Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone Else Depressed Over this Week?

Quote Originally Posted by pyite32 View Post
    Agree, I have dealt with depression since I was a teenager to this day. It's not a made up disease, it is a scientifically proven chemical imbalance.

I don't know why I am still being nice to you but I would agree that these things are over diagnosed but to pretend they don't exist or that people are just weak minded or something is complete jackassery.
    Since this thread is probably going to get booted anyhow, I don't feel I am derailing further now.

So I have a question. What chemical is imbalanced that creates depression?

Blog Entries

No, I am over it. Every once in a while that last series runs through my mind but I get past it.

We didn't deserve it this year. If we win those games vs. bottom dwellers like Seattle and Jacksonville, we are probably there. No way New England wins in Baltimore. Just means the Ravens need to work on giving a more even effort next year. We've proven that we can win the division and get a bye, now we need to focus on home field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Since this thread is probably going to get booted anyhow, I don't feel I am derailing further now.

So I have a question. What chemical is imbalanced that creates depression?
    serotonin
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

serotonin
    And this is scientifically proven...?

I don't think that's the case, could be wrong but I think it's a commonly accepted theory, not scientifically proven...

I don't think that's the case, could be wrong but I think it's a commonly accepted theory, not scientifically proven...
    Not entirely but it's not just a case of "being sad" and needing to buck up. I go through highs and lows for no apparent reason (in my outside life).

Researchers have noted differences in the brains of people who are depressed as compared to people who are not. For instance, the hippocampus, a small part of the brain that is vital to the storage of memories, appears to be smaller in people with a history of depression than in those who've never been depressed. A smaller hippocampus has fewer serotonin receptors. Serotonin is a calming brain chemical known as a neurotransmitter that allows communication between nerves in the brain and the body. It's also thought that the neurotransmitter norepinephrine may be involved in depression.

Scientists do not know why the hippocampus is smaller in those with depression. Some researchers have found that the stress hormone cortisol is produced in excess in depressed people. These investigators believe that cortisol has a toxic or poisonous effect on the hippocampus. Some experts theorize that depressed people are simply born with a smaller hippocampus and are therefore inclined to suffer from depression.

One thing is certain -- depression is a complex illness with many contributing factors. The latest scans and studies of brain chemistry that show the effects of antidepressants help broaden our understanding of the biochemical processes involved in depression. As scientists gain a better understanding of the cause(s) of depression, health professionals will be able to make better "tailored" diagnoses and, in turn, prescribe more effective treatment plans.

There are multiple forms of depression/bipolar disorder etc. Many of these can be treated by addressing chemical imbalances in the brain. These chemicals are neurotransmitters that are responsible for (in effect) applying emotion and feeling to experiences. Serotonin is one that controls feelings of happiness and well being; dopamine controls access to our reward centers, in other words, you do something and your brain releases dopamine as a reward for having done that.

Now, there is no baseline for what is a "chemical balance" so, in that sense, how can anyone be out of balance? This remains and issue with the chemical imbalance theory surrounding depression, but through treatment of these imbalances, patients mental health has improved.

So, at the end of the day there are a lot of unknowns surrounding depression. What is known, however, is that people die from it. Since there's this thing that kills people that we don't really understand, perhaps it would be better to respect those who suffer from it. It's not as though it is an easily solved predicament.

Blog Entries

Not entirely but it's not just a case of "being sad" and needing to buck up. I go through highs and lows for no apparent reason (in my outside life).
    Personally, I am not sure there is a medical condition of being depressed without a reason. If you're depressed there is a reason, whether you're aware of it or not is another story.

Here is a good article (albeit and old one) about the serotonin theory.
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/...l.pmed.0020392

8. Re: Anyone Else Depressed Over this Week?

I still cant watch NFL Network, they've lost one of their most loyal viewers for a few weeks...

But for the most part, i feel much better.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

During the NE game. The 1st QTR told me that we were once again at the mercy of CC square peg round hole play calling which meant that we would be in a dog fight in the end of the game. Well we know how most of those work out. Joe makes plays to spite the play call. Ray Rice makes all the insane cutbacks for yards to spite the playcall.

Lets look at that why does RAY have to make so many cutbacks???? THE PLAY CALL.

Anywho, I for some reason have not been really upset at all.. Because I knew deep down that with CC still aboard we would not reach the destination. Which does not bode well for next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I feel for ya bro.
    Didn't hit me that hard this year. I never thought we'd get that far and hell they almost made it to the SB!

It pissed me off that night, and when i woke up the next morning realizing the Ravens lost . There are some lingering pangs here & there but not that bad.

I thought we were going to lose that game and it surprised the hell out of me when we almost won it.
    The Ravens accomplished a lot this year: AFC Champs, 9-0 undefeated at home, swept the Div, crushed the Stillers, unbeaten during the Reg season vs teams with a winning record. The AFCCG was one of the best i've ever seen. Far as I'm concerned, great game & great season!

Believe me i know how you feel. But for me, even though i'm super into it and support my team to the fullest, football is still about having fun. And i have way too much fun with it to let a loss get me down - well not for too long anyways. ;)

The Baltimore Ravens have one of the best organizations in the NFL - and they still reside in my hometown. Sh-i-i-i-i-t, i'm good to go homie! :)
    As usual Dan you are the real voice of reason.

Thanks

Personally, I am not sure there is a medical condition of being depressed without a reason. If you're depressed there is a reason, whether you're aware of it or not is another story.

Here is a good article (albeit and old one) about the serotonin theory.
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/...l.pmed.0020392
    When I said no reason, I meant like being sad because someone died, or broke up, or the Ravens lost. I meant there was not outside factor that was different to cause the feeling.

Also since I know SSRIs have worked in the past for me the article doesn't mesh with my personal experiences. I don't currently take medication because I have gotten to the point in my life where I am able to recognize the lows for what they are and try my best to ride them out rather than deal with some of the side effects of prescription medication. However when I was younger and less experienced I didn't know better and needed the medication, as in my short world view if felt like those periods would never end.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Maybe it's because I am in the NY area and am surrounded by Giants fans. Maybe it's because of the way the Ravens choked last week. Maybe it's because my brother who is a life long Pats fan is now excited about the 7th time his team has been to a Super Bowl. Maybe it's all these things that together are completely bumming me out this week.

Didn't think I'd feel worse than last year but I do. I'm hoping to get into the Super Bowl on Sunday since it is the last meaningful NFL game we'll see until September but honestly I don't know. This is such a bummer
    I'm with ya brother, I live in the NY-NJ-PA Tri State area and am surrounded by Giant fans too. I still have my Raven flag defiantly flying in my front yard, but this sucks. I've been trying to hear a little news about the Caldwell hire on the NFL Network or ESPN and all I find is Super Bowl programming. The loss against the Patriots was rooted in mental errors that never should have happened and that bugs the hell out of me. In all reality, the game (The Super Bowl) doesn't excite me, we've seen this same drama unfold before. Brady will put up some points but in the end NY will prevail and all of the arrogant Giant fans will celebrate with their chests all puffed out and talking about a NY Giant dynasty. YAWN...