Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

or atleast bring in a coach who runs a 4-3 like Steve Spagnuolo? Im not suggesting they should hire him but i would like to see a coach who can run the 4-3. Chuck may or may not take coaches with him from the ravens staff. and it looks like the ravens could just bring in somebody new all together. I dont what the ravens to get rid of the 3-4 but find a coach who can utilize all our defense of personel which i think is one of the best in the leauge and switch it up week to week according to the game plan.

The Ravens have the players on the team already to run the 4-3. We have tackles that are huge and can take up space in the middle (ngata,cody,Mckinney) we have defensive ends that can get pash rush and play they run ok. (Suggs,Kruger, Redding,Mcphee, Kindle?)

And with an aging Ray Lewis in the Middle this will Free him up more with all the beef up front taken on more blocks in the gaps. Our outside LB's will be faster next year and our young secondary is improving great with Webb turning into a shutdown corner.

I think our passing defense will be better next year with or without ed reed. Webb turning into a lockdown corner takes away one half of the field. I believe our front 7 in a 4-3 base defense could stop the run better than our 3-4 front 7.

Re: Should Ravens Switch to a 4-3 Defense?

No. And no, they don't have the players for it either.

Change to a 4-3? We already run a lot of 4-3 type alignments.

Blog Entries

Spags has already been hired by the Saints.

Where are you going to play Cody or Ngata in a 4-3? Do you want Suggs to go back to DE full time? It can be done but is a 4-3 the best system with players who have been drafted to play a 3-4? The Ravens don't play a pure 3-4 anyway like they did under Nolan. That's why Ray was getting blocked in that system but wasn't once Rex modified things. I'm not quite sure what the advantage would really be.

Blog Entries

I don't see how the personnel fits a 4-3. Need to have interior guys on the DL who can rush, and OLBs who can cover, right now I don't see the Ravens having guys that fit either of those descriptions. A healthy Ngata gives you some pass rush but Cody and the others don't provide anything in that area...and they literally have nobody at OLB who can cover like a 4-3 would require them to.

Blog Entries

Why would we switch anything? we were 3rd in the league overall. Were best as a 3-4 in my opinion. Ngata and Cody taking double teams allows us to be better in coverage as well as pass rushing.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No. And no, they don't have the players for it either.
    To answer the OP, I say no they shouldn't and likely won't run a base 4-3.

However HR, I disagree. The Ravens have the personnel to run both a base 4-3 and a base 3-4. In fact, it happened a lot more than folks realize. Most of the nickel and dime packages had 4 down lineman. The Ravens ran a lot of defensive schemes with 4 down lineman, 2 LB's and a jack. A lot of the Ravens' defensive players are capable of several schemes.

RE - Suggs
    DT - Ngata/Redding (assuming he stays)
    DT - Cody/Art
    LE - Kruger/McPhee

Sam - McClain
    Mike - Ray
    Will - Ellerbe/JJ/BA

It's completely feasible and wouldn't be a major ordeal. However, Dean Pees is a 3-4 guy and will undoubtedly continue in the tradition of using 3-4 off-shoots and hybrid schemes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

They should switch to Organized Chaos again

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Yes. Soon as we can add Justin Tuck and JPP
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

We already run a little bit of both the 3-4 and 4-3. If it's not broke don't fix it. Our defense has been at the top of the league for years. There's nothing to gain switching to a 4-3 strictly.

3-4 vs 4-3 base is over rated. As long as we stop the run, most of the big games will be played in a nickle base anyway. The Ravens have always used a variety of formations.

IMO defense is much more about the players than the scheme. Can your front 4 get pressure, can your CBs cover 1 on 1, do you need both safties deep or can one be a box player and still match up? If you have a hole in your defensive personel the scheme is almost always going to be trying to cover that up and not mixing it up and keeping the OC guessing.

:T2:

Blog Entries

The versatility of the defense is what makes it so confusing for opposing offenses.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore