Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Kindle had a hard time digesting the playbook.

I also think the fact that he has hearing loss in one of his ears from the stairs incident isn't helping him at all.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

I'm afraid that Kindle = Cody II. All this optimism is great, but combination of slow learner, skull, partial deafness, lack of common sense re night life, etc creates a huge challenge.

Let's hope that Jarrett Johnson sticks around another few seasons and dip back into draft pool.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I'm afraid that Kindle = Cody II. All this optimism is great, but combination of slow learner, skull, partial deafness, lack of common sense re night life, etc creates a huge challenge.

Let's hope that Jarrett Johnson sticks around another few seasons and dip back into draft pool.
    He has a lot going against him, but honestly the hard part is over. He's already proven he can hit and be physical. That was something most of the medical evaluators said he'd likely never be able to do again.

I think that the Ravens will definitely look at pass rushers/OLB's in this draft and free agency, but there is nothing that says that Kindle cannot contribute.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The Ravens do employ one of the most complex defenses in the league. Theres plenty of smart guys that cant decipher it very well (Tom Brady for instance). I dont think its a huge knock on the guy, and coming off a head injury im sure he wasnt diving into a playbook as much as he was just trying to get his ability to talk normally and vision/hearing back. I think 1/2 way through the year would be a good thing. I dont think many other "rookies" really fully learn the playbook until 4-6 weeks in anyway. I mean look at torrey as an example. early season id say he wasnt nearly as good as he ended up, because he learned what he had to do as the season progressed. that includes adjusting to the NFL, which hopefully Kindle has done during practice to some capacity.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

There is also a lot to be said about studying a playbook vice studying the playbook and actually physically doing it on the practice field.

If you take that into consideration, this past season was basically Kindle's rookie year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Simple solution. New DC (to Kindle): "Hey kid, here is your assignment. You ready?". Kindle: "Yes sir." DC: "See that guy over there wearing number 7?" Kindle: "Yes sir." DC: "Kill him."

Anyone else reading this and thinking of Jim Brown in Any Given Sunday lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871Is5e8va8

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Simple solution. New DC (to Kindle): "Hey kid, here is your assignment. You ready?". Kindle: "Yes sir." DC: "See that guy over there wearing number 7?" Kindle: "Yes sir." DC: "Kill him."
    The old Bobby Boucher method. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120484/

Blog Entries

Kindle is going to have to earn a spot next season. They aren't going to automatically keep him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This is what I thought they would do with him this year in obvious passing situations at minimum.
    Seemed to work for the 49ers with Aldon Smith.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    This is what I thought they would do with him this year in obvious passing situations at minimum.
    Seemed to work for the 49ers with Aldon Smith.
    Aldon Smith didn't have to play special teams. ;)
    Last edited by Terpsfan82; 01-27-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    OK, but he wouldn't be the 1st player to struggle learning how to play in the NFL - James Harrison got cut 4 times in his first three years (3times by PGH, once by us), primarily due to his inability to learn the playbook:
    That's a very good point.

They don't seem to be ready to give up on him yet, and based on the way they worked his contract and being on the "Non-Football Injury List" in 2010, he's only now completed his first accrued season in the NFL, so contractually he's just completed his rookie year. As such, they've got 2 more years to see what happens before he becomes a RFA - at which time their salary commitment would increase greatly.

Personally, I'm not real optimistic about him ever being what we had hoped him to be, but there's certainly no reason to not let it play out and see what may happen. At this point, anything we get would be a bonus.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap