Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Its no different than the last 3 years. They make the playoffs, win a game and choke at the end. That's what separates the Ravens from the Steelers. The Ravens can't figure out how to finish. Choking every year is not success.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: now that its over

It wasn't successful because we didn't reach our goal which was a SB. It's worrying that Harbaugh seemed to be happy after that game as if we played so well in a losing fashion, but nearly all of the players looked close to suicidal. I sometimes wonder if there's a different mentality about where the team wants to be between the players and coaches on this team...

Reaching the AFC championship and playing well was my barometer before the season started. I was disappointed that they didn't reach the superbowl, and especially in that they had it right within their(Evans') grasp, but overall, the season was a success in my book.

Obviously a success, made it to the final 4 of the entire NFL, won a division title....this has to be a success by anyones standards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No. We ended this year the same as the previous 3. Watching the Super Bowl with two other teams playing. There's no 3rd place trophy.
    :word
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

I think part of the problem for Flacco, and Harbaugh, is that they've had such great success early they've built up some really high expectations.

I mean if they'd won 6 games in 08- as pretty much everybody expected them to- people would have been fine w that, and explained it away as having a rookie head coach and rookie qb. Then if they win 9 games, and lose in the playoffs in the first round, go 12-4 and win a playoff game before losing to Pitt., go 12-4 and win the division and lose in the AFCC game to NE, people would be more content as they saw progress.

I don't think it's entirely fair to hold their own success against them. I do agree that the ultimate barometer for them and this franchise should be a Superbowl victory, but I'm a little surprised that people aren't more content w a team that is as good as this one is, consistently.

To each their own, but like I said, I'm dissapointed, but that doesn't make this an unsuccessful year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I think part of the problem for Flacco, and Harbaugh, is that they've had such great success early they've built up some really high expectations.

I mean if they'd won 6 games in 08- as pretty much everybody expected them to- people would have been fine w that, and explained it away as having a rookie head coach and rookie qb. Then if they win 9 games, and lose in the playoffs in the first round, go 12-4 and win a playoff game before losing to Pitt., go 12-4 and win the division and lose in the AFCC game to NE, people would be more content as they saw progress.

I don't think it's entirely fair to hold their own success against them. I do agree that the ultimate barometer for them and this franchise should be a Superbowl victory, but I'm a little surprised that people aren't more content w a team that is as good as this one is, consistently.

To each their own, but like I said, I'm dissapointed, but that doesn't make this an unsuccessful year.
    You're right. The expectations have become incredibly high that they are very hard to meet. Unless we have a 2002 type purge or lose Flacco or Rice for a season they're going to stay that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're right. The expectations have become incredibly high that they are very hard to meet. Unless we have a 2002 type purge or lose Flacco or Rice for a season they're going to stay that way.
    As they should be imo. But winning you're division and going to the AFCC game should be satisfactory I believe. But like I said, to each their own.

I do worry about this fanbase though if we have a down year and fail to make the playoffs. It's bound to happen one of these years, and there would be some seriously insane venting if/when it does happen. I mean, people would want Harbaugh, and most likely Flacco, gone. I don't look forward to that year. I mean we have a large part of the fanbase that bitches and moans throughout the 12-4 Division winning/sweeping, last second loss in the AFCC game season. What would they sound like if we went 7-9? I shudder to think.

As a fan, all you can hope for is that your team makes the playoffs and gives themselves a shot. The competition at the top is so close, and you need breaks and players to perform at the right time. If you keep putting yourself in the mix , eventually you will get the breaks and confidence to break through and get to the next level. The Ravens are on the verge and as Bum Phillips said "we're knocking on the door but we need to bust the door down". The Ravens will get there soon and it will be worth it all knowing how tough it is to get there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    As they should be imo. But winning you're division and going to the AFCC game should be satisfactory I believe. But like I said, to each their own.

I do worry about this fanbase though if we have a down year and fail to make the playoffs. It's bound to happen one of these years, and there would be some seriously insane venting if/when it does happen. I mean, people would want Harbaugh, and most likely Flacco, gone. I don't look forward to that year. I mean we have a large part of the fanbase that bitches and moans throughout the 12-4 Division winning/sweeping, last second loss in the AFCC game season. What would they sound like if we went 7-9? I shudder to think.
    One my favorite seasons as a Ravens fan was 2002. We all knew it was over after 2001 and they were going to have to gut the team and rebuild. Those young players though really showed something. Especially on defense where guys like Ed Reed, Gary Baxter, AD and Kelly Gregg showed everyone that they were ready to take over.

That season we had zero expectations. The team went 7-9 and was a couple of plays away from 9-7. Damn, that was fun.

7-9 now though wouldn't be as fun. Not from 4 years of being this close. You can't get there each year without winning it and expect fans to be happy. I bet it's the same way for the players, the front office and Bisciotti. They have to be just as frustrated by this as the fans are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    One my favorite seasons as a Ravens fan was 2002. We all knew it was over after 2001 and they were going to have to gut the team and rebuild. Those young players though really showed something. Especially on defense where guys like Ed Reed, Gary Baxter, AD and Kelly Gregg showed everyone that they were ready to take over.

That season we had zero expectations. The team went 7-9 and was a couple of plays away from 9-7. Damn, that was fun.

7-9 now though wouldn't be as fun. Not from 4 years of being this close. You can't get there each year without winning it and expect fans to be happy. I bet it's the same way for the players, the front office and Bisciotti. They have to be just as frustrated by this as the fans are.
    I'm sure they're frustrated as hell; one of the more ridiculous things we've read here in the aftermath of the loss and the retention of CC, is the idea that somehow the FO and coaching staff doesn't care enough because they didn't drag CC through the streets and publicly castrate him. The organization cares more than the fans do; they just are going to be professionals about it, and that means accepting dissapointment.

2002 was a great year, but I don't think it can touch 2008. That was a team most pegged for 4-5 wins and we went all the way to the AFCC game. That was a hell of a ride, and really rekindled alot of Ravens love after the terrible years of 05 and 07, and the bitter dissapointment of 06.

For me, one of the most disappointing years was 04. We'd come off the AFC North title w the youngest team in the league; Ed Reed played out of his mind all year, and we still missed the playoffs, and were physically dominated by Pitt in the 2nd matchup. Not to mention that Pitt. unearthed Ben and it was pretty obvious that the balance of power had shifted in the conference for the forseeable future.

Blog Entries

the best season we've had in a long time; absolutely knocked it out of the ball park. Crushed Pitt and then beat them at their place with a comeback dagger to the heart, beat the Jets, beat SF in front of a huge national audience on Thanksgiving. Swept the division and were a play away from the SB. I'm still dissapointed in the way that game ended but the season was fantastic.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!