Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone Else Depressed Over this Week?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Didn't think I'd feel worse than last year but I do. I'm hoping to get into the Super Bowl on Sunday since it is the last meaningful NFL game we'll see until September but honestly I don't know. This is such a bummer
    I feel for ya bro.
    Didn't hit me that hard this year. I never thought we'd get that far and hell they almost made it to the SB!

It pissed me off that night, and when i woke up the next morning realizing the Ravens lost . There are some lingering pangs here & there but not that bad.

I thought we were going to lose that game and it surprised the hell out of me when we almost won it.
    The Ravens accomplished a lot this year: AFC Champs, 9-0 undefeated at home, swept the Div, crushed the Stillers, unbeaten during the Reg season vs teams with a winning record. The AFCCG was one of the best i've ever seen. Far as I'm concerned, great game & great season!

Believe me i know how you feel. But for me, even though i'm super into it and support my team to the fullest, football is still about having fun. And i have way too much fun with it to let a loss get me down - well not for too long anyways. ;)

The Baltimore Ravens have one of the best organizations in the NFL - and they still reside in my hometown. Sh-i-i-i-i-t, i'm good to go homie! :)
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 01-31-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Either Brady or Manning will be pasted all over TV commercials after the Super Bowl, depending on who wins. I am not listening to any sports and probably won't watch the Super Bowl. I can't stand either QB and all the hype they get. IMO Manning can't be considered elite because of his team's regular season record and how do we know, based on history, that NE won all its games without cheating.

I have been bummed since the loss, but would not call it a "major life experience" downer (although I still am excited about the Super Bowl win and the celebration downtown). Interesting how the "up" can hang on so long.

Some of the comments in this thread and throughout the board caused me to think about the negative impact. I can honestly say that the reason that it does have the negative fallout is because it is not just "football", but rather "Ravens football." I do have an attachment to the experience because it is a fantasy world, that provides entertainment and an active social experience for me every year. I remember that for the 12 years that we did not have a home team I watched football, but was not emotionally attached. The Ravens came and I bathed in the "home team" experience and the excitement of my tailgate group. It then grew through this board and to away games through ravenstrips.com, and it has a "life" that is more than just football. When losses like this happen, it darkens an otherwise pleasurable experience. The season is over and there is no substitution in sports. I am not a basketball person, and the Orioles have failed to give me that excitement. Family and friends are a different part of life (and I have suddenly recognized that some it exists).

So although I would not classify any of this as "depression", it is a pub that closed too soon. Everybody has gone home and the party is over. It will be back soon enough, and back after the malaise is gone. Right now, I am bummed.
    Captain Offense

I think I am officially off my suicide watch but the irony of this season and last season are that we bring in a supposed big name veteran WR to help us out and what happens. Boldin drops I believe a game tying TD in the endzone in Pitt and Evans, who missed half the year at least and was a non factor for the most part seems to be having a good game and he can't do what an 8 yr veteran is supposed to do, secure the ball and heck even fall to the ground if you have to. I wonder if that was thrown to Pitta with his hands if he would have snatched it quicker. He was a bright spot for our receivers and if some of the guys can't hold on to the ball when it was thrown well enough to catch they need to be replaced. I would like to see a lot more of Tandon Doss next year.

Quote Originally Posted by real fan dan View Post
    i feel for ya bro.
    Didn't hit me that hard this year. I never thought we'd get that far and hell they almost made it to the sb!

It pissed me off that night, and when i woke up the next morning realizing the ravens lost . There are some lingering pangs here & there but not that bad.

I thought we were going to lose that game and it surprised the hell out of me when we almost won it.
    The ravens accomplished a lot this year: Afc champs, 9-0 undefeated at home, swept the div, crushed the stillers, unbeaten during the reg season vs teams with a winning record. The afccg was one of the best i've ever seen. Far as i'm concerned, great game & great season!

