Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Burfict was a hit or miss guy.

The Ravens could have drafted him and he could have easily pulled a Sergio Kindle and got himself into trouble.

Its not like the Bengals drafted the him, they took a shot on him and its paid off. Kudos to them but I cant blame Ozzie for not wanting to deal with his character issues so soon after getting burned by Kindle. Given you had McClain, Ellerbe, Lewis and Ayanbadejo at the time, not so sure that it made much sense to take a chance on him
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

He had a crazy good stat line sunday, and considering he was supposedly some kind of head case, his being able to coax two of our veterans into 15 yard personal foul penalties (the Rice flag took us out of field goal range), makes him look even better. Kudos to him, except against us.

Blog Entries

Burfict would never be the same player here. He's bought into Marvin and listens to Zimmer. Without that kind of coaching I'm not sure what he does in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Burfict would never be the same player here. He's bought into Marvin and listens to Zimmer. Without that kind of coaching I'm not sure what he does in the NFL.
    This is definitely a legitimate point, and very interesting to think about. We've always assumed that the Bengals go after "bad character" guys because they usually come cheaply... but maybe they just honestly feel that they have the kind of team environment that can rehabilitate guys into respectable players?

The results have been mixed over the years, but lately they've hit on several such projects. Burfict is a cornerstone of the defense, Adam "Pacman" Jones is playing well for them, draftees like Carlos Dunlap (who had character problems) have stayed clean... You might be right. Zimmer and Marvin definitely seem able to get guys going.

Maybe Ray Lewis would have been able to get through to Burfict, but maybe not. I don't blame the Ravens for not taking a risk with Burfict but the talent was there even after all the mud the draft community tried to sling at him.

Blog Entries

Burfict talks about it in every interview. He admits that he had serious mental issues and that the Bengals coaches made him get over them. They've really done a great job with him. If he had been a Raven he would be in Harbaugh's doghouse and never see the field.

Burfict talks about it in every interview. He admits that he had serious mental issues and that the Bengals coaches made him get over them. They've really done a great job with him. If he had been a Raven he would be in Harbaugh's doghouse and never see the field.
    But if we would have done that, at least it would have kept him away from one of division rivals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    But if we would have done that, at least it would have kept him away from one of division rivals.
    He was a free agent. The Ravens had no interest and after speaking with Marvin he didn't want to go anywhere else. If the Ravens had drafted Tom Brady it would have saved a lot of heartache too but it just doesn't work that way.

Blog Entries

Let's see how he follows up this season. They tend to start off that way up there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let's see how he follows up this season. They tend to start off that way up there.
    Just like AJ Green, Geno Atkins, and Andre Smith huh? They have all fell off a cliff since their rookie years....

The only bust they've drafted in the last few years in a high round is Rey Mauluga, he's kind of like the Terrence Cody version of LB's, looks impressively built, has rare athleticism, but just isn't good.

Blog Entries

Hes very open about Zimmerman making him the man he is today. Makes me wonder, what happens when Zimmerman is a HC next year? For his sake I hope the lessons stick. If he came here, maybe Ray is that mentor, but i still dont blame anybody for not drafting him. there was a more likely chance he didnt succeed than did by the time the draft came around and kudos for him for beating those odds by making the choices necessary. He still was playing like a thug though (stepping on, not letting T smith up, which is what got riced to react the next play).
    -JAB

Blog Entries

This. X1000. Someone started a thread a while back about whether the lack of development by younger players was coaching or talent. I'm in the group that thinks it's coaching.

I would have taken a gamble on him with a late round pick like the Bengals did.