Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question now that its over

Do you consider the 2011 season a success?
    Of course every fan wants to win the SB, and even fans of the team arent totally happy because they lost to a rival or didnt win by enough points etc.
    But given a 12-4 season, div champ and afccg appearance do you consider 2011 "successful"?

another question....IF 2011 HAD to end in a loss, are you happy it came in the AFC CG or would you have rather made it to the SB and lost?
    *again, the premise is the season had to end with an L*

Re: now that its over

I consider the season to be a success. I would have rather lost in the Super Bowl than losing the AFC Championship as we did. It was not losing that is so bad, it was the way we lost. One two punch, dropped td pass and missed chip shot FG in the last 20 seconds. I will never forget it.

To define success in this case, we would have to define what the goal is. The goal is to make it to/win the Superbowl. In those terms, no we were not successful. Analogy...you can win battles but not necessarily win the war. If you don't win the war, your objective was not met, thus not successful.

I would have preferred we made it to the Superbowl and lost. Why? Because it would have meant we beat out every AFC rival to get there.

To me, the season was a resounding, overwhelming success. The post-season? Not so much.

Fans have a right to expect teams to have successful seasons. The post season is just to reliant on luck, getting hot at just the right moment, and getting the right matchups to call what we did a "failure." The Steelers post season was a failure. The Broncos was too since they lost in such a beatdown. Houston and Baltimore didn't win it all, but neither one had a "failure" of a postseason.

It's not all about binary "Success" or "Failure." Our season was great, our post season was one drop shy of perfect. There has to be something between "Success" and "Failure" to describe that.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369068,-76.761277
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    To define success in this case, we would have to define what the goal is. The goal is to make it to/win the Superbowl. In those terms, no we were not successful. Analogy...you can win battles but not necessarily win the war. If you don't win the war, your objective was not met, thus not successful.

I would have preferred we made it to the Superbowl and lost. Why? Because it would have meant we beat out every AFC rival to get there.
    Pretty much on target IMO.
    I think inside the castle this is pretty much the same sentiment as from day one they set the bar and goal as getting to Indy.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    I consider the season to be a success. I would have rather lost in the Super Bowl than losing the AFC Championship as we did. It was not losing that is so bad, it was the way we lost. One two punch, dropped td pass and missed chip shot FG in the last 20 seconds. I will never forget it.
    'the drop', and 'the miss', all in less than 30 sec...pretty impressive! At least this team knows how to turn the emotional screws to its fanbase.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

By most standards it was a resounding success. By my standards, it was a disappointment.

Simple failures to execute throughout the season cost us what could have been a LEGENDARY year.

On the lighter side, I probably saved 2-3 grand by the Ravens not making it to the SuperBowl.

Yes, it was. We won the division, swept the rival, and made it just one play short of a Superbowl. Was it successful as we all hoped? No. But, it was still a success.

I'd actually prefer to lose in the AFCCG this time round, actually. More of a chance guys like Ray Lewis would've said 'right, I'm finally here, retiring whatever happens' at the Superbowl and even if the Giants are playing very well, I'd rather have to stomach a loss on the road to a 13-3 team as opposed on a neutral field to a 9-7 team that got swept by the Redskins.

Teams who lose the Superbowl tend to not play that fantastic the year after (though, the last two years that trend has somewhat buckled, though the loser lost in the wildcard round on both occasions), if they make the playoffs at all. This keeps the elusive taste in your mouth as opposed to tasting it and it poisoning you.

Blog Entries

I'm diappointed because I wanted them to win the Superbowl.

But that doesn't mean I consider the season to be a failure. I'm content w what the team accomplished in 2011. If we had got into the playoffs as a WC again, and lost in the Divisional round, I don't think I would have be content w that. Winning the division was the big goal for me this year, and they did it, and did it in a resounding fashion.

And yes, I would have preferred to lose the Superbowl. An AFC championship is better than an AFC North championship imo.

Major success. Up to the point when Harbaugh inexplicably failed to call time-out, I really got my money's worth!

Only one team's fan wind up enjoying winning it all. The other 31 team's fans are all not dealing with failure. Redskins and Colts fans: yes, total failures. Texans and Broncos fans: wildly successful. And our team achieved more than either.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

No. We ended this year the same as the previous 3. Watching the Super Bowl with two other teams playing. There's no 3rd place trophy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No. We ended this year the same as the previous 3. Watching the Super Bowl with two other teams playing. There's no 3rd place trophy.
    This. With every season that passes, I become less confident that this current coaching regime will win a SB.