Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per Mikey Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by DtotheUtotheG View Post
    Isnt Cam is one of the highest paid OCs I the league, Air Coryell is like 3 routes, a dump off or a bomb. Man I'd like to get that gig...

Also was Zorn let go because Flacco had too many voices in his head? Or that he wasn't a yes man for Cam?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Yeah, I think Cameron is going to have voices in his head.....no imagination, I just don't get it.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per The Sun

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    Exactly. The Ravens put themselves in a situation where one or two plays HAD to be made in order to win. Against that defense, they should have scored more than 2 TDs and 2 FGs. The Evans' drop should have been insignificant.
    Yes, I agree, although that defense was playing well in the front 7, and Wilfork outplayed Ngata..
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

I'll believe it when they announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Definition of insanity anyone?
    Insanity (noun)

Me after hearing that we're losing Chuck Pagano and probably keeping Cam Cameron. :grbac: :bag:

I take mild solace in the fact that Cam does not have an extension yet. That tells me Biscuit is at least considering other options. I also take comfort in that it's Preston reporting about Cam staying, therefore it must be wrong. :D

What's crazy is that Joe isn't even the problem with our offense. I guess it's fine that we'll hire a QB coach because it might help Joe progress, but even an "improved Joe" won't fix what is really wrong with the Ravens offense, which is that Cam's coordination is predictable and lacks creativity (ironically except against bad teams that don't scare him). Hiring a QB coach amounts to putting a band-aid on a person's scratched elbow while ignoring their gaping chest wound.

I see some of you saying that if Cam returns it will be a short deal where Cam has to prove he can do the job, no excuses. Well I thought that was supposed to be this year. He just had his chance to prove it, and in my view he came up short. And I don't mean because of the New England game, in fact that's probably not even in the top ten reasons to let Cam go, even though just 20 points against the 31st ranked defense gets a huge "Come on, man" from me.

Cam Cameron was good for this team in his first two years. Even now he's not terrible. We make the playoffs consistently and our offense is OK. But it could be better. Cam is now the ceiling we will bump our heads against as long as he remains. There will be no Ravens Super Bowl with Cam Cameron. There will be a lot of near misses instead. We'll come really close, and fall just short every time.

There are only two reasons to keep Cam Cam and one of them is really scary. First, if there is no viable candidate to replace Cam, then obviously he should stay. Unfortunately that could well be the case. The second reason is what chills me: the possibility that Cam is acting exactly how John Harbaugh wants him to, that all the lame fetal-position offensive strategy is coming straight from Harbaugh at least in the big picture. Because if that's true we're in trouble.

I agree with Wicked that if we're stuck with Cam, then at least give us a new WR and OL coach (and a QB coach wouldn't hurt).

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Tom Brady by the way had 1 more sack than Flacco this year.
    ... but he also had 70 more pass attempts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why is Moeller still here? Does he get to stay too and get another assistant to help him?

Tom Brady by the way had 1 more sack than Flacco this year.
    If they only make 1 change in the offensive coaching staff I hope it's Andy Moeller.

Tom Brady also passed the ball 611 times this season, an average of 38 passes per game, which averages out to about 1 sack every 19 pass attempts.

Joe Flacco passed the ball 542 times this season, an average of 33 times per game, which averages out to about 1 sack every 17 pass attempts.

Pretty similar in reality, but Brady still passed the ball almost 100 more times than Flacco.

You could also argue that Brady isn't as elusive as Flacco is in the pocket. There were several times where Flacco should have been sacked, but was able to escape.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Now Florio has picked up this Preston story. He also mentions the heat between Harbaugh and Pagano in the Texans game. I wish I knew who Preston's 'source' is. It's probably the man in the mirror since it's obvious the team can't stand him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ore-after-all/

The contract for Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is up, and there has been a widespread expectation that he won’t be brought back in Baltimore.

Florio heard via a league source that no decision had been made as of Tuesday night. While the Baltimore Sun thought Cameron was in trouble Wednesday, the tune has changed in Thursday’s paper.

