Page 22 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Free Agent Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Agree. Like Casey Hampton, Cody's job is not to make a ton of plays, just own his space and hold the line or move it back vs whoever. Most teams use a 2 gap DT in both 3-4 and 4-3base. Pat Williams played both nose and 4-3 DT. You know when those guys are good, when teams have trouble blocking everyone else.
    Also if the Ravens sign Mario WIlliams, Cody will see a lot more single blocking.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Also if the Ravens sign Mario WIlliams, Cody will see a lot more single blocking.
    Please, please... PLEASE. Don't let this Mario Williams turn into your new Nnamdi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I wouldn't bring Haynesworth in if he paid the Ravens. He's a complete turd and he has no interest in playing in the NFL.
    :word x Infinity

Blog Entries

The OL tag is the same for every spot, so every tagged guy is basically paid the same as a top 5 LT. So I doubt Grubbs get tagged.

I am a Grubbs fan and thought his impact was obvious when he was not there. Sure we could find a much better backup than we had this year when Grubbs was out, but even an average starting G is going to cost something. I would like to see Grubbs back with a Yanda type deal, but we are going to want a good LG one way or another. The O was very bad in the games Grubbs was out iirc.

IMO, the Ravens are rely too heavily on the run to not have an above average OL. Flacco also tends to hold the ball longer than average on dropbacks. At the end of the year with the OL beat up, the O was not nearly as effective as it could have been had those guys been healthy. The Texans and Pats are not that good up front on D, the Raven OL was just that bad in those games. I still think Birk is the only guy who should be looked to be replaced, just try to build better depth and hope to be healthier up front next time. Nagta on D was not dominating the trenches the way he had proven to be capable of. Football may have changed a lot, but I still believe it is won and lost up front. It was not a missed FG or dropped catch that kept the Ravens out of the SB, IMO it was not blocking Wilfork, not opening the run and not dominating up front on D in both games that kept what looked like the best team last year at times from going all the way.

The thing though that makes any evaluation tough is we have no real idea what the injury factor was.
    Actually it doesn't matter HOW badly we played in the trenches, the game was still in the balance by that dropped catch. Fact is if Lee Evans held on to that ball, it is a TD, no matter what happened in the match, and we're in the superbowl.

As for Cody, people need to learn more about the nose tackle position before criticising a second year player. He notched up more tackles than most NT's in the league, and besides a NT is never going to appear on the stat sheet, it's not his job. If you wanna blame anyone for losing in the trenches, blame Ngata who vanished towards the end of the season.

Anyway, I think people are being a little harsh on our defense this year, fact is we finished top 5 in all defensive categories, our defense hasn't been anywhere near as good since 2006.

Blog Entries

Not to derail the thread, but I don't see us getting alot of push up the middle. And the sack totals weren't more of a more aggressive defensive mindset compared to grandpa? Just saying

He was ranked 73rd in tackles just a couple spots above Casey Hampton, since he was mentioned also.

He just isn't the dominant guy people were thinking, especially of a second rounder. Not saying he's bad at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Please, please... PLEASE. Don't let this Mario Williams turn into your new Nnamdi
    I think it is too late for that plea. lol
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    He just isn't the dominant guy people were thinking, especially of a second rounder. Not saying he's bad at all.
    Teams ran for a full 1/2 yard less per play when Cody was on the field vs him being off it. (3.5 ypc with Cody in, 4.0 with him out)

He consistently drew the double team which in turn, singled up guys like Kruger and McPhee who took advantage by putting up much better sack numbers than expected.

He wasn't dominate in a Haloti Ngata first half of the season sense of the word, but the claim was that he disappointed. I'd say that for what he's been asked to do, he's excelled. He's never going to rack up stats. His contributions will be measured by the stats of the guys around him.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Sorry. It is way too late for that. Nnamdi was only an issue for me because I thought the CBs were a lot more suspect than they turned out to be even with Foxworth and Carr out of the mix, and mostly because the Ravens did not seem to pursue Peppers the year before.

There is almost every year that player out there in free agency that is a perrenial all pro type, pretty much every team would love to sign them but ultimately only one will.

I have been a fan of Mario Williams since he and Gaither were battling MD vs NC State.

I know the salary cap guys are going to say we can't afford it, but I feel like we can not afford to pass on the opportunity to sign a legit #1 pick in the draft type of talent, and the only prospect since Peppers that is comparable physically. Some people will point to his stats or the team's defense without Williams in the lineup and lose track of the value of a player like that. Guys that big that can move like that are not just walking around waiting to be drafted or discovered. Most guys that are that strong and 6'7" are playing LT or power forward. Not many have the agility to play OLB and the size to play DT.

What are the Raven's odds at signing him? At this point I can not see anyone setting them at lower than 1/32, and if Williams decides he wants to play with future HOF players and for the only team in the playoffs the last 4 yearsin a row, then the chances are a lot better than that.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Teams ran for a full 1/2 yard less per play when Cody was on the field vs him being off it. (3.5 ypc with Cody in, 4.0 with him out)

He consistently drew the double team which in turn, singled up guys like Kruger and McPhee who took advantage by putting up much better sack numbers than expected.

He wasn't dominate in a Haloti Ngata first half of the season sense of the word, but the claim was that he disappointed. I'd say that for what he's been asked to do, he's excelled. He's never going to rack up stats. His contributions will be measured by the stats of the guys around him.
    Another key is that he is a guy that works hard, does his job well, and doesn't complain. Ultimate team player.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I wouldn't bring Haynesworth in if he paid the Ravens. He's a complete turd and he has no interest in playing in the NFL.
    What he said X 1000000000000000000000
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Adam Schefter just mentioned an interesting scenario. What if the Ravens sign Mike Wallace to a contract. He's definitely worth a first round pick. Worst case scenario: Pittsburgh matches the offer and they're cap situation is screwed even farther. Best case scenario: We get Wallace for our first round pick. He's young and the best deep threat in the game. Flacco would have Torrey and Wallace on either side and Boldin in the slot. It's probably unlikely, but what further piss off Pittsurgh, which I'm all for. We could sign Wallace even if we had no intention of actually having him on our team. Pittsburgh would certainly match the offer. If Ozzie wanted to mess with Pittsburgh it's worth a shot.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

12. Re: Free Agent Tracker

Very, very interesting... I still think Oz values those picks though, but you never do know. If that were to happen, I'm not sure Boldin is here next year.