Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112

Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

I think the only way he was getting drafted in 2012 was in the 7th round. I like our 7th rounder, Tyson, a lot, so I'm not losing a ton of sleep over it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I think the only way he was getting drafted in 2012 was in the 7th round. I like our 7th rounder, Tyson, a lot, so I'm not losing a ton of sleep over it.
    Good point, even Streeter I think has enough upside to not be upset about it, even with not making the roster. The draft class actually has been very good top to bottom so far. keep my fingers crossed i say that 3 years from now. at the end of the day 31 other teams said the exact same thing as we did, "not worth a pick".

2 (35) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    2 (60) Kelechi Osemele, G-T, Iowa State
    3 (84) Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
    4 (98) Gino Gradkowski, C-G, Delaware
    4 (130)-x Christian Thompson, FS, S.C. State
    5 (169)-x Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly
    6 (198) Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami
    7 (236) DeAngelo Tyson, DT, Georgia
    -JAB

It's being speculated in Cincinnati that Burfict will be moved to MLB next year and Rey Meuleuga (sp) will be allowed to walk. Seeing that Burfict appears to be able to play LB at a high level in, and knowing that Ray Lewis is retiring at the end of this year, I really don't think you can make an argument that DeAngelo Tyson or Tommy Streeter offered higher value than potentially locking down the MLB spot long-term.

Now... this is all with the benefit of hindsight. We certainly have no idea if Burfict would have bombed here in Baltimore, and we also have no idea that he'll be as good in the future as he's been this year. If's, and's, or but's...

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This. X1000. Someone started a thread a while back about whether the lack of development by younger players was coaching or talent. I'm in the group that thinks it's coaching.
    Talent was never a problem with Burfict. Everyone knew he COULD be a great player if he got his head on straight. Not every player is faced with that issue, in fact most times it's the opposite. Most players have a great attitude but not the talent to compete at the NFL level. And the one's who have neither are shown the door quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Good point, even Streeter I think has enough upside to not be upset about it, even with not making the roster. The draft class actually has been very good top to bottom so far. keep my fingers crossed i say that 3 years from now. at the end of the day 31 other teams said the exact same thing as we did, "not worth a pick".

2 (35) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    2 (60) Kelechi Osemele, G-T, Iowa State
    3 (84) Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
    4 (98) Gino Gradkowski, C-G, Delaware
    4 (130)-x Christian Thompson, FS, S.C. State
    5 (169)-x Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly
    6 (198) Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami
    7 (236) DeAngelo Tyson, DT, Georgia
    With Upshaw rounding into a solid pro already, Osemele starting all 16 games and proving so-so as a rookie RT, and Pierce mauling people right and left, that's a good enough start to consider this draft at least decent. If Gradkowski plays as well as we expect as our starting C next year, then I think you really have to like it. Tyson also looks like a keeper as a depth guy, with enough potential to maybe be a starter down the road. Jackson, Thompson, and Streeter are still the unknown entities.

If you add in Omar Brown, Justin Tucker, Deonte Thompson, and Bobby Rainey to the mix, this draft has the potential to be great.

Blog Entries

Burfict has been a very pleasant surprise. He led the team in tackles. Meuleuga looked so good his first year but has disappointed badly.

Mohammed Sanu was another good selection for us till he got hurt. If Dre Kirkpatrick can ever get healthy we might have some awesome stuff coming at us.

Win or lose Saturday, I really feel good about the Bengals next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Burfict has been a very pleasant surprise. He led the team in tackles. Meuleuga looked so good his first year but has disappointed badly.

Mohammed Sanu was another good selection for us till he got hurt. If Dre Kirkpatrick can ever get healthy we might have some awesome stuff coming at us.

Win or lose Saturday, I really feel good about the Bengals next year.
    I would if I were you. Steelers are on a downward spiral and up against the cap, were up against the cap and relying on internal growth and the browns, with a couple pieces here and there and maybe a better staff should improve but still need some time. to me the bengals are really in a great position for at least the immediate future, if not long term, because of what they have in place and the minimal upheaval.
    -JAB

Burfict WANTED to go to the Bengals. If a headcase like him doesn't WANT to play for a certain team, then what are you going to do when he half-asses it in training camp?