Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per The Sun

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The Broncos I'll give you.

The 49ers aren't an AFC team, and they do have a weapon that far outshines any of ours: V Davis.

And don't forget Crabtree either.

The Bengals I'd take over ours fairly comfortably. Gresham, Simpson, Green.

We don't have a wealth of talent in the recieving department, and even what we do have, outside of Boldin, is incredibly young and inexperienced.
    Sorry I miss read your post, didn't see you only said AFC teams.

And one player doesn't make your whole entire receiving corps great. Although like I said, we probably do need to add another WR, maybe there could be good value in the second round, lets see...

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per Mikey Donuts

I put no stock in anything Mike Preston has to say. I'll believe it when I read it from a more reliable source. If true though, I feel like it's a double edged sword.... it would take a losing season with a poor offensive performance for them to get rid of Cam apparently. As long as we have winning seasons, Cam's job is secure. So unless we can hope for a losing season (which we cannot do), we're stuck with the schmuck.

Eeking a win by the skin of our teeth is not the way we want to win games but Cam has a knack for pulling back on the throttle when we have a lead which has been one source of frustration for Ravens fans. Another frustration is the way we play up or down to the level of our competition...this bit us big time this year with our losses to the Jags and Seahawks (and almost the Cardinals). Three things I want to see out of Cam: 1) get more creative in his gameplans no matter who our opponent is, 2) make in-game adjustments as needed; 3) don't let off the gas pedal when we get a lead.

The thought of Cam staying is depressing though. I thought we would have Pagano here and Cam gone, not the other way around.

Flipside:

a.) Well, we have reached the playoffs 4 years and won a game in each. The D in all of those 4 years has not been a 2006, let alone a 2000. So, it can't be that terrible (despite the obvious frustrations)

b.) We may actually have speed on the outside to run an Air Coryell. Even this year, we've had a rookie with no TC and Lee Evans who was out most of the year. Another target, preferably someone above 6'4" would be ideal. Before that, we've had the personnel to run a WCO far better than the AC.

c.) Joe's entering his fifth year. It's also up to him to mould the O as he sees fit just as much as the O-coordinator. That's what the best QBs do.

d.) The O would look a lot better if the targets we do have can actually catch the damn ball on a more regular basis. If Hostler ends up going to Miami or so, that may help.

e.) The main concern is really the O-line. Yes, the playcalling doesn't help at times - sometimes, the total opposite. However, with a full offseason, it's not up to Cam to fix that - that's Ozzie's job (with the OL coach to make it better. A new one of those would help).

An improved O-line and one more target would give Cam all he needs. If he then screws up, then it's going to be on his shoulders.

Gotta be positive.

And hey, we may need a QB coach and Peyton could end up retiring due to injury. What a peculiar event that would be, Manning as Flacco's QB coach (not that it would happen).
    Last edited by Tyrian; 01-26-2012 at 12:02 PM.

When the game against the Patriots started I asked my wife what the first Ravens play would be. She said that she thought it would be a Ray Rice run pretty much straight ahead. I don't think anyone needs to say another word about the Ravens offense under Cam.

Isn't it funny how they moved up and down the field in the last three quarters of the game - when they decided to use Joe the way he should be used - IN A PASSING OFFENSE STUPID (directed at Cam Cameron of course)!

The Ravens next year with Cam as OC - 9 wins - 7 losses - NO PLAYOFFS.

If Cam is still OC don't be surprised if Joe does not sign a contract extension - in order to force the team's hand at the end of the 2012 season.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You'd take Boldin and Torrey over AJ Green and Jerome Simpson? Andre Johnson?

Dude...drugs are bad for you.
    I thought Jerome Simpson was on drugs or at least selling them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKrazy View Post
    Something like that, but the drugs Simpson uses give him the ability to flip over defenders for TD's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I don't agree with this at all. Name me one team w a "high-flying" offense that doesn't have better recievers than the Ravens. We had Anquan Boldin, a rookie, and nothing else for most of the year. That isn't a good set of recievers. I'm sorry. That said, I think it's something that could be diversified. And that is something that doesn't neccesarily take the firing of CC to happen.

