Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

Even though he's got some issues, I think he'd fit in well in our locker room Sizzle another AZ State guy there to corral him in and take him under his wing.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    In theory Hightower checks most of the boxes, but I don't know if he's going to have the quickness or be the playmaker we need. He's 6'4" and that may be good for coverage (height and wingspan make shorter passing windows) but don't know how it translates in the run game. Is he a sure tackler? Does he wrap up every time? That's what I'd want to know.
    I have seen Bama play plenty of times over the last few years. Hightower is a flat out stud. He has very good speed and agility for his size, is as solid of a tackler as there is, and he looks like a DE when he blitzes. He is not perfect and he does play on an elite defense so all he has to do is his job, but he knows where to be and what to do when he ges there. He is also much more of a hit and wrap tackler than a shoulder launcher.

Upshaw is very likely gone in the top 15, maybe top 10.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Even though he's got some issues, I think he'd fit in well in our locker room Sizzle another AZ State guy there to corral him in and take him under his wing.
    Completely agree. He also really looks up to Ray Lewis. I would say if we were the Raiders, Cards, Eagles, Bucs, etc. or team without a strong locker room then you don't take the gamble. With us having such a good track record of hard working, classy guys both on and off the field it's worth the chance. He without a doubt has as much talent as anyone in this draft; however, really needs to stay disciplined. I feel like if he's on the field with guys like Ray, Haloti, Terrell, Ed, etc. he won't want to make them mad.

With the way the league is going if we take a lb in the first round the guy has to be a stud in coverage. Not sure how Burfict and Hightower are rated in coverage. If Hightower does not fit the bill and the Ravens are not confident in Burfict mentally I hope they take an offensive lineman.

Blog Entries

Hightower should be number one on their list and the only player that would come close would be his teammate Upshaw, who will likely go before him. Hightower has EVERYTHING you would want in an ILB. He can tackle, shed blocks, diagnose plays, has size, blitz from the inside and outside, good character, winning pedigree, hits with authority, etc.

This isn't Ellerbe, who doesn't put in the work during the week to maximize his potential. This isn't McClain who was known for hitting the hole timidly, more of a reactive tackler. This isn't Burfict, who would draw a penalty faster than a Doc Holliday draws his gun.

Thank goodness we have Ozzie as the GM, because you better believe Hightower is at the top of his list.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

If we are talking linebackers only, I like Hightower over Burfict. I think if we look at the AFCCG yesterday, we beat those guys in most facets of the game. They won the most important battle, the score, and were better in the kicking game. The other area where I think they outplayed us is on the offensive line. I think we need to make some changes and if we get a shot at a great o lineman in the draft, we should take him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Hightower should be number one on their list and the only player that would come close would be his teammate Upshaw, who will likely go before him. Hightower has EVERYTHING you would want in an ILB. He can tackle, shed blocks, diagnose plays, has size, blitz from the inside and outside, good character, winning pedigree, hits with authority, etc.

This isn't Ellerbe, who doesn't put in the work during the week to maximize his potential. This isn't McClain who was known for hitting the hole timidly, more of a reactive tackler. This isn't Burfict, who would draw a penalty faster than a Doc Holliday draws his gun.

Thank goodness we have Ozzie as the GM, because you better believe Hightower is at the top of his list.
    His blitzing ability from the outside is extremely underated. Honestly he has the size to play any LB spot in a 3-4 Defense. No brainer if he is still there when we pick. I just have a feeling Burfict will be taken later, and no chance Hightower gets past both Philly, NY, and Pitt.

Burfict is fast and good in coverage (has nice height for those huge TEs too) from what I've seen, but I saw him strugfle to get off blocks more than a few times this year.

How about Nick Perry from USC? Heard he is a great pass rusher, one we can use opposite of Suggs.

We don't need another pass rusher since Kruger's emergence, we need an ILB which has been ignored too long with these UDFA types like McClain, Ellerbe.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    We don't need another pass rusher since Kruger's emergence, we need an ILB which has been ignored too long with these UDFA types like McClain, Ellerbe.
    You guys think we need a LB after watching the OL performance for the past 2 weeks?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Jimmys "problems" were when he was a freshman and they were off the field. Burficts are still happening and are on the field problems. As great as he could be i bet hes taken off or rated extremely low on their board.

I think Hightower and Upshaw are the guys being mentioned most. ILB are rarely taken in the first round and usually OLB are only take when theyre extreme pass rushers. Not sure what that means for these guys but i could easily see us having our choice of ILB at 29.
    This post is very misleading.

Last year people were touting Burfict as the best MLB prospect since Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis. He didn't have any issues last season.

This season the coaching staff was in upheaval and there were other guys who had issues far worse than Burfict. For example, I believe their starting DE this year has been dismissed from the program for failure to follow team rules for a 3rd or 4th time.

Burfict is super aggressive and after committing a personal foul on a player the coaching staff pulled him off the field for the rest of the game. IIRC, ASU could have potentially won that game and why pull one of your best players over a penalty? The point is there was friction there prior to this season and realistically it was only this season that Burfict had troubles.

Nutcase? No. I don't see that. I see a kid who basically just lost respect for his coaching staff and copped an attitude towards them. However, Dennis Erickson let it happen. He definitely didn't handle that situation correctly, IMO.

Then, I think you have to consider the locker room presence here in Baltimore and how that impacts Burfict. How does playing beside Ray Lewis and having guys like Lewis and Suggs (also went to ASU) in his ear about staying in control of your emotions and letting your play do the talking? Those are legit questions that need to be asked because Burfict is the best MLB prospect in this draft until you factor in him telling his coaches at ASU to fuck off. He's 6'3" 250lbs, can run with anyone, hits like Mack truck, causes fumbles, tackles well, and rushes the passer extremely well. Had he come out last year, he would have been a top 20 pick easily.

I think this could be a good opportunity for the Ravens to snatch up a guy with incredible upside and talent and let coaches like Harbs and Pagano school him on how to be a professional.

We're not talking about a kid who has been arrested multiple times for rape, drugs, theft, DUI's or anything like that. We're not talking about a kid who was failing classes left and right and violating team rules for meetings and whatnot. We're talking about a kid who needs to be taught how to harness his aggressiveness and temper his attitude. He needs to be humbled and he needs a mentor.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.