Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jamal Lewis so far in 2006

I think Jamal's been 'ok' thus far. He's not had a 100 yard game yet, but he's at least looking better than last year.

However, I have a feeling we're not going to offer up that big bonus to keep him around after this year considering the way the deal is structured.

We have Musa Smith and Mike Anderson back there...so I'm obviously not sure what will happen, none of us can be...or he might light it up later. 3 games isn't really enough to tell for sure.

While he's not been terrible, I don't think anyone will argue that he is still an elite back. He's popped a few good runs here and there, but still averaging on the lower end of what we'd like to see.

Part of the problem is that Jamal's not the best fit for the offense Fassel likes to run. Jamal is a pure runner without great hands. Musa is a bit less of a power back, but he's been able to catch the swing and screen and do fairly well with them. But we also have anderson for more power-type plays.

Anyone else have thoughts thus far?

Re: Jamal Lewis so far in 2006

Jamal has been efficient. We are going to need him healthy and strong as the season progresses so I kind of like how he is being used now.

Jamal looks fine to me and is running with determination. He's averaging 4.0, just slightly less than his career average. He's on a pace for 1,200-1,300 yards. His carries are down from the old days, it's a different philosophy (although I'm not sure what the philosophy is). I agree thought, a decision must be made at the end of the year. I don't see all 3 of these guys back next year.

Jamal is starting to put the stutter-step back inot his run. He needs to run more to the outside and cut-up the field.
    Pffffff! I trust wikipedia more than the NFL. If anyone would know football, it is clearly wikipedia.
    -xmradiodave 9/13/08

Jamal probably can't afford to pussyfoot around with this OL. In fact he might be better serves just trucking his own guys in the back and making his own holes. These bastards up front have sucked major ass.

Jamal is tied for 10th in YPC(min 40 attempts) with the great LT,behind a horrible O line so I really dont know what a lot of you are complaining about.Edge James is averaging 3.4 behind a similarly rated O line,so I guess he is done as well.As far as the "stutter stepping" nobody was complaining when it got him 2,066,and moreover if ther WAS A HOLE he wouldnt need to do it.

Jamal, even though effective so far, and, imo better than both of his backups, just does Not seem to have the 'burst' he once had. He seemed to be a lot more explosive the year he broke the record, and still appears not to be running with the explosiveness that he once had. Let's see how the season progresses. To be honest with you, I thought the Steelers missed the boat by not signing him in the offseason...

I'm not complaining as much as saying he's not looking like the guy who ran for 2066 or the guy who busted out as a rookie.

Mainly, I am saying 'ok, so if Jamal keeps doing this 70ish to low 80s per game (so for the year 1200ish yards maybe 5-8 TDs)...do we show him the money and keep him around?'

I'm not really sure of the answer yet, just wanted to see what the opinion was. I'm not sure at this point.

Has any RB ever had MULTIPLE 2,000 yd seasons? Of course he isnt going to look like he did in 03 that was a career year.

If Jamal gets the 387 carries he did in 2003,that would be 1548 yds,not too shabby if you ask me.Jamal is 27,he is not 30 plus like the majority of people who think he is done percieve him to be.He still has 2-3 more good years in him and I would pay the man.

Funny how Jamal being done coincides with our offensive line forgetting how to run block.

Ditto Fade,just a coincidence I guess.

just wondering if it's worth paying him. I just think that will be an interesting decision depending on the rest of the season.