Cameron reportedly called his offensive assistants Wednesday and gave them instructions for the next couple of weeks, which is a sign that Cameron will be back. Mike Preston has a source that believes Cameron will return, with the stipulation that the team hire a quarterbacks coach.

We think the predictability of the Ravens offense and Joe Flacco’s lack of development in 2011 are big marks against Cameron. But coach John Harbaugh has a good relationship with Cameron.

The same source told Preston that Harbaugh’s relationship with defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano was somewhat strained after Pagano got into a heated argument with Harbaugh late in Baltimore’s win over the Texans.

“That would have been interesting to see how things would have worked out if Chuck didn’t get the job in Indianapolis,” said the source. “Their exchange was very heated.”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Ok captain smart ass. The Ravens would have never had to rely on a last minute Evans pass or FG if they could actually capitalize on golden opportunities to score in the redzone. Think back to the fumbled kickoff return by the Pats. The Ravens could only muster a FG instead of punching it in for 7. An additional 4 points would have been huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    They've been a "dropped" pass away from the Superbowl for a couple of years now. Its not a question of how close you get before you fail. Its a question of how much potential Joe has.

Whenever Cam digs us into a hole by running Ray Rice into the line on first and second down - and putting Joe into untenable third down passing situations, what usually happens? They put Joe into the shotgun and a hurry up offense and he typically moves us down the field. You might ask yourself why does that happen. The answer is that Joe's natural game is from the shotgun.He can be great if they ever learn how to use him.

If they ever decide that maybe Joe should be the next Joe Montana instead of the next Trent Dilfer they could walk to the Superbowl blowing past their competition with ease. This is the primary reason I want Cam gone.

But if the Ravens retain Cam for 2012 they will be a 9W-7L team and they will not make the playoffs.

I have faith that Biscotti wants the Ravens to be great - not just close!
    You guys do know that the other team tries to win football games too, right? And they get paid fairly good money to do it?

The idea that CC is holding the Ravens back from walzting into the Superbowl every year is farcical. If those are your expectations you're going to be sadly disappointed, year after year.

Furthermore, the idea that the Ravens WILL NOT make the playoffs next year, solely because they retained CC, is beyond farcical. It's idiotic. They've made it FOUR years in a row w him- maybe they'll sneak in again.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but 3 things seem clearly to be true.

1. Teams with good offenses have receivers more open than the Ravens' receivers, and those receivers on those good offenses are not all better than the Ravens' receivers. This is often a matter of play design, not just talent.

2. Even fans watching on TV have a pretty good idea what plays the Ravens are going to run, based on down, distance and formation. If fans do, NFL coaches and players, who spend their entire week studying their opponent, do.

3. In contrast to GB, NO, NE, and even Pgh, and others, the offense the Ravens are running was designed long before the rule changes that have made it much more difficult to defend the pass, and fails to adequately take advantage of those rule changes. The NFL WANTS RECEIVERS OPEN AND PASSES COMPLETED. It has made and enforced rule changes to ensure that very thing.

Unless a new OC is hired, 1 and 2 are not likely to change.

Isnt Cam is one of the highest paid OCs I the league, Air Coryell is like 3 routes, a dump off or a bomb. Man I'd like to get that gig...
    The Chargers also run an "Air Coryell" offense, as I understand it, but somehow theirs looks, erm, more sophisticated? Different.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Also was Zorn let go because Flacco had too many voices in his head? Or that he wasn't a yes man for Cam?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    educate yourself on Air Coryell and you may be surprised

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If this report turns out being true, my guess is they've looked around at possible OC replacements and didn't see one they (Harbaugh, Ozzie, DeCosta, Bisciotti) felt comfortable enough with and felt it was best to stick with Cam.

Certainly, a lot of the names being thrown around - Childress, Hue - didn't do much for me, but I was hoping for some other name to come up.

Regardless, I just can't get Greg Cosell's characterization of Cam's "1960's" offense out of my head. Ugh.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap