Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: AFC North predictions for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    With Cam = 4000 bitching posts by RHarris
    I'm honored to be so highly thought of by someone who spends the majority of his time near the dental floss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    They don't really need to do a youth movement. Cutting:

Hampton
    Kemo
    Hoke
    Smith
    Farrior
    Foote
    Battle
    Allen
    Ward
    McFadden

... would save them over $20 million. Deferring the roster bonuses for Woodley and Timmons over the length of their contracts saves about another $10 million. So there's $30 million they can save right off the bat without cutting any players of significance.

Again, where they'll be hurting is on veteran depth off the bench - they really won't have a lot.
    maybe i miss heard but i thought they were 20-25 million over the estimated cap next year? not including resigning any of their own FAs or draft picks.

My point is if youre going to get rid of every name except harrison and woodley, why keep harrison? thats an obvious youth movement in my eyes, and even if its only one year, the chances Harrison is around and effective will be highly unlikely. save the extra 5.5 and release him, allowing you to move that dead money to next year when youll hopefully have more cap room anyway.

From the SteelersDepot:
    The Pittsburgh Steelers are already nearly $20 plus million over the 2012 projected salary cap number of $125 million and that is with just 44 players under contract
    cutting 30 million only gets them under the cap by about 10 million at the most. theres going to be major changes in Pittsburgh. theyre going to need to fill that roster with a lot of young players on the cheap, and 5.5 million could be 2-3 decent vets, as opposed to just roster filler and harrison.

Even if they keep Harrison with all the players youre suggesting, they wont be the same team weve had trouble with in years past and will be lucky to have a winning season. especially if they plan on only playing with 34 players all season. Losing Mike Wallace, although i dont think hes the best WR on their team, will be a huge loss none the less.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    -JAB

Tough to predict so far out. There is upheaval in the coaching staff right now. Will Reed stay or retire? Who will be cut, who will be drafted, who will be signed, will there be significant injuries? I think based on odds alone the Ravens will not make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    maybe i miss heard but i thought they were 20-25 million over the estimated cap next year? not including resigning any of their own FAs or draft picks.

My point is if youre going to get rid of every name except harrison and woodley, why keep harrison? thats an obvious youth movement in my eyes, and even if its only one year, the chances Harrison is around and effective will be highly unlikely. save the extra 5.5 and release him, allowing you to move that dead money to next year when youll hopefully have more cap room anyway.

From the SteelersDepot:

cutting 30 million only gets them under the cap by about 10 million at the most. theres going to be major changes in Pittsburgh. theyre going to need to fill that roster with a lot of young players on the cheap, and 5.5 million could be 2-3 decent vets, as opposed to just roster filler and harrison.

Even if they keep Harrison with all the players youre suggesting, they wont be the same team weve had trouble with in years past and will be lucky to have a winning season. especially if they plan on only playing with 34 players all season. Losing Mike Wallace, although i dont think hes the best WR on their team, will be a huge loss none the less.
    They're not really getting rid of any "names". Most of the guys listed were not starters last year. Hampton and Farrior started but became part-time players. McFadden lost his starting job and finished the year at the bottom of the CB list. Battle was a special teamer. Ward was 5th string. Kemo finished as a 3rd stringer but was pressed into duty due to injuries. Smith barely played before getting injured again.

The only two positions on D where they would have new starters are NT (where McLendon played decently) and ILB (likely Stevenson Sylvester.

The O would be the same except for the line which was a patchwork last year because of injuries. At the moment the line would likely be:

Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon (who would cost more to cut than it would to have him play).

Despite all the talk of a revamp, we're only talking about 2 (and possibly 1 if Foote stays) starters changing. They save most of their money by cutting veteran backups and the rest by renegotiating 2-3 contracts. They will have to replace the cut players with rookies and cheaper vets, but it's easily doable. The team should still contend next year if it can stay healthy.

If they can't stay healthy they'll be in trouble, but you can say that about most teams.

That said, the Ravens should win the div. I still see the Steelers finished second and the Bengals 3rd.

Records are too tough to predict so I wouldn't even want to take a stab at that.

I was one of those who thought the Eagles would dominate last year and look how that worked out...