Again, this to me is a message board meme. Plenty of teams, even right now, in the NFL run a variation of our offense and are highly prolific.

The idea that the offense that CC runs here is inherently outdated is false.

1..I don't doubt that there is some validity to what you say. But sometimes, not always, the development of WR's is in part due to the system. What I'm getting at is that for years we have heard that the Ravens' WR's 'can't get separation.' They don't get the kind of separation that the WR's on the potent passing offenses do, and it's fair to question how much of that is the design and how much is the lack of talent. Mark Clayton 'couldn't get separation' here under Cam or Billick but when he went to STL all of sudden he could. It is a combination of talent and design.

2. This is not a one year issue. It's at least a 4 year issue.

3. That's the question. The need for some change and diversification was apparent going into this year and it didn't happen. It is fair to question whether Cam can or will diversify.

4. Just look at the formations run by NO, NE, GB, then look at Cam's. The same formations over and over again are easier to defend, and the likelihood of defensive mistakes is lessened. One of the reasons for NO's success is that the multiple formations used put a lot of pressure on the defense and coverage errors result. Yes, they have some great receivers. The question is would they be that good in Cam's offense, and would the Ravens' WR's and passing game be more productive with someone else.

Sorry, haven't figured out how to break up the quotes. HJ
    Last edited by Honest John; 01-26-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: don't know how to use quotes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKrazy View Post
    He just got indicted on some drug charges which could potentially equal 1-5 years in jail.

Blog Entries

I agree the O-line is the point of greatest concern on the O side of the ball.

What worries me, is I just don't see how they manage to upgrade it much w what else we need to do this offseason, and what we have to accomplish it.
    I agree and I think there are going to be some more players hitting the road than we as fans thing.

I don't see them re-signing Grubbs, although they'll try.

Foxworth, Carr, BA, McClain, Evans, JJ, Redding, McKinney, Kris Wilson, etc...

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they figured out ways to can every single one of those guys. They're going to need cap space for their rookies and I'd expect them to really look hard in free agency for a key piece or two just like last year with Leach and Pollard.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    When the game against the Patriots started I asked my wife what the first Ravens play would be. She said that she thought it would be a Ray Rice run pretty much straight ahead. I don't think anyone needs to say another word about the Ravens offense under Cam.
    So true...

I think we will continue to make the playoffs though. Cam hasn't stopped us from getting that far. What he'll do is hold us back from getting to the top of the mountain. He'll be just conservative enough, just predictable enough, get just a little too little out of his receivers... enough... to fall short again and again.

He's too good to fire in a heartbeat, but not good enough to get us where we want to go.

2011: "Cam failed again but we'll keep him because there's a lockout and we need continuity. But this year Cam must prove he can do the job. No excuses."

2012: "Cam failed again but we lost Pagano and we need continuity. But this year Cam must prove he can do the job. No excuses!"

2013: "Cam failed again but we couldn't find any exciting names to replace him with. But this year Cam must prove he can do the job. No excuses!!!"

2014: "Cam failed again but we've been to the playoffs seven times in a row so we can't fire him. But this year Cam MUST prove he can do the job. No excuses!!!!!"

2015: "Cam failed again but it's because Anquan Boldin is old and should retire. But this year Cam MUST prove he can do the job. No excuses!!!!!"

2016: "Cam failed again but it's because LeMarcus Whoozat was a pretty bad left guard for us. But this year Cam *MUST* prove he can do the job. No excuses!!!!!"

2047: "Cam failed again but it's because he's old and senile. Give the guy a break he's about ninety years old. Too bad we haven't won a Super Bowl since 2000. I wonder why?"

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ugh.

Definition of insanity anyone?

Discuss ...
    Someone must take Brick's avatar and put a Raven in it.

Or will this QB coach be devising schemes and calling plays instead of Cam?
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

I know. The Ravens are SO fucking insane for wanting to repeat as much as possible that saw them a dropped pass, and shanked field goal, away from going to the Superbowl.

Wholesale changes are neccessary after such a pathetic year!!!!!
    Why do you think it even came down to that? 20pts on the worst D in the league.