Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    True and I think you can take Philly off as they never have and never will value the LB position. Look for them to take another offensive lineman.

As for Hightower, no way he runs a 4.6 or lower.

He likely will run around a 4.8 or high 4.7.
    I honestly think hightower could pull off a 4.6 lol.

He isn't an athletic slouch, for some reason people have the notion that he's stiff. He can run man. I'm gonna enjoy the combine, so many players i'm curious to see what they run.

Alshon Jeffery, if he runs a sub 4.5.... Wow that clinches a top 20 pick. I mean the dude's 230 pounds, and 6'4.

Micheal Floyd-Another guy who's 40 time will be interesting to watch.

Ofcourse Burfict/Hightower
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

2. Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I think Ozzie looks to trade down this year. I could see him moving back into the mid 30s , and targeting one of the ILBs or Cs who slips a bit, and taking the extra pick. Fact is, our biggest needs are ILB, S, C imo. Those are three positions that are often underrated in the draft because they aren't "sexy."

It's still BPA of course but I think he looks to move down ala 2010.
    Ozzie's never really followed a pure BPA. He's always had an element of Need in his picks. It could be BPA, but it's a position that we could have a need at in a year or two. Like how he drafted Ray Rice, pretty sure he knew he wasn't gonna keep Willis around with that big contract.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Could you, or could you not, say the exact same thing heading into their respective drafts about Jimmy Smith, and to a lesser extend (and different reasons) Michael Oher?

It's very possible he's there at 29 and Ozzie feels comfortable taking him there. I would not dismiss it at all.
    Jimmy Smith had problems as a freshman. He proved over many years without issues that those weren't problems.

The issue with Oher was his height and his short arms. A lot of scouts felt he was a Guard in the NFL and not a Tackle.

Neither was considered to be the best prospect in years at their position like I keep hearing about Burfict. If Burfict is that great he's going top 10 and will be the first player at his position taken. If he isn't then it's because teams are worried about his maturity.

I'm trying to argue for or against taking him. What I am trying to argue is that at this point I don't see him ending up on the Ravens.

I could run a 4.6 at 240 in HS. I think Hightower can. Dude is cut up. Burfict is very explosive though. It is going to come down to the mental part of the game, they are both fantastic athletes. Burfict has quickness, but Hightower is massive. I like them both, but trust the ravens scouts to properly rank them based on the stuff that does not always show up on tape. Hightower does sound like a very bright guy in the interviews I saw.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Jimmy Smith had problems as a freshman. He proved over many years without issues that those weren't problems.

The issue with Oher was his height and his short arms. A lot of scouts felt he was a Guard in the NFL and not a Tackle.

Neither was considered to be the best prospect in years at their position like I keep hearing about Burfict. If Burfict is that great he's going top 10 and will be the first player at his position taken. If he isn't then it's because teams are worried about his maturity.

I'm trying to argue for or against taking him. What I am trying to argue is that at this point I don't see him ending up on the Ravens.

I'm not saying the questions surrounding them are the same, for Smith it was off the field issues, and for Oher it was alot more about his intellectual abilities than his short arms, but they both fell to the Ravens for reasons that didn't have to do w their talent. And Ozzie wasn't scared to pull the trigger when they did. The same thing could happen w Burfict. Not saying it will or won't, and not saying we should or should not draft him, but saying we shouldn't draft him if he does fall is wrong imo. You seem to me to be saying if he does fall then it's because teams are worried about his maturity and therefore, we shouldn't take him. I don't agree w that. If he does fall that doesn't mean shit to me. Virtually every year we get talent that shouldn't have been available to us if other teams were better at drafting, so if it's a move Ozzie feels comfortable with, then I have no issue with it. I'll take his track record over the 28 teams drafting in front of us by and large.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Ozzie's never really followed a pure BPA. He's always had an element of Need in his picks. It could be BPA, but it's a position that we could have a need at in a year or two. Like how he drafted Ray Rice, pretty sure he knew he wasn't gonna keep Willis around with that big contract.
    It's no secret when they make their board up, talent and need both play a part in the rankings.

So maybe BPA isn't technically correct. How about, stay true to the board? That may sum it up better.

7. Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Vontaze is a thug, too many penalties. Speaking of sun devils, suggs is the man! Bleacher report had a funny take on his feud with skip bayless, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ed-raven-12412

Blog Entries

Vontaze Burfict is a thug, huh?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I could run a 4.6 at 240 in HS. I think Hightower can. Dude is cut up. Burfict is very explosive though. It is going to come down to the mental part of the game, they are both fantastic athletes. Burfict has quickness, but Hightower is massive. I like them both, but trust the ravens scouts to properly rank them based on the stuff that does not always show up on tape. Hightower does sound like a very bright guy in the interviews I saw.
    Gotta call BS on your 4.6 at 240lbs. If you could do that you were a freak athlete. Last year at the combine on 3 LBs ran faster than a 4.6. Only about 15 over the last 5 years. Most of the guys were outside LBs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Gotta call BS on your 4.6 at 240lbs. If you could do that you were a freak athlete. Last year at the combine on 3 LBs ran faster than a 4.6. Only about 15 over the last 5 years. Most of the guys were outside LBs.
    Just because you can sprint doesn't make you a freak athlete.

My junior year in college I played SS/OLB and was 225lbs and ran a consistent 4.6...

You can be taught how to run a better 40 yard dash just by changing up your "launch". That is one of the quickest and easiest ways to shave time off your 40. I played with a guy who was 6'5" and 270lbs and he ran in the mid 4.5's after working with a sprint coach. That said, his lateral quickness was garbage, he couldn't tackle to save his life, but he could sprint and jump.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

15 tackles last night..not bad

Quote Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
    15 tackles last night..not bad
    Yep. On a defense that gave up 167 yards on the ground spending 37 mins on the field. Sure.