Madmikey, You can cut players, but you then have to fill those spots. That isn't free. That costs money so you really have to chop alot more than 3o million to get new players in and sign your RFA's and UFA's and 4 million for draft picks. Plus Keisel, Pouncey and Mendenhall coming off surgeries. Lot of "ifs" players off surgery you know are unknowns. As far as division Ravens look the best, but really that's just on paper-means nothing. Alot can happen. Colon who hasn't played in 2 years? Then Gilbert had shoulder surgery( usually can't weight train for a long time after that. Lots of ifs. But who knows.
    Last edited by Boulderraven; 01-26-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Madmikey, You can cut players, but you then have to fill those spots. That isn't free. That costs money so you really have to chop alot more than 3o million to get new players in and sign your RFA's and UFA's and 4 million for draft picks. Plus Keisel, Pouncey and Mendenhall coming off surgeries. Lot of "ifs" players off surgery you know are unknowns. As far as division Ravens look the best, but really that's just on paper-means nothing. Alot can happen. One thing is Colon? He is guaranteed $, but hasnt really played in 2 years. Can you count on that, 2 years if injury and non playing? I think Gilbert who did decent is also having Surgery if I'm not mistaken for a shoulder? Can't lift usually for shoulder injuries for 4-6 months.
    Depends on what kind of surgery.

Torn labarum or rotator cuff? Yea, no lifting for a while. Rehab will be a lot of resistance exercises.

A "cleanup" or even a AC Separation? He could be back in the gym in 2 months or less depending on the severity.

I do agree that the Steelers have a lot of tough decisions to make and their fans are going to have a lot of reactions like we all did when we saw Heap and Mason's name on the cut list.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Ravens 15-1 with the one loss coming to the Bengals in Baltimore.

Beat the Steelers 44-14 in Baltimore and 31-3 in Heinz Field.

Steelers finish 10-6.
    So a mediocre road team will beat the Bengals, Steelers, Chargers, Texans, and Eagles on the road, huh? This thread should have been titled "Realistic AFC North Predictions for next season".

Americanmade2012 Guest

I honestly think the steelers wont get more then 6 wins, Bengals will get ten again Ravens get 11 and Browns get 6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    They're not really getting rid of any "names". Most of the guys listed were not starters last year. Hampton and Farrior started but became part-time players. McFadden lost his starting job and finished the year at the bottom of the CB list. Battle was a special teamer. Ward was 5th string. Kemo finished as a 3rd stringer but was pressed into duty due to injuries. Smith barely played before getting injured again.

The only two positions on D where they would have new starters are NT (where McLendon played decently) and ILB (likely Stevenson Sylvester.

The O would be the same except for the line which was a patchwork last year because of injuries. At the moment the line would likely be:

Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon (who would cost more to cut than it would to have him play).

Despite all the talk of a revamp, we're only talking about 2 (and possibly 1 if Foote stays) starters changing. They save most of their money by cutting veteran backups and the rest by renegotiating 2-3 contracts. They will have to replace the cut players with rookies and cheaper vets, but it's easily doable. The team should still contend next year if it can stay healthy.

If they can't stay healthy they'll be in trouble, but you can say that about most teams.

That said, the Ravens should win the div. I still see the Steelers finished second and the Bengals 3rd.

Records are too tough to predict so I wouldn't even want to take a stab at that.

I was one of those who thought the Eagles would dominate last year and look how that worked out...
    Hampton is definitely the best player listed there, as he had a pretty good season for 13 games. Foote and smith are also good players when healthy. I dont care what you want to call it, but cutting all of your veterans is a youth movement. we did it last year on offense and it struggled for it. The Steelers will have the same growing pains. it does not bode well for them and quite frankly their record was better than they played last year. I expect a drop off. Those "veteran depth" players are who won those 2 superbowls, dont forget that. these young players havent proven anything.

Im also not so sure these restructured contracts are guaranteed to happen. Woodley just signed last year, im not sure its that great of a benefit for him to restructure at this juncture.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    -JAB

agree wi OP. Bengals are really tough to figure. I've read a lot of buzz about how Coach Marvin has 'his' players now and has built the team by his standards. we'll see how Dalton goes; will he progress, hit sophomore jinx, or be hurt again?
    can't imagine Pigsburgh wi more than 10 wins next year.
    Brownies might catch fire wi RGIII but probly not.
    have to think Ravens get another 12 wins and Division.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

madmikey - who replaced Casey Hampton? I see him as one of the most critical cogs in that defense.

I don't see why we can't go 12-4, We are very good at home and could easily go 8-0 again 6-2 at worst with the superbowl teams being the hardest. The toughest road games are @ Houston and @ Philadelphia.