Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/...57819249025024

After visiting the Steelers this weekend, former Colts HC Jim Caldwell plans to join Ravens offensive staff, likely as QB coach.

Schefter: Caldwell coming to Ravens as QB Coach

AdamSchefter
    After visiting the Steelers this weekend, former Colts HC Jim Caldwell plans to join Ravens offensive staff, likely as QB coach.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/...57819249025024
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

This could be huge. Imagine a Ravens offense where Joe has more freedom, where he can use audibles not to react to the defense, but rather to force the defense to react to him.

Here's hoping Jim is as smart as advertised and Cam is put on notice to accept his input.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369125,-76.761141
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

4. Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

:ww:

Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

punchline to the joke "who is in Cam's rear view mirror?"
    '

Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    punchline to the joke "who is in Cam's rear view mirror?"
    '
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRavensFan
    Great hire IMO. Coached Peyton for close to 10 years so he knows a thing or two about QBs
    I'm thinking Caldwell will be more politically adept than Zorn as an advocate for Joe. He was a high functioning HC, unlike Zorn who never really had a chance w/ the 'Skins circus.

I hope Caldwell learned a lesson this year when it come to Plan B at QB. Reflecting recently after Billy Goat Grundiff-gate, on how 2 decades of Matt Stover's reliability had spoiled Ravens Nation, it occurred to me that Joe's 1st 4 years have spoiled us as to his durability. The boards will light up all night over "elite vs. non-elite," but there is no arguing that Joe has gone 16 starts plus playoffs 4 years running. I was surprised to never see or even hear rumours [even as disinformation] of a Tyrod package. Hell, use it for one series as a Tebow-esque ground game when in a jam at some point; then opponents' Ds have to spend some time/mind on it.

Joe is not Goober, but that doesn't mean we can [as the Colts did] convince ourselves he won't get sidelined for real at some point, if only for a few games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Joe is not Goober, but that doesn't mean we can [as the Colts did] convince ourselves he won't get sidelined for real at some point, if only for a few games.
    Well its been barely a year since we had Marc Bulger in as a backup. It's not like the FO doesn't know this can happen. Not every year is a quality #2 available under the salary cap.

We kicked this around ad nauseum over the summer, but you end up throwing millions at a Brady Quinn or an AJ Feeley just to say "we did something" even though those guys won't win you any more games than the cheapest salaried rookie will. I think that's why they went rookie this year. If another Bulger situation comes along where a real, quality QB is willing to come in, for cheap, and be a backup (a lot to ask for) then that's I'm sure what the Ravens will do.

But Bulgers don't appear out of thin air every year. It's hard enough to have one QB on the roster who can get you to the playoffs. Most NFL teams don't even have ONE to start with, let alone TWO.

I think some of us are missing a key point here: Caldwell will be subordinate to Cam. Caldwell can make very little difference unless Cam allows him to. Caldwell could turn Flacco into Payton Version 2, but if Cam runs Rice up the middle on 1st and 2nd down (for example), leaving Joe with a lot of 3rd and longs, we won't score a whole lot more points.

Great hire IMO. Coached Peyton for close to 10 years so he knows a thing or two about QBs.

This is the best news we've had in a while. I also think the Ravens may be positioning Cam's successor despite the recent extension.

They could have done alot worse than to get one of the guys who worked with Peyton for 10 years. Hopefully he'll be able to bring in and utilize techniques that Manning used that will work well for Joe. It would be great to have a set of 3 plays called in and let Joe choose at the line, but if he just gets the latitude to audible based on what he sees at the line, I'll be happy with that. Coryell and the Manning system are based much on timing, so this just seems like a really good pickup.

This isn't a surprising hire either, given that they tried unsuccessfully to bring in Tom Moore. Might even end up being a better hire. Moore was in semi-retirement. Caldwell's probably looking to prove himself again and move back up to HC somewhere at some point, so he'll probably be highly motivated.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present