Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Which players/coaches are leaving with Chuck Pagano?

Why is everyone so down on Ellerbe? i dont think he had an outstanding year (mostly due to injury) but he still played comparable to McClain when he did play and was healthy. I think hes a cheap backup at this point which well need. Ayanbadejo probably wont return either at 35, or maybe he gets a 1 year vet min deal.
    -JAB

2. Re: Which players/coaches are leaving with Chuck Pagano?

I'm not rooting for McClain to return. I still don't even think he's a true ILB and I don't think he's anything great, average at best. We need to address this position because they've been part of the problem at times against the run. We need to get some tackling machines.

I suspect Kruger played more as Pats pass a lot more than they run.
    would hate to see JJ go but we've seen 30ish defenders leave before (Bart Scott, Adalius, Starks, Edge, etc) and survived.
    wouldn't it be great if Kindle caught fire and became a big-time player next year.

good thread!
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

With the type of talent that Dannell Ellerbe possesses, he had no business letting Jameel McClain switch from OLB to ILB and take a starting position over him. His problem is that, from what I have gathered, he does not put in the time during the week, to maximize his physical potential. Tom Brady had him doing circles.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I think that we could look at players who would want the opportunity to start, are not too old and who might not be affordable.

Brandon McKinney is one guy that could leave, along with Chris Carr and one of the safeties.

By the way, has anyone thought that, depending on the tender they give him, Cary Williams could receive an offer sheet?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

By the way, has anyone thought that, depending on the tender they give him, Cary Williams could receive an offer sheet?
    I mentioned that in one of my end-of-season threads on Monday. I think Williams gets a first round tender which means he will be a Raven for at least a year longer.

If he gets less than a 1st round tender, I think there's a legit shot he could get an offer sheet elsewhere and I think the Ravens would let him walk and take the draft pick rather than absorb a moonshot contract on a player who has only one year of starting experience. From another team's standpoint, it might be worthwhile (if you have the cap space) to give up that high draft pick for a player in his prime like Williams as opposed to rolling the dice on a unproven rookie.

Personally, I'd actually like to see the Ravens take a shot at a nice 3 year deal at a hometown discount to secure his services affordably for 3 more years. Williams has yet to hit his big NFL payday and if we could get him under contract for $2.5 million this year and maybe $3.5 million for 2013 (age 28) and 2014 (age 29), I think that would make both player and team happy.
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 01-27-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Why is everyone so down on Ellerbe?
    If Ellerbe goes anywhere, he will go there two steps behind a Patriots' receiver.

Blog Entries

It will be interesting to see if the Ravens place a second round tender on Williams. That would, essentially, welcome other teams to bring him in. They might understand that this could be Williams last year here. Webb will need a contract and Jimmy will get his in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agree. Losing JJ and his ability to basically shrink the amount of field the other guys have to worry about would mean significantly altering how the Ravens play defense. JJ doesn't give you the pressure, but teams can't run to his side. Putting a Kruger there basically means we have rushers on both sides, opening up options in the running game for opponents, and more stress on the D overall.

The more you can shrink the field AND make the other teams' play calling more predictable, the better each man on the D is able to execute. Losing JJ would mean an across-the-board hit to the D, pretty much.

Then again, with our front, there's an argument to be made that if Kruger can be an effective open field tackler and not get caught overpursuing and seal off the back side of run plays, he helps us on pass rushing downs -- and with the league's emphasis on passing and the prevalance of pass heavy teams especially what we see in the playoffs... certainly makes it an interesting trade-off to ponder.

But as things are I'd like to see us keep JJ. I think he's more useful to the Ravens scheme than he would be to most other teams, especially a rebuilding team. I think he'd be wasting his talent in Indy for the couple years he has left, but then again, if you only have 2-3 years, lets say, there's a lot to be said for maxing out the dollars before you hang em up. I wouldn't fault him for just taking the biggest paycheck, he's earned that right.
    Wasn't the same thing said when Hartwell, AD and Scott left? How did that work out for them and the Ravens still had good defenses. 1 player doesn't make these defense, not even Ray Lewis. The d balled when Ray was out
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!