Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Irsay showing his true colors

It seems that once an Irsay, always an Irsay. All the talk about how the son is different from the father must end now, with the way he's been handling his team and treating the guy, Manning, who WAS the franchise for the past 14 years, and the only reason they have stayed in Indianapolis and gotten a big nice stadium.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...ublic-comments

I like one of the comments below this story, which goes something like: "Peyton, please be quiet so I can sell some tickets between now and the day I will cut you. -- Irsay"

Re: Irsay showing his true colors

I think you're a little of my base. Jim Irsay is no way nearly as bad as his father but I get your point. I see a divorce coming here and it's a shame. Peyton put that franchise on the map.

Irsay now gets to show everyone what he can do to rebuild a football team that stunk up the field in 2011.If Manning goes, It will be safe to assume that the colts are average again. Nothing wrong with the colts missing the postseason for a long while. Hope the indiannapolis fans don't abandon the team. LOL

I feel bad for Pagano for going into that snakepit.
    Robert Irsay was the Big Weasel, Jimmy is the Little Weasel.
    I'd love to see Peyton go to the Jets and lead them to the playoffs and beat Indy on the way.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

I don't think the Younger is as bad as the Older, but I've always felt the whole franchise was overrated as a "model of consistency."

The fact of the matter is, they stunk for a long time w Jimmy in charge, and weren't any good until Polian and Manning showed up. Now, both of those guys are gone, and, imo, they're going to stink for a long time again. UNLESS, Luck is everything he's hyped up to be, and despite what many believe, that is no guarantee.

How does this show him to be on par with his father?

If I were an owner, I'd be upset too my star QB is running his mouth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How does this show him to be on par with his father?

If I were an owner, I'd be upset too my star QB is running his mouth.
    Again, I'm not saying he's on par w his father.

But I do think he hasn't accomplished a whole hell of alot in the league, except luck into drafting Manning 14 years ago, and if he hadn't done that he would have uprooted that franchise from Indy too.

And if he didn't want his star QB to give an interview, which wasn't even inflammatory, maybe he ought not run his fucking mouth to Rob Lowe about Peyton Manning's intentions. Manning doens't deserve that respect after all he's done for that franchise?

I sure as hell think so, and if I was Manning, I'd be pissed too.

I don't think he's as bad as his father. I haven't seen Irsay flying into the LA Coliseum to drum up interest in a move. Not, so far as I know, has he called plays. But then again, the way Caldwell was using time outs, it might have helped if he had.

Be that as it may, the thing that Manning is pissed about is in the same vein as Irsay Sr. Manning's quote was that people that he's worked with in the building were showing up and finding that their keys weren't working. It would seem that according to Manning, they were showing up and found they were out in the cold. Which is basically what happened that March in 1984. House was cleaned out and that was it. Fortunately for them, it's just Manning that's moving and not the entire team.

Manning thought he was entirely different from the father. I put the quote into an earlier post, but to paraphrase, Manning asked if things couldn't have been done better, was there a better way than to have people show up and find they've been fired?

In the same vein, but not quite as bad. And FWIW, the son did hire a good head coach.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Blog Entries

This is why I was suprised Pagano chose to go to that franchise. That organization is going through such a strange time right now. They're just two years removed from playing in a Super Bowl. One losing season (granted, debacle of a season) costs nearly the entire FO and coaching staff their jobs, the franchise QB is clearly unhappy with the way the owner is running things. Other than having the top pick in the draft, not much going for them as far as easing into a new head coaching gig. But, Pagano was the one who decided now was the time to be a head coach.

That said, Irsay making those comments was not Bob Irsay like. You'd expect that kind of behavior from half the owners in the league. The closest thing that Jim Irsay did recently which had me scratching my head is when he started a twitter contest to give away SB tix to whoever guessed the next Colts HC. BEFORE he had picked one. You're already turning your head coaching search into a promotional contest? I'm almost wondering if he looked at the majority of responses to decide who to hire.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Some of it though doesn't make sense to me. You want a new head coach? A new GM? Sure, that's your perogative.

But do you really need to fire the strength coach? WTF did he have to do w a 2-14 season? And you have to do it right in the middle of his workout w Manning?

It seems to me, and others have speculated, Irsay is just flapping his dick around to do it and put his stamp all over the organziation.

For some reason, I don't that's going to work out for them. Before Polian and Manning, they were a fucking joke. I suspect the same will be true afterwards.

Blog Entries

They have major cap issues too; it's going to be a mess there for a while. Especially given the other teams in that conference are getting a little stronger.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Again, I'm not saying he's on par w his father.

But I do think he hasn't accomplished a whole hell of alot in the league, except luck into drafting Manning 14 years ago, and if he hadn't done that he would have uprooted that franchise from Indy too.

And if he didn't want his star QB to give an interview, which wasn't even inflammatory, maybe he ought not run his fucking mouth to Rob Lowe about Peyton Manning's intentions. Manning doens't deserve that respect after all he's done for that franchise?

I sure as hell think so, and if I was Manning, I'd be pissed too.
    Not sure how the Polians scouting Manning since he was in high school can be called "lucking" into him.

And winning a Super Bowl is a pretty big deal.

This feels like Bmore sour grapes.