Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per Mikey Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    The Chargers also run an "Air Coryell" offense, as I understand it, but somehow theirs looks, erm, more sophisticated? Different.
    The Chargers have V Jackson, Antonio Gates, and Floyd. The Chargers are certainly top 5 in receiving corps. We have a decent receiving corps with great potential in our tight ends and Torrey Smith, but they are still missing one or two pieces.

Blog Entries

Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per The Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Honest John View Post
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but 3 things seem clearly to be true.

1. Teams with good offenses have receivers more open than the Ravens' receivers, and those receivers on those good offenses are not all better than the Ravens' receivers. This is often a matter of play design, not just talent
    I don't agree with this at all. Name me one team w a "high-flying" offense that doesn't have better recievers than the Ravens.

Hell, name me one team that made the playoffs in the AFC that doesn't have better recievers than the Ravens.

We had Anquan Boldin, a rookie, and nothing else for most of the year. That isn't a good set of recievers. I'm sorry.

2. Even fans watching on TV have a pretty good idea what plays the Ravens are going to run, based on down, distance and formation. If fans do, NFL coaches and players, who spend their entire week studying their opponent, do.
    Eh. I don't know about this. I mean, when I watch other NFL teams and it's 3-5 I know they're going to pass the ball. I don't think this offense is quite as predictable as some would have you believe.

That said, I think it's something that could be diversified. And that is something that doesn't neccesarily take the firing of CC to happen.

3. In contrast to GB, NO, NE, and even Pgh, and others, the offense the Ravens are running was designed long before the rule changes that have made it much more difficult to defend the pass, and fails to adequately take advantage of those rule changes. The NFL WANTS RECEIVERS OPEN AND PASSES COMPLETED. It has made and enforced rule changes to ensure that very thing.
    Again, this to me is a message board meme. Plenty of teams, even right now, in the NFL run a variation of our offense and are highly prolific.

The idea that the offense that CC runs here is inherently outdated is false.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    If this report turns out being true, my guess is they've looked around at possible OC replacements and didn't see one they (Harbaugh, Ozzie, DeCosta, Bisciotti) felt comfortable enough with and felt it was best to stick with Cam.

Certainly, a lot of the names being thrown around - Childress, Hue - didn't do much for me, but I was hoping for some other name to come up.

Regardless, I just can't get Greg Cosell's characterization of Cam's "1960's" offense out of my head. Ugh.
    You may be right, Ravor. Maybe they need to look a little harder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Chargers have V Jackson, Antonio Gates, and Floyd. The Chargers are certainly top 5 in receiving corps. We have a decent receiving corps with great potential in our tight ends and Torrey Smith, but they are still missing one or two pieces.
    Floyd may be taller than any of the receiver in Baltimore, but I certainly wouldn't ever use the word better to compare him to Baltimore's receivers.

VJAX, yes, Gates, yes although Gates showed signs of wear and tear this season and he looked a lot slower than he has in the past. Gates may not be physically able to be the same player that he was in the past anymore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    If this report turns out being true, my guess is they've looked around at possible OC replacements and didn't see one they (Harbaugh, Ozzie, DeCosta, Bisciotti) felt comfortable enough with and felt it was best to stick with Cam.

Certainly, a lot of the names being thrown around - Childress, Hue - didn't do much for me, but I was hoping for some other name to come up.

Regardless, I just can't get Greg Cosell's characterization of Cam's "1960's" offense out of my head. Ugh.
    Pretty much my thoughts on the situation as well.

I actually think there was probably a lot of truth to the Norv Turner rumor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. Name me one team w a "high-flying" offense that doesn't have better recievers than the Ravens.

Hell, name me one team that made the playoffs in the AFC that doesn't have better recievers than the Ravens.

We had Anquan Boldin, a rookie, and nothing else for most of the year. That isn't a good set of recievers. I'm sorry.

Eh. I don't know about this. I mean, when I watch other NFL teams and it's 3-5 I know they're going to pass the ball. I don't think this offense is quite as predictable as some would have you believe.

That said, I think it's something that could be diversified. And that is something that doesn't neccesarily take the firing of CC to happen.

Again, this to me is a message board meme. Plenty of teams, even right now, in the NFL run a variation of our offense and are highly prolific.

The idea that the offense that CC runs here is inherently outdated is false.
    I would take our receivers over the Broncos, the 49ers, and the Bengals any day. Arguably we have better all around receiving corps than the Texans, since all the Texans have is Andre Johnson and no one else really.

Blog Entries

I'm not taking a shot on you but there is some funny shit going on in regards to the evaluation of Cam.

Some people say we have such talent at the WR position that we aren't getting enough out of it.

And then turn around and say, his offense is only successful w elite talent at the skill positions.

So which is it? Is he underutilizing his talent? Or does he need more to be successful?

Blog Entries

I would take our receivers over the Broncos, the 49ers, and the Bengals any day. Arguably we have better all around receiving corps than the Texans, since all the Texans have is Andre Johnson and no one else really.
    You'd take Boldin and Torrey over AJ Green and Jerome Simpson? Andre Johnson?

Dude...drugs are bad for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I'm not taking a shot on you but there is some funny shit going on in regards to the evaluation of Cam.

Some people say we have such talent at the WR position that we aren't getting enough out of it.

And then turn around and say, his offense is only successful w elite talent at the skill positions.

So which is it? Is he underutilizing his talent? Or does he need more to be successful?
    Both.

In all seriousness, the Ravens do need to get better at the receiver position.

It's still not going to matter much until they figure out how the hell to make their OL better. The OL play this season was gross.

Blog Entries

The Broncos I'll give you.

The 49ers aren't an AFC team, and they do have a weapon that far outshines any of ours: V Davis.

And don't forget Crabtree either.

The Bengals I'd take over ours fairly comfortably. Gresham, Simpson, Green.

We don't have a wealth of talent in the recieving department, and even what we do have, outside of Boldin, is incredibly young and inexperienced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Both.

In all seriousness, the Ravens do need to get better at the receiver position.

It's still not going to matter much until they figure out how the hell to make their OL better. The OL play this season was gross.
    I agree the O-line is the point of greatest concern on the O side of the ball.

What worries me, is I just don't see how they manage to upgrade it much w what else we need to do this offseason, and what we have to accomplish it.

12. Re: Cam is Staying but Must Hire a QB Coach, per Mikey Donuts

If Cam stays, it's going to be hard to expect much from the offense next year no matter who we bring in. Guy just sucks, plain and simple, time for change on offense. We need identity, we need culture, attitude. What we don't need is Cam Cameron as OC.