Believe me i know how you feel. But for me, even though i'm super into it and support my team to the fullest, football is still about having fun. And i have way too much fun with it to let a loss get me down - well not for too long anyways. ;)

the baltimore ravens have one of the best organizations in the nfl - and they still reside in my hometown. Sh-i-i-i-i-t, i'm good to go homie! :)
    good post!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I agree. It certainly doesn't work for me. I made the mistake of watching the game at my in-laws home (lured there by the big screen TV and the tasty food). After the game, my mother-in-law made some stupid "it's just a game" type comment. That irritated me a ton at the time and I really haven't talked to her since.

Perhaps to someone (like her)who follows the team for 3 hours a week, 16 weeks a year, it would be viewed as just a game. For those of us who pour a considerable amount of time, money, effort, etc into the Ravens, it certainly extends beyond the realm of being "just a game".

I would never say "depressed" because I don't believe in the entire concept of depression in the least. I think terming it is a "long term kick in the gut" is more accurate from my perspective.

Interesting as depression is one of the more serious of mental illnesses and kills a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Interesting as depression is one of the more serious of mental illnesses and kills a lot of people.
    Oh no, I actually agree with DkBlue on something... I thought that line was incredibly insensitive and well just plain stupid.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I feel for ya bro.
    Didn't hit me that hard this year. I never thought we'd get that far and hell they almost made it to the SB!

It pissed me off that night, and when i woke up the next morning realizing the Ravens lost . There are some lingering pangs here & there but not that bad.

The Ravens accomplished a lot this year: AFC Champs, 9-0 undefeated at home, swept the Div, crushed the Stillers, unbeaten during the Reg season vs teams with a winning record. The AFCCG was one of the best i've ever seen. Far as I'm concerned, great game & great season!

The Baltimore Ravens have one of the best organizations in the NFL - and they still reside in my hometown. Sh-i-i-i-i-t, i'm good to go homie! :)
    Good post! After seeing who's in the SB, I think that the Ravens are better then these two and will only get better barring injuries. I enjoy watching a team who gives their all and knows how to play the game. This season was strange with who they beat and who they lost to. Except for the San Diego game, they were in it till the end. Be neat to see the tean jell better this coming season and watch the younger players show what they can do. The Cam issue will always be there, but going four years with a better then average win/loss record is sweet. Watching Flacco diss the media and back it up with the record of most wins, most playoff appearances for his first four years is awesome. Can't imagine not going to postseason with the Ravens, that would be a downer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    Oh no, I actually agree with DkBlue on something... I thought that line was incredibly insensitive and well just plain stupid.
    I think you guys are taking that comment to literal. Maybe it's just me but you might want to ask what he meant....

Utter hogwash. Depression is a complete and total fabrication, just like ADD, ADHD, and 99% of the other "mental illnesses" that the pyschiatric industry makes up to stay in business.

Blog Entries

Utter hogwash. Depression is a complete and total fabrication, just like ADD, ADHD, and 99% of the other "mental illnesses" that the pyschiatric industry makes up to stay in business.
    Not to derail the thread but this is complete bullshit and a completely insensitive comment, tell that to someone who has fought depression like myself, I fought depression throughout my teenage years and I can tell you from experience that it is very real and very serious. I was not fabricating the way I felt back then, just like everyone else who has, is, or will go through it, but thanks for suggesting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Not to derail the thread but this is complete bullshit and a completely insensitive comment, tell that to someone who has fought depression like myself, I fought depression throughout my teenage years and I can tell you from experience that it is very real and very serious. I was not fabricating the way I felt back then, just like everyone else who has, is, or will go through it, but thanks for suggesting that.
    Agree, I have dealt with depression since I was a teenager to this day. It's not a made up disease, it is a scientifically proven chemical imbalance.

I don't know why I am still being nice to you but I would agree that these things are over diagnosed but to pretend they don't exist or that people are just weak minded or something is complete jackassery.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!