Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 140
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,052
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...



    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Whats misleading? The guy has committed numerous personal fouls, doesnt respect his coaches, and has a history of taking cheap shots. Those have all been shown on the field. nothing i said hasnt been said before and i didnt claim that he had any legal issues. in his case its solely on the field. I dont care if he does or doesnt like his coach, but he needs to listen to him. including when his coach asks him to come off the field instead of completely ignoring him. You want a guy that if he feels upset with the coaching staff thinks he can just ignore them? sorry but thats not a Raven. I think hes a special talent (his closing speed may be the best ive seen), and just may be a great player (if hes under control and learns to not tackle leading with his head) but i dont see the risk worthy in the first round, personally. I think youre going to have a guy that extends drives with dumb non disciplined plays. Our locker room could help him, but if he doesnt listen to coaches it certainly wont. Jimmy coming out had every bit of a first round grade, there were just questions about his character. Burfict has no character issues but certainly has issues with the way he plays. A lot of the Mock Drafts Ive seen dont even have him being drafted in the first round for this very reason. I wouldnt be completely upset if we drafted him, but id prefer using a 2nd on him than our first. If Ozzie says hes the pick than ill expect theyve done their research but from what little ive seen theres red flags around this kid and im not the first to have said/seen it.
    I think you're right. This is going to be a case of the interview carrying a lot of weight. If the Ravens get a bad vibe when they speak to him they're going to take him off their board. The issues that Jimmy Smith had were all years ago. He had multiple seasons of showing that was in his past and he really changed. That's not the case with Burfict. He's very immature and throwing 1st round money at him won't help that.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think you're right. This is going to be a case of the interview carrying a lot of weight. If the Ravens get a bad vibe when they speak to him they're going to take him off their board. The issues that Jimmy Smith had were all years ago. He had multiple seasons of showing that was in his past and he really changed. That's not the case with Burfict. He's very immature and throwing 1st round money at him won't help that.
    Absolutely. He's going to have to own up to his issues and explain why he acted the way he did.

    Again, and I'm just playing devil's advocate, at what point does upside and talent outweigh 1 season of insubordination?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #33

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It was misleading because your post does not include the simple fact that these problems surfaced THIS season...it's not like they were issues last year or the year before.
    so the fact that it happened this year and not the one before means he didnt do these things? It still happened and shouldnt have. its still a negative thing thats hes accountable for. as far as his tackling head first, hes always done that and its a new rule that some players are having a hard time adjusting to (james harrison, which he kind of plays like wrecklessly). If his reason stems only from "i didnt like my coach because he sat me" than i think thats a sign of immaturity but also problems with authority. I think the fact that these issues came up later instead of earlier is a sign that maybe hes actually getting worse in that aspect and not maturing. like i said, if Ozzie signs off on him, ill be on board, but i wouldnt be surprised if hes off their board entirely.
    -JAB




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    so the fact that it happened this year and not the one before means he didnt do these things? It still happened and shouldnt have. its still a negative thing thats hes accountable for. as far as his tackling head first, hes always done that and its a new rule that some players are having a hard time adjusting to (james harrison, which he kind of plays like wrecklessly). If his reason stems only from "i didnt like my coach because he sat me" than i think thats a sign of immaturity but also problems with authority. I think the fact that these issues came up later instead of earlier is a sign that maybe hes actually getting worse in that aspect and not maturing. like i said, if Ozzie signs off on him, ill be on board, but i wouldnt be surprised if hes off their board entirely.
    I'm not disagreeing with you that it is a red flag and something that should be taken into consideration and you and I both know it absolutely will. My point is that this is essentially an isolated incident. There aren't exactly patterns upon patterns of misconduct here.

    If he had been a shithead last year as well as this year, ok, then it becomes a major problem.

    In the Ravens' locker room, I don't think it would be an issue. Give the kid a clean slate and a mentor.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,364
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Absolutely. He's going to have to own up to his issues and explain why he acted the way he did.

    Again, and I'm just playing devil's advocate, at what point does upside and talent outweigh 1 season of insubordination?
    Never, if Hightower is still on the board when they pick.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,801

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Major hypothetical here:

    What if Dre Kirkpatrick slips all the way down to the bottom of the first round due to his recent positive drug test, and he is sitting there when the Ravens are on the clock? Assume Burfict, Hightower, Konz and Kirkpatrick are all there. Who do you take?




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Major hypothetical here:

    What if Dre Kirkpatrick slips all the way down to the bottom of the first round due to his recent positive drug test, and he is sitting there when the Ravens are on the clock? Assume Burfict, Hightower, Konz and Kirkpatrick are all there. Who do you take?
    For me, I try to trade back to a team like the Rams or Colts who desperately need a corner. Considering the teams picking after that there would be a very good chance that one of those three would still be there.

