Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per The Sun

Interesting logic some people follow here.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Dannell Ellerbe as a quasi-starting linebacker. Therefore Dannell Ellerbe must be a good linebacker. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Billy Cundiff as our kicker. Therefore Billy Cundiff must be a good kicker. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…David Reed as our kick returner. Therefore David Reed must be a good kick returner. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…a WR coach Jim Hostler who apparently does not believe in telling his receivers to come back to the QB after a play breaks down. Therefore Jim Hostler must be a good WR coach. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator. Therefore Cam Cameron must be…

See where this kind of thinking goes wrong?

I don't mean "it's all Cam's fault". Obviously it's more complicated than that, and Cam has done many good things here as well as bad. But simply because a person is part of a team that was "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" it's not automatic that the person is the best we can get for the job, unless you believe that the Baltimore Ravens are a perfect team and no improvement is possible.

Now, maybe there isn't any viable candidate out there who is a clear improvement over Cam Cam. If so, I guess we're stuck with him. But I sure hope the Biscuit is out there seriously looking for a replacement.

2. Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per The Sun

test

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If its not the OL, its the wr, or the QB or whatever. Good coaches find ways to overcome. Tell me that our offensive line this year, isn't better than the patch work lines that the Steelers have had the last two times they went to the Superbowl. They still found a way to make it work. Why can't the Ravens? Cameron tries to cram his players into his style instead of adapting that style to fit his players strengths.

We have to have all pro's at every position to make Cam's offense work. It's just not possible. Time to find someone more flexible.
    I get your point, but the Steelers OL is the worst comparison you could make...they made it work because they have the biggest, strongest QB in the league who shrugs off and shakes off allth ose pass rushers...if they didn't have Ben, they'd be a perrenial 9-7 team.

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Dannell Ellerbe as a quasi-starting linebacker. Therefore Dannell Ellerbe must be a good linebacker. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Billy Cundiff as our kicker. Therefore Billy Cundiff must be a good kicker. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…David Reed as our kick returner. Therefore David Reed must be a good kick returner. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…a WR coach Jim Hostler who apparently does not believe in telling his receivers to come back to the QB after a play breaks down. Therefore Jim Hostler must be a good WR coach. Don't change anything.

We were "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" with…Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator. Therefore Cam Cameron must be…

I don't mean "it's all Cam's fault". Obviously it's more complicated than that, and Cam has done many good things here as well as bad. But simply because a person is part of a team that was "one dropped pass from the Super Bowl" it's not automatic that the person is the best we can get for the job, unless you believe that the Baltimore Ravens are a perfect team and no improvement is possible.

Now, maybe there isn't any viable candidate out there who is a clear improvement over Cam Cam. If so, I guess we're stuck with him. But I sure hope the Biscuit is out there seriously looking for a replacement.
    All those examples have absolutely nothing to do with Cam or the "dropped pass from the Super Bowl" statement.

Cam's job is to design plays that will help this team win and call them at the right times.

When a guy is open and drops a pass, Cam did his job...he called a play, the guy was open, and it was executed fine until the drops.

What the hell does Ellerbe (who's only job is to tackle people), Cundiff (who's only job is to kick), David Reed (who's job to this point has entailed making sure he comes to his rehab appointments) or even Hostler (who's big part of his job really ends during gameday) have to do with calling an offensive play and putting his offensive players in position to win?

Cam Cameron, not any of those other guys mentioned, called the plays that worked, only to have WR's fail to finish the play. That is a fact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post

Why does his replacement have to be a proven commodity? Why cant they take a risk and get someone who isn't currently an OC, and promote him? I hear good things about Lombardi from the Saints. Good coordinators didn't start out as coordinators. Somebody had to take a chance on them. My gut is they are having trouble finding someone Johhny Boy is "comfortable" with. Someone with a real football mind probably threatens him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If its not the OL, its the wr, or the QB or whatever. Good coaches find ways to overcome. Tell me that our offensive line this year, isn't better than the patch work lines that the Steelers have had the last two times they went to the Superbowl. They still found a way to make it work. Why can't the Ravens? Cameron tries to cram his players into his style instead of adapting that style to fit his players strengths.

We have to have all pro's at every position to make Cam's offense work. It's just not possible. Time to find someone more flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyite32
    The problem is that Cam never adjusted to reduce the impact of a weak OL, he kept running the long time consuming routes. No slants/ not quick blitz busting throws in the middle...
    I'm certainly not arguing that fellas and I completely agree. You can compensate for a weaker OL.

To me, if they're going to keep Cam for another year - which it looks like may happen - then they HAVE to get the OL to where they can sustain blocks and pick up blitzes well enough to actually give Flacco the time needed, otherwise it's going to be another year of the same. Thank God Flacco is tough as nails because that dude takes way too many shots.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.