Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raven making opponents one-dimensional...

In three games, the Ravens have allowed about 105 yards rushing. IN THREE GAMES. Wow.

The Browns basically abandoned the run in the first quarter, and yet in the second quarter were able to dominate through the air. Now I'm not that concerned with the deep ball to Edwards. That was a beautiful, perfect pass, and stuff happens. But the Ravens seem to be allowing a lot of first downs in the intermediate zone.

Question is, why? Why when you have essentially made a team one-dimensional one quarter through the game, can you allow an offense - a weak offense at that - slice and dice you like this? What weaknesses exist that allowed Winslow to be so wide open? Perhaps the Ravens are concentrating too much on the pass rush.

Thoughts?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Re: Raven making opponents one-dimensional...

I think if we can shut LT down Sunday, and make Rivers beat us, we have a shot at shutting down thier Offense and maybe forcing a few turnovers. Tomlinson is the heart and soul of the Chargers Offense, take him out of the game and they are in trouble.

I think we have a good shot at beating them Sunday, but we will need to see alot more from our Offense.

But the Ravens seem to be allowing a lot of first downs in the intermediate zone.

Question is, why?
    Damn good question.

We stop the run better than anyone.

We rush the passer better than anyone.

Yet teams throw all over us?

We have the talent with Reed, CMac and Rolle. Even our linebackers are good. I personally blame the coaching. We need to zone the middle more. Don't rely on man coverage all the time.

We will shut LT down its their backup we will have a problem with

Michael Turner

The Browns offense had a good first half and did nothing after that.Samari was not 100% and it showed a few times.

Its 103 yds to be exact,and the even better number is 1.8 yd/per!!!! Simply unreal with the next closest team at 2.9 which is The Jets,I didnt realize how dominant we have been against the run untill I saw that.

The Ravens have been weak against quick slants, hitches, and TE routes for a few years now. There has to be something schematically being done to hurt the play here.

I just checked the 2000 Ravens YPC,and it was 2.69 so its looks like we are on track for a pretty good run D Id say.

I put this on our lack of solid depth in the secondary. Ronnie Prude did not look good out there. Yeah, he's a rookie and might turn into something, and hopefully he will, but he wasn't holding up his end of the bargain. And other teams are doing something to stay away from Ed Reed. He's been a non-factor all year. Rolle doesn't seem as solid as he did last year, though for a #2 CB I'll take him and his current level of play.

Now, the Browns have two solid young receivers who were creating those plays, so I don't think it's a terrible travesty to see them play well against us. But to be a complete defense we'll have to cut down on this against the better teams out there.

With our frequent blitzing it is a higher risk defense -- NOT the philosophy of the 2000 team.

Think we are more prone to give up the bigger / intermediate plays but also get more sacks and potentially more turnovers.

Would not be surprised to therefore see us have higher turnover numbers, but higher yardage in the passing game.

I'm not complaining -- the difference in our d-line this year is phenomenal. Wait till Haloti matures over the year!!

Blog Entries

Our D has always been scary against the run. The problem is our opponents are finding some holes in our passcoverage, which features 3 former Pro Bowlers!

That said, they play a good "bend, don't break".
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Merlin hit it on the head,with us blitzing alot in Rex's system,the Ravens corners are often put in man coverage,or "on an island" as some would refer to it.
    It seems like this year our Lb's are blitzing way more than they have in recent memory,and this is going to leave you short in coverage on some occasions.That,like Merlin said is going to leave you prone to some big plays like the two we had vs Cleveland but is also going to get you picks and sacks.

The Ravens coaches run this scheme because they know how good Reed Cmac and Rolle are and that most of the time they will get the job done and can handle that responsibility.More times than not the rush will wlll either get pressure on the QB or a sack,and that helps them as well in coverage.I am really curious to see if any offense can move the ball the lenghth of the field on us in a long sustained drive,not just 1 big play and a few others.
    Last edited by 52decleetzu; 09-26-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Living in the San Diego area, I've been able to see the respect Phillip Rivers (a young QB with unlimited upside) has for the Baltimore Ravens defense.

After taking in Baltimore's 15-14 come-from-behind victory, Rivers came away full of praise for the Ravens' vaunted defense and with a greater understanding of the task that looms ahead. "Those guys will never go away," Rivers said. "They've got veteran players in Ray Lewis and the safety Ed Reed, and you can recognize every name on their defense practically. They thrive on making big plays like that. They didn't panic when they got their backs against the wall late in the game, they just stepped up."