    If I had to pick though, I'd probably go for Konz. Konz has more value than Hightower.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #38

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Wicked one could make the argument that repeated insubordination no matter what the circumstance is not acceptable and could be a red flag.

    I don't care what you think about the coach you do what they tell you. Period. What would happen to you if you repeatedly challenged your higher ups in the Navy? How would you be viewed?

    You know the saying, it isn't about what happens to you it is how you deal with it. Burflict apparently does not know how to deal with things, whatever they might be. Can that or will it change? Who knows, but it can't be overlooked.




  9. #39

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    I like both guys to be honest. I've noticed Hightower for quite some time and he would add instant size and he can hit! He seems overall like a beast. Only thing I could see with him is his athleticism in the open field.




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Wicked one could make the argument that repeated insubordination no matter what the circumstance is not acceptable and could be a red flag.

    I don't care what you think about the coach you do what they tell you. Period. What would happen to you if you repeatedly challenged your higher ups in the Navy? How would you be viewed?

    You know the saying, it isn't about what happens to you it is how you deal with it. Burflict apparently does not know how to deal with things, whatever they might be. Can that or will it change? Who knows, but it can't be overlooked.
    Absolutely a valid point dude.

    In the Navy if one were to have that type of insubordination they wouldn't be long for the uniform, so to speak.

    This is why I think it's going to be imperative for this guy to be straightforward in his interviews because he's going to be grilled about those things. If Jeff Ireland can grill Dez Bryant on whether or not his mother is a prostitute, you damn well better believe that they are going to press Burfict's buttons and put him in really uncomfortable situations to see how he reacts.

    He's not my first choice for the Ravens at MLB, obviously Hightower or Kuechly are, but Burfict might actually be the only MLB there in the bottom of round 1.

    Now, frankly if I'm picking between Burfict and someone like Whitney Mercilus, Nick Perry, or Andre Branch I think that I'd be looking at those guys more as their upside is there, character concerns aren't an issue, and the production is there against top tiered competition.

    After the playoffs and the 2nd half of the season I'm not certain why anyone would feel that a pass rusher isn't a priority for the Ravens this off-season. Nothing against Suggs or Ngata, but those two can only do so much when they're facing constant double teams.

    I think you also have to consider DT's now like a Michael Brockers from LSU or a Devon Still from Penn State.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I like both guys to be honest. I've noticed Hightower for quite some time and he would add instant size and he can hit! He seems overall like a beast. Only thing I could see with him is his athleticism in the open field.
    Personally, I think he'll be long gone by the time the Ravens pick. His size, speed, and performance in the BCS National Championship - IMO - will make him the #1 MLB taken in April. I think Hightower goes somewhere between 11-16. That could push Luke Kuechly into striking distance for the Ravens. Might be something to think about.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    In Mel Kiper's draft he has Upshaw (Al Linebacker) going 10th and Hightower is not in the first round at all.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  13. #43

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I like both guys to be honest. I've noticed Hightower for quite some time and he would add instant size and he can hit! He seems overall like a beast. Only thing I could see with him is his athleticism in the open field.
    I think he has it, and will do very well vs these big athletic TEs. His height may be a bit of a negative when taking on Gs, but it should help a ton in covering the 6'5" and up TEs.







  14. #44

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    God no..

    Burfict is a disaster.
    Honestly 3 months ago, i would have called you crazy. But seeing as he basically got his head coach fired, and watching the national championship seeing how Dominant Hightower was.

    I would honestly take Hightower over Burfict at this point. Burfict is high risk high reward, he could be a dominant player. Hightower is low risk, and still a pretty high reward. I mean the guy is 6'4 260, if he runs a good 40, he will open a lot of eyes. I think he could turn out to be the best player out of the two.

    Hightower's 40 time will be very important, if he runs a 4.6 or so, he will be a first round lock.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb





  15. #45

    Re: If the Ravens can't get Vontaze Burfict...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Personally, I think he'll be long gone by the time the Ravens pick. His size, speed, and performance in the BCS National Championship - IMO - will make him the #1 MLB taken in April. I think Hightower goes somewhere between 11-16. That could push Luke Kuechly into striking distance for the Ravens. Might be something to think about.
    I would be you money that Keachley doesn't get out of the top 20. If he shows his athleticism, at the combine, he will most likely be the first MLB Taken. I cant see Hightower or Burfict going ahead of him, unless one of them just kills it at the combine.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland