Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 120
  1. #49

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach



    Borrowed this stat from another forum but I thought this stat was very telling. This hiring gives us something to look forward too.

    Caldwell was the QB coach in Indy from 2002-2008. During Manning's first four years in the league, without Caldwell, his QB rating was an average of 85.2; the four years after Caldwell took over, his average rating jumped to 103.3.




  2. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In a van down by the rivah
    Posts
    760

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Jim "Blank Stare" Caldwell. OK. I suppose it's fine. It doesn't address the real offensive coaching issues we have (unless Caldwell is being positioned as a potential successor to Cam) but it probably can't hurt, might even do a little good.

    I can't say I'm ready to shout, "Championship!!" like the majority of posters in this thread. Caldwell seems to me to be a fairly routine hire.

    Here's the reason to curb the collective enthusiasm: Caldwell might help Joe a little but he won't be in a position to change much about the offense as a whole, if he's even talented enough to do that. He could be Jesus Christ with a coach's whistle but Cam Cameron still outranks him and we all know how much Cam listened to the last QB coach. Maybe this time it works out better, who knows, but unless Caldwell (or anyone!) takes over play-calling duties from Cameron I won't be ready to start the party like you guys are.




  3. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    372

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    I suppose I'm not in the "yesssss, what a great hire" camp. He will need to prove he can be successful at the NFL level without a QB named Manning. If Joe doesn't have Manning's skills, how exactly can Caldwell help him? Let's just say I'm going to bein the "cautiously optimistic" camp.




  4. #52

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    So the Ravens lose their successful defensive coordinator to the Colts and in return, the Ravens get Colts' failed head coach. Brilliant. The only possible conclusion is that the Ravens have decided to give up after almost getting into the Super Bowl. If they end up at the bottom, as they likely will, they will have no one to blame but themselves. This is profoundly stupid.
    What's the weather like up in Pittsburgh?




  5. #53

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    I suppose I'm not in the "yesssss, what a great hire" camp. He will need to prove he can be successful at the NFL level without a QB named Manning. If Joe doesn't have Manning's skills, how exactly can Caldwell help him? Let's just say I'm going to bein the "cautiously optimistic" camp.
    I don't think everyone is proclaiming instant success but simply a step in the right direction in regard's to Flacco's developement. Not many QB's have manning skills but Caldwell's hiring will help Joe better understand the intricacies of the game (i.e better pre-snap reads, selling the play action, filmstudy). Finding out first hand some of Peyton's best practices can only help Joe further his game.




  6. #54

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Jim "Blank Stare" Caldwell. OK. I suppose it's fine. It doesn't address the real offensive coaching issues we have (unless Caldwell is being positioned as a potential successor to Cam) but it probably can't hurt, might even do a little good.

    I can't say I'm ready to shout, "Championship!!" like the majority of posters in this thread. Caldwell seems to me to be a fairly routine hire.

    Here's the reason to curb the collective enthusiasm: Caldwell might help Joe a little but he won't be in a position to change much about the offense as a whole, if he's even talented enough to do that. He could be Jesus Christ with a coach's whistle but Cam Cameron still outranks him and we all know how much Cam listened to the last QB coach. Maybe this time it works out better, who knows, but unless Caldwell (or anyone!) takes over play-calling duties from Cameron I won't be ready to start the party like you guys are.
    This. At this juncture, nothing can cure Cam Cameron except for stripping him of play-calling and game-planning duties. The biggest problems with this offense are predictability, poor in-game adjustment, and badly designed passing schemes. All of those are on Mr. Cameron's door and no one else's.

    Flacco might improve in pre-snap reads, etc., but unless there's a synergistic improvement in the schemes on the field it won't matter. Cameron will continue to call the Cam Special 2 sideline iso routes, TE curl, and RB flat, opposing DCs will be licking their lips. It's just too easy to defend this passing attack and that's not a function of QB performance.




  7. #55

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Substance -wise, I'm not sure the difference between Caldwell and Zorn.

    But it was obvious this year that the decision to get rid of Zorn was a bad one. Cam was worried about the playcalling, not Flacco's mechanics/footwork. And this move, to me, signals that cam's "absolute power" over the offense (that was exhibited by the firing of Zorn) is gone.

    So I guess I like this move...I think.

    I guess if Caldwell can make Flacco more consistent, that would be a plus.




  8. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    590

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    From Florio's article at PFT





    I'm sure those threads will be in full force now.. sigh

    Honestly, imo.. Manning isn't an upgrade at this point. He's one sack from never walking again.. He'd never survived a season in the AFC North..
    I would definitely agree with this. Given Peyton's age and the nature of his surgeries, he is too much of a liability. Besides, I'm still confounded as to why there is even any talk of Manning coming here. Joe is a great QB and will only get better. We need to appreciate what we have in him and stop all the talk and speculation of Manning coming here. Sorry to have to dampen the hope of all the Flacco haters out there.




  9. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    590

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    So the Ravens lose their successful defensive coordinator to the Colts and in return, the Ravens get Colts' failed head coach. Brilliant. The only possible conclusion is that the Ravens have decided to give up after almost getting into the Super Bowl. If they end up at the bottom, as they likely will, they will have no one to blame but themselves. This is profoundly stupid.
    Not any more stupid than your first post on here.




  10. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Substance -wise, I'm not sure the difference between Caldwell and Zorn.

    But it was obvious this year that the decision to get rid of Zorn was a bad one. Cam was worried about the playcalling, not Flacco's mechanics/footwork.
    I'm not sure that getting rid of Zorn was the mistake. Not replacing him with another QB coach was probably more the mistake. Zorn and Cam - and their philosophies - just didn't mess.

    Hopefully, this time around, they thought that through a little better and Cam and Caldwell are a better fit.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  11. #59

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Next on the list (hopefully) fire Andy Moeller's ass and get a better OL coach.
    Perfect!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  12. #60

    Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Borrowed this stat from another forum but I thought this stat was very telling. This hiring gives us something to look forward too.

    Caldwell was the QB coach in Indy from 2002-2008. During Manning's first four years in the league, without Caldwell, his QB rating was an average of 85.2; the four years after Caldwell took over, his average rating jumped to 103.3.
    I can dig this!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland