Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duffybr View Post
    You guys think we need a LB after watching the OL performance for the past 2 weeks?
    I don't think it's an either or question. In the first and second rounds I expect the team to draft ILB/OL according to the best player available mantra. This might mean ILB first and OL second or it might be the other way around. OL, DL, LB, RB, and WR are going to be the the positions we pursue through the draft.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.826579,-117.205348

Blog Entries

Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    We don't need another pass rusher since Kruger's emergence, we need an ILB which has been ignored too long with these UDFA types like McClain, Ellerbe.
    This team absolutely needs another pass rusher.

The Packers got to the SB last year because they had a vicious pass rush with Clay Matthews and Cullen Jenkins. They let Jenkins go and Matthews became the only pass rusher. Their defense suffered for it.

The Ravens have got to find someone who can rush the passer besides Suggs. Kruger has done a good job and maybe he can handle it, but he's still somewhat of a liability against the run and who knows how effective he'd be as an every down OLB. Kindle couldn't even make it onto the field this season. Who knows with him, though I am hopeful because the talent is there for Kindle.

The Ravens need to find a DT who can rush the passer and collapse the pocket from the inside like Redding did the 1st half of the season. Redding was a BIG reason for the defensive success this season and when he tapered off towards the end of the year, so did McPhee, so did Ngata, and so did Suggs. The problem is outside of Ngata and Suggs, no one on the DL really scares anyone. Get another guy that can rush the passer with a force and you'd see a major improvement from Suggs and Ngata.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This post is very misleading.

Last year people were touting Burfict as the best MLB prospect since Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis. He didn't have any issues last season.

This season the coaching staff was in upheaval and there were other guys who had issues far worse than Burfict. For example, I believe their starting DE this year has been dismissed from the program for failure to follow team rules for a 3rd or 4th time.

Burfict is super aggressive and after committing a personal foul on a player the coaching staff pulled him off the field for the rest of the game. IIRC, ASU could have potentially won that game and why pull one of your best players over a penalty? The point is there was friction there prior to this season and realistically it was only this season that Burfict had troubles.

Nutcase? No. I don't see that. I see a kid who basically just lost respect for his coaching staff and copped an attitude towards them. However, Dennis Erickson let it happen. He definitely didn't handle that situation correctly, IMO.

Then, I think you have to consider the locker room presence here in Baltimore and how that impacts Burfict. How does playing beside Ray Lewis and having guys like Lewis and Suggs (also went to ASU) in his ear about staying in control of your emotions and letting your play do the talking? Those are legit questions that need to be asked because Burfict is the best MLB prospect in this draft until you factor in him telling his coaches at ASU to fuck off. He's 6'3" 250lbs, can run with anyone, hits like Mack truck, causes fumbles, tackles well, and rushes the passer extremely well. Had he come out last year, he would have been a top 20 pick easily.

I think this could be a good opportunity for the Ravens to snatch up a guy with incredible upside and talent and let coaches like Harbs and Pagano school him on how to be a professional.

We're not talking about a kid who has been arrested multiple times for rape, drugs, theft, DUI's or anything like that. We're not talking about a kid who was failing classes left and right and violating team rules for meetings and whatnot. We're talking about a kid who needs to be taught how to harness his aggressiveness and temper his attitude. He needs to be humbled and he needs a mentor.
    Totally agree. Thinking about Burfict in purple and black is one of the only things that has gotten a smile to crack my face today.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.826617,-117.205422

Ellerbe was so noticeably bad yesterday ILB is def a need, I would say hightower. but best player available. Also we gotta kick up our run game and protection. our line is collapsing the middle and they get no push. Ray runs up the gut every play and if he isn't going to follow leach we need someone in the center that can hold up. i would honustly out oher back on the left with reid in at right if we dont pick up some stud LT somewhere else.

Blog Entries

This post is very misleading.

Last year people were touting Burfict as the best MLB prospect since Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis. He didn't have any issues last season.

This season the coaching staff was in upheaval and there were other guys who had issues far worse than Burfict. For example, I believe their starting DE this year has been dismissed from the program for failure to follow team rules for a 3rd or 4th time.

Burfict is super aggressive and after committing a personal foul on a player the coaching staff pulled him off the field for the rest of the game. IIRC, ASU could have potentially won that game and why pull one of your best players over a penalty? The point is there was friction there prior to this season and realistically it was only this season that Burfict had troubles.

Nutcase? No. I don't see that. I see a kid who basically just lost respect for his coaching staff and copped an attitude towards them. However, Dennis Erickson let it happen. He definitely didn't handle that situation correctly, IMO.

Then, I think you have to consider the locker room presence here in Baltimore and how that impacts Burfict. How does playing beside Ray Lewis and having guys like Lewis and Suggs (also went to ASU) in his ear about staying in control of your emotions and letting your play do the talking? Those are legit questions that need to be asked because Burfict is the best MLB prospect in this draft until you factor in him telling his coaches at ASU to fuck off. He's 6'3" 250lbs, can run with anyone, hits like Mack truck, causes fumbles, tackles well, and rushes the passer extremely well. Had he come out last year, he would have been a top 20 pick easily.

I think this could be a good opportunity for the Ravens to snatch up a guy with incredible upside and talent and let coaches like Harbs and Pagano school him on how to be a professional.

