Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pagano continues to pick from Pittsburgh

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/

Now the Pittsburgh LB coach will be DC in Indy.

Looks like the Ravens D staff will remain, which is good. Wonder if it was a contract stipulation or just goodwill?

Of course, still have players to be contested with FA coming in March.

Blog Entries

Re: Pagano continues to pick from Pittsburgh

Getting Butler is a major coup. He was their DC in waiting when LeBeau retires.

I just want to see where all the people screaming about Brooks being a DC are. Pagano didn't steal him either. I like the guy, but maybe he's just not the type to want to run a whole defense.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

^agreed; I had always heard he was waiting for LeBeau to retire and he would be promoted. I like it!

Pagano is going to turn that team into a blue collar physical group

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Getting Butler is a major coup. He was their DC in waiting when LeBeau retires.

I just want to see where all the people screaming about Brooks being a DC are. Pagano didn't steal him either. I like the guy, but maybe he's just not the type to want to run a whole defense.
    What more does Brooks have to show? He has been successful for years, in various different environments. Pagano was given his chance. Why shouldn't Brooks get his chance?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I don't necesarrily disagree with that, but people were SCREAMING about how Pees was just a "Harbaugh buddy" and Brooks would clearly be the best option, and were just dumbfounded that Pees was the guy.

I thought whoever didn't get the Ravens gig would get plucked by Pagano. But Brooks didn't seem all that upset with Pees getting the gig, he was at the PC anyway. And with the Colts nabbing someone else, I think it might just be a sign that Brooks isn't necessarily a slam dunk DC candidate yet. Apparently, we can block him from interviewing for anything but HC though, so maybe there's just an unreported story here, but generally we allow coaches to interview for other promotions if they can't get them here. We let Pettine go to Rex with the Jets. And no one else was interviewing him for DC openings around the league.

Aagain, not trying to dump on the guy, I think he's a great position coach. I'm more trying to point out to those who were confused as to why Pees would get it over Brooks and claimed it was a huge mistake, no one else tried to promote Brooks either. So there may be something there, like someone saying he might not want to be a DC.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Pagano is going to turn that team into a blue collar physical group
    Not with the personnel he has there today! It would take several defender dominated drafts to get him the kind of meat that he would need to become a physical team. I doubt he lasts that long in Indiana.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I don't necesarrily disagree with that, but people were SCREAMING about how Pees was just a "Harbaugh buddy" and Brooks would clearly be the best option, and were just dumbfounded that Pees was the guy.

I thought whoever didn't get the Ravens gig would get plucked by Pagano. But Brooks didn't seem all that upset with Pees getting the gig, he was at the PC anyway. And with the Colts nabbing someone else, I think it might just be a sign that Brooks isn't necessarily a slam dunk DC candidate yet. Apparently, we can block him from interviewing for anything but HC though, so maybe there's just an unreported story here, but generally we allow coaches to interview for other promotions if they can't get them here. We let Pettine go to Rex with the Jets. And no one else was interviewing him for DC openings around the league.

Aagain, not trying to dump on the guy, I think he's a great position coach. I'm more trying to point out to those who were confused as to why Pees would get it over Brooks and claimed it was a huge mistake, no one else tried to promote Brooks either. So there may be something there, like someone saying he might not want to be a DC.
    Brooks has interviewed for the position twice. When Rex left, Brooks interviewed for the vacancy. The job was given to Mattison. Then, when Mattison left, Brooks interviewed again. The job was given to Pagano. Posters were also upset last year, feeling that Brooks was more deserving than Pagano.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Apparently Pagano, Arians, and Butler were all on the staff of the Browns together in 2001-2002, under Butch Davis. (Per Hensley)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Not with the personnel he has there today! It would take several defender dominated drafts to get him the kind of meat that he would need to become a physical team. I doubt he lasts that long in Indiana.
    True but they'll turn over half that roster in a year or two at most. The days of Cover 2 in Indy are gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I repectfully disagree. I think the Steelers hung onto to LeBeau one year too long. He should have been have been promoted this year or last year. Butler has the making of being a very good DC. IMO

Butler is staying with the Steelers according to the Pittsgurgh PG. Met with Tomlin nad Rooney today and canceleld his interview in Indy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Butler is staying with the Steelers according to the Pittsgurgh PG. Met with Tomlin nad Rooney today and canceleld his interview in Indy.
    I just saw that, good for him. He got a big raise and a much better situation than he would've had in Indy