy who draws the coverage. He's the one that defenses have to create a game plan to stop. It's not just superstars like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. From what I have seen from Torrey Smith I think he's going to do that a year from now. Don't know if he'll ever be good enough to make Pro Bowl but that doesn't mean he can't be a #1 receiver.
    In the context youre speaking of i agree, and in honesty with things the way they are he probably will be that #1 next year. Fitz and the johnsons are Elite WRs, he doesnt have to be elite to be a true #1, but he can be a #1 wr without being a true #1, if that makes any sense. It all depends on how you define a #1. Every team has a #1 WR, not every team has a TRUE #1. frankly theres some teams you dont have to game plan much at all to stop their #1.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    In the context youre speaking of i agree, and in honesty with things the way they are he probably will be that #1 next year. Fitz and the johnsons are Elite WRs, he doesnt have to be elite to be a true #1, but he can be a #1 wr without being a true #1, if that makes any sense. It all depends on how you define a #1. Every team has a #1 WR, not every team has a TRUE #1. frankly theres some teams you dont have to game plan much at all to stop their #1.
    True. There is are also teams that don't need #1 receivers. The Patriots and Packers are great examples of that.

What I'm curious to see is what happens in Atlanta next year. Both White and Jones could be #1 receivers. Who ends up taking that job?

Blog Entries

True. There is are also teams that don't need #1 receivers. The Patriots and Packers are great examples of that.

What I'm curious to see is what happens in Atlanta next year. Both White and Jones could be #1 receivers. Who ends up taking that job?
    I think its going to be hard to keep both of those guys around. Jones makes a good 2nd option until Whites contract is up. I feel he was drafted as an eventual replacement more so than a compliment.
    -JAB