Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Which players/coaches are leaving with Chuck Pagano?

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    Starting Kruger would be best anyway, he's young and has developed some slippery pass rush moves which will only benefit Suggs on the other side. What's really the point in keeping JJ? He'll be 31, provides hardly any rush on the left side and is not fast to begin with. I love the guy for his attitude, but it's time to keep going with the youth movement.
    While from a football standpoint (as opposed to not enjoying losing long time, admirable players), I have no problem if JJ walks and we get younger at the position, but there's a big question in my mind about whether Kruger is ready to replace him. While Kruger is probably the better pass rusher, he's not as good in coverage and, more importantly, not anywhere near as good in stopping the run.

I'm not sold on Kruger as being a viable replacement yet.

I think we'll have a much easier time replacing Redding with quality (Jones and McPhee), than we will in replacing JJ with Kruger.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I would think that both Nakumura and Zbikowski want to be starters.

Keep Nakamura, he does everything well.

Blog Entries

Chris Carr came here because of Pagano. They also worked together in Oakland. If Carr is cut, and supposedly he thinks he will be because he's putting his house on the market, I could see him signing with Indy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Chris Carr came here because of Pagano. They also worked together in Oakland. If Carr is cut, and supposedly he thinks he will be because he's putting his house on the market, I could see him signing with Indy.
    I heard another rumor that Matt Birk sold his house TO Chris Carr.

Let's see how it plays out. Carr being cut wouldn't be so terrible, he's at best #4 on the depth chart if we retain Cary. The contract he signed really doesn't justify a #4 CB.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    While from a football standpoint (as opposed to not enjoying losing long time, admirable players), I have no problem if JJ walks and we get younger at the position, but there's a big question in my mind about whether Kruger is ready to replace him. While Kruger is probably the better pass rusher, he's not as good in coverage and, more importantly, not anywhere near as good in stopping the run.

I'm not sold on Kruger as being a viable replacement yet.

I think we'll have a much easier time replacing Redding with quality (Jones and McPhee), than we will in replacing JJ with Kruger.
    Agree. Losing JJ and his ability to basically shrink the amount of field the other guys have to worry about would mean significantly altering how the Ravens play defense. JJ doesn't give you the pressure, but teams can't run to his side. Putting a Kruger there basically means we have rushers on both sides, opening up options in the running game for opponents, and more stress on the D overall.

The more you can shrink the field AND make the other teams' play calling more predictable, the better each man on the D is able to execute. Losing JJ would mean an across-the-board hit to the D, pretty much.

Then again, with our front, there's an argument to be made that if Kruger can be an effective open field tackler and not get caught overpursuing and seal off the back side of run plays, he helps us on pass rushing downs -- and with the league's emphasis on passing and the prevalance of pass heavy teams especially what we see in the playoffs... certainly makes it an interesting trade-off to ponder.

But as things are I'd like to see us keep JJ. I think he's more useful to the Ravens scheme than he would be to most other teams, especially a rebuilding team. I think he'd be wasting his talent in Indy for the couple years he has left, but then again, if you only have 2-3 years, lets say, there's a lot to be said for maxing out the dollars before you hang em up. I wouldn't fault him for just taking the biggest paycheck, he's earned that right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Let's see how it plays out. Carr being cut wouldn't be so terrible, he's at best #4 on the depth chart if we retain Cary. The contract he signed really doesn't justify a #4 CB.
    The way our cornerbacks tear ACL's we should probably just hang on to him. Twice in 3 years our #4 CB has had to start on a regular basis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Cary Williams is a RFA so he's coming back.

Blog Entries

Chris Carr and Tom Zbikowski could certainly go with Pagano. If the Colts switch to a 3-4 style of defense, Jameel McClain could leave as well. Personally, I believe that if the Ravens draft Dont'a Hightower, he will start beside Ray Lewis week 1.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Maybe one of the safeties, they want to start. McKinney maybe also. JJ will be back, he is a run stopper(plus doesn't want to lose) redding? Do the Ravens want Redding? Jones takes his spot or McPhee. McClain will be retained. HOPE Ellerbe goes. Carr will go if cut, he makes to much as a 4th cb.

10. Re: Which players/coaches are leaving with Chuck Pagano?

But for how much longer is he going to be able to be a good run defender? I think Kruger is a much better pass rusher at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    But for how much longer is he going to be able to be a good run defender? I think Kruger is a much better pass rusher at this point.
    Agreed.

If you noticed in the Pats game, Kruger was on the field a lot more than JJ.

I think JJ is great, but I really just don't see him being a Raven next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

12. Re: Which players/coaches are leaving with Chuck Pagano?

I think it's time to continue the youth movement and really the move helps our pass rush on all downs. Not to mention you have some interesting guys behind them like Kindle and McAdoo who could add something as well.