Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Art Modell - HOF Chances may have gotten better!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-dealer-beat/

Tony Grossi no longer covers the Browns as a beat writer, following the accidental publication of a private Twitter message that called Browns owner Randy Lerner “pathetic” and an “irrelevant billionaire.”

IF KARMA WERE A BOOMERANG.... HOPE YOU GET YOURS GROSSI!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Re: Art Modell - HOF Chances may have gotten better!

He's only one vote.

And I don't think this means he's off the committee either.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He's only one vote.

Why you gotta go burstin' my bubble.... :(

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

He's only one vote.

He may have only had one voice but when it came to this subject, it was a very LOUD one.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

This could be big news because he is the one who gets up and cries to the other writers about why Mr.Modell should not be voted in to the HOF. Maybe the other writers will now grow a set and do the right thing. All of us can continue to do our part by sending letters imploring that Mr. Modell be elected in.

Blog Entries

To me it is laughable that Mr. Art Modell is not in the HOF. It is all political. His decades of ownership and service to the NFL is hard to match. His agreement to send his team (Browns) to the AFC, and stewardship of the TV committee, well you can't put a price tag on his hard work and even handed nature. On a football note, his 1964 Browns won the NFL championship, and his 2000/01 Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV. Those who vote against him are hard of heart, and IMO disagree with their own minds on the subject... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    To me it is laughable that Mr. Art Modell is not in the HOF. It is all political. His decades of ownership and service to the NFL is hard to match. His agreement to send his team (Browns) to the AFC, and stewardship of the TV committee, well you can't put a price tag on his hard work and even handed nature. On a football note, his 1964 Browns won the NFL championship, and his 2000/01 Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV. Those who vote against him are hard of heart, and IMO disagree with their own minds on the subject... Bc

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He's only one vote.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Once someone is a committee member, they can only lose their vote by retirement, resignation or death.

"With the exception of the PFWA representative who is appointed for a two-year term, all appointments are of the open-end variety and can be terminated only by retirement or resignation, as long as the member continues to attend meetings regularly."

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

Len Pasquarelli, for example, is still the Atlanta rep, and he hasn't worked in that market for 13 years now.

I guess it's possible that Lerner and/or Grossi's employer, the Plain Dealer, are sufficiently pissed enough to pressure him to resign, but it's still up to him. And can't imagine he'd give up his membership - my impression is that his crusade against Modell is clearly something he takes very personally.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    You're right about people being hard of heart. It's amazing that people think of him more in the vein of Bob Irsay than say, Al Davis, when clearly his work on behalf of the league and the couple of championships more closely aligns him with the latter and not the former. But to do that, they have to completely dismiss all of his league-centered accomplishments. (Then again, I keep arguing that Modell never helicoptered into another city's stadium to pimp the team or any of the other stuff Irsay did. Doesn't matter. They're still the same, apparently, to many people)

For that reason, even if Grossi somehow gives up his vote, I'm sure the next Cleveland writer will continue the crusade even if Grossi's crusade does seem intensly personal.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Blog Entries
    It's starting to sound like Grossi has a problem with NFL owners. Glad this bit him.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I just hope that everybody who bought into his bitter, one-dimensional thinking see him for what he truly is now. It merely shows that someone in the press who decides to push their own agenda has too much power. Al Davis in the HOF and Art not?

It is a round world, Grossi. I hope it is sticking out of your eyes.
    Captain Offense

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

He's only one vote.

He wasn't just a vote, he was the main campaigner against Modell, giving a "passionate" speech each and every time Modell came up.

I don't know what this means in regard to the HOF voting committee, however.