We're not talking about a kid who has been arrested multiple times for rape, drugs, theft, DUI's or anything like that. We're not talking about a kid who was failing classes left and right and violating team rules for meetings and whatnot. We're talking about a kid who needs to be taught how to harness his aggressiveness and temper his attitude. He needs to be humbled and he needs a mentor.
    Whats misleading? The guy has committed numerous personal fouls, doesnt respect his coaches, and has a history of taking cheap shots. Those have all been shown on the field. nothing i said hasnt been said before and i didnt claim that he had any legal issues. in his case its solely on the field. I dont care if he does or doesnt like his coach, but he needs to listen to him. including when his coach asks him to come off the field instead of completely ignoring him. You want a guy that if he feels upset with the coaching staff thinks he can just ignore them? sorry but thats not a Raven. I think hes a special talent (his closing speed may be the best ive seen), and just may be a great player (if hes under control and learns to not tackle leading with his head) but i dont see the risk worthy in the first round, personally. I think youre going to have a guy that extends drives with dumb non disciplined plays. Our locker room could help him, but if he doesnt listen to coaches it certainly wont. Jimmy coming out had every bit of a first round grade, there were just questions about his character. Burfict has no character issues but certainly has issues with the way he plays. A lot of the Mock Drafts Ive seen dont even have him being drafted in the first round for this very reason. I wouldnt be completely upset if we drafted him, but id prefer using a 2nd on him than our first. If Ozzie says hes the pick than ill expect theyve done their research but from what little ive seen theres red flags around this kid and im not the first to have said/seen it.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Whats misleading? The guy has committed numerous personal fouls, doesnt respect his coaches, and has a history of taking cheap shots. Those have all been shown on the field. nothing i said hasnt been said before and i didnt claim that he had any legal issues. in his case its solely on the field. I dont care if he does or doesnt like his coach, but he needs to listen to him. including when his coach asks him to come off the field instead of completely ignoring him. You want a guy that if he feels upset with the coaching staff thinks he can just ignore them? sorry but thats not a Raven. I think hes a special talent (his closing speed may be the best ive seen), and just may be a great player (if hes under control and learns to not tackle leading with his head) but i dont see the risk worthy in the first round, personally. I think youre going to have a guy that extends drives with dumb non disciplined plays. Our locker room could help him, but if he doesnt listen to coaches it certainly wont. Jimmy coming out had every bit of a first round grade, there were just questions about his character. Burfict has no character issues but certainly has issues with the way he plays. A lot of the Mock Drafts Ive seen dont even have him being drafted in the first round for this very reason. I wouldnt be completely upset if we drafted him, but id prefer using a 2nd on him than our first. If Ozzie says hes the pick than ill expect theyve done their research but from what little ive seen theres red flags around this kid and im not the first to have said/seen it.
    It was misleading because your post does not include the simple fact that these problems surfaced THIS season...it's not like they were issues last year or the year before.

Blog Entries

I think you're right. This is going to be a case of the interview carrying a lot of weight. If the Ravens get a bad vibe when they speak to him they're going to take him off their board. The issues that Jimmy Smith had were all years ago. He had multiple seasons of showing that was in his past and he really changed. That's not the case with Burfict. He's very immature and throwing 1st round money at him won't help that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think you're right. This is going to be a case of the interview carrying a lot of weight. If the Ravens get a bad vibe when they speak to him they're going to take him off their board. The issues that Jimmy Smith had were all years ago. He had multiple seasons of showing that was in his past and he really changed. That's not the case with Burfict. He's very immature and throwing 1st round money at him won't help that.
    Absolutely. He's going to have to own up to his issues and explain why he acted the way he did.

Again, and I'm just playing devil's advocate, at what point does upside and talent outweigh 1 season of insubordination?

Blog Entries

It was misleading because your post does not include the simple fact that these problems surfaced THIS season...it's not like they were issues last year or the year before.
    so the fact that it happened this year and not the one before means he didnt do these things? It still happened and shouldnt have. its still a negative thing thats hes accountable for. as far as his tackling head first, hes always done that and its a new rule that some players are having a hard time adjusting to (james harrison, which he kind of plays like wrecklessly). If his reason stems only from "i didnt like my coach because he sat me" than i think thats a sign of immaturity but also problems with authority. I think the fact that these issues came up later instead of earlier is a sign that maybe hes actually getting worse in that aspect and not maturing. like i said, if Ozzie signs off on him, ill be on board, but i wouldnt be surprised if hes off their board entirely.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

so the fact that it happened this year and not the one before means he didnt do these things? It still happened and shouldnt have. its still a negative thing thats hes accountable for. as far as his tackling head first, hes always done that and its a new rule that some players are having a hard time adjusting to (james harrison, which he kind of plays like wrecklessly). If his reason stems only from "i didnt like my coach because he sat me" than i think thats a sign of immaturity but also problems with authority. I think the fact that these issues came up later instead of earlier is a sign that maybe hes actually getting worse in that aspect and not maturing. like i said, if Ozzie signs off on him, ill be on board, but i wouldnt be surprised if hes off their board entirely.
    I'm not disagreeing with you that it is a red flag and something that should be taken into consideration and you and I both know it absolutely will. My point is that this is essentially an isolated incident. There aren't exactly patterns upon patterns of misconduct here.

If he had been a shithead last year as well as this year, ok, then it becomes a major problem.

In the Ravens' locker room, I don't think it would be an issue. Give the kid a clean slate and a mentor.

Blog Entries

Absolutely. He's going to have to own up to his issues and explain why he acted the way he did.

Again, and I'm just playing devil's advocate, at what point does upside and talent outweigh 1 season of insubordination?
    Never, if Hightower is still on the board when they pick.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Major hypothetical here:

What if Dre Kirkpatrick slips all the way down to the bottom of the first round due to his recent positive drug test, and he is sitting there when the Ravens are on the clock? Assume Burfict, Hightower, Konz and Kirkpatrick are all there. Who do you take?