Most important offseason decision

Despite the stinging of yesterday, may as well look at what could be a satisfying offseason.

Ravens Unrestricted Free Agents include: RB Ray Rice, LG Ben Grubbs, DE Cory Redding, LB Jarret Johnson, LB Jameel McClain, S Tom Zbikowski, S Haruki Nakamura, C Matt Birk, LB Brendon Ayanbadejo, OL Andre Gurode, TE Kris Wilson, DT Brandon McKinney and LB Edgar Jones.

Restricted Free Agents include: CB Lardarius Webb, LB Dannell Ellerbe.

Not sure which part Cary is in. Think it's unrestricted, but not sure how the practice squad time he spent plays into that, if at all.

Kindle may be out of contract, but on exclusive rights.

I'm not sure how much cap room we have - maybe B-more Ravor will collate a offseason primer at some point.

Big decisions include:
    What to do at offensive co-ordinator?
    Where does the franchise tag go?
    To resign Rice and/or Grubbs?
    Is it getting Webb a longer term contract?
    Position to take with first round pick? (29th, I think?)
    Making a free agent splash, such as on a guy like Marques Colston or Vincent Jackson? (though, cap room may not be there)
    Flacco's extension? (good point)

Which would you say is the most important?
    Last edited by Tyrian; 01-23-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Most important offseason decision

Coaching changes would come first....

1st priority after that is locking up Rice. Grubbs will likely be allowed to hit the market, but I think we try to retain him. Franchise tag, I'd use on Rice if we can't negotiate in time, but I think Bisciotti knows his value and will compensate him well.

If we're going to extend anyone not hitting free agency, it's Flacco. Webb is a thought, but Flacco and Rice are more important to get locked up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

First thing they need to do is over haul the offensive staff. Need a new OC and a new oline coach for sure. Probably a new special teams coach as well.

Need to continue with youth movement on defense. Let JJ go and use Kruger in that spot. Kruger has proven to be a much better pass rusher and it is becoming a passing league. Probably need to let Redding walk as well. Hopefullly McPhee can be his replacement. Birk has to go as well.
    Joe is the most important QB to lock into a long term contract. I would watch what Matt Ryan gets as he is a free agent and match it. Rice is important but not worth breaking the bank. RBs have a short life in the NFL. Most RBs that were given big contracts saw their play tail off dramatically in subsequent years. If he wants anything close to what CJ or Peterson got I think you just franchise him for a year. I hope Ozzie resigns Webb this year rather than waiting until he gets serious press next year. I think he is cheaper than what he will be next year.

Priorities: ILB(need ones that can cover), RG, C,. Secondary needs S, WR, LT. This is assuming Reed does not retire. Also need depth at Dline, Interior Oline.

Blog Entries

I don't think Matt Ryan is a free agent. He and Joe were drafted in the same year, both 1st round, so both got 5 year deals. I'd be shocked if he only signed a 4 year deal, as high a pick as he was.

Here's where we stand, position by position:

QB - Lock Joe Up. I hope we grab a vet in FA, I have a REALLY weird feeling Joe won't be able to play all 16 games next year. I think it's just paranoia, but the kid has played every snap for 4 years. Those kind've streaks at QB are tough to do.

RB - LOCK UP RAY! If he goes, you can kiss everything we do on offense now goodbye. Not sure if Ricky was a 1 year deal or 2 year...I think I'd like him back if he wants to. I know he said Baltimore was the last place he'd go and after his contract is up, he'd likely retire. So I think it was a 2 year deal. Hopefully, we get to see some development out of Anthony Allen as a power back. Our short yardage play needs some work...BIG TIME

WR - Goodbye Lee Evans. In the end, he was no better than TJ Housh. We've got our top 2 guys set. I think we should invest in a solid guy who COULD start, but isn't a bonefide starter. Preferrably another speed guy instead of a possession WR. Next year, I hope Doss gets on the field more. Not sure if he wasn't practicing well or if they just didn't think he'd contribute enough, but Doss was supposed to be a sure handed WR.

TE - Get a good blocker. Pitta and Dickson are both pretty good TEs, I think next year you see the true winner of who's going to be the star TE in our system. Pitta had a LOT of mojo coming his way in the 2nd half this year. Dickson was stronger in the 1st half, but those drops really buried him in the depth chart towards the end

OL - Yanda is the only certainty. Yikes. McKinnie was a serviceable LT, we could run with him for another year, but we should really true to find a true LT stud in the draft. Grubbs will likely be re-signed, if not I'm sure we'll find a decent vet LG who will just be a slight downgrade. C has to be a spot to keep an eye on. If Birk retires, I guess we re-sign Gurode and plug him in. We need to get a young C to develop. Maybe Boren? Oher is probably back at RT, but he needs to step up his game big time

DL - Ngata is locked up long term, Redding is a free agent who might be priced out, Cody is solid in the middle. McPhee maybe can step in for Redding, but I'd still like someone who can rotate with him while he gets comfortable. The rookie was a nice suprise, but I don't think he's an every down player yet.

LB - JJ has been a great Raven for us, but if the cap gets tight, I don't think we re-sign him. I'd love to see him back, but I think he'll be too expensive. And Kruger is showing more and more he's ready to be the guy we drafted him to be. STILL need to find a guy to step in for Ray when he's done. Shoot, we still need to find the guy to play NEXT to Ray. McClain was okay, I'd bring him back as a free agent, but I don't think he's a slam dunk starter. Ellerbe is really not doing it for me. Too undisciplined.

CB - Not sure what Cary Williams' status is, but I think we're good and set with Gorrer, Jimmy Smith, Webb, Carr (Although, his contract is starting to look like a mistake), and hopefully we can retain Williams. Please please PLEASE get Foxworth off the roster

S - Start looking for young depth. Pollard and Reed will be back, and I'd bet we re-sign at least Nakamura as a ST'er. Zbikowski will be an interesting name to watch, see if another team might go after him for a big role in their secondary. I'd keep him for cheap, but don't get in a bidding war for him.

ST - Cundiff will really be a quandary. You can say dump him all you want, but you're going to have to eat some money on that new deal he just signed. and it was really just one kick. I think at the least, they have to let him go through camp and show that he's improved. The worry is that he might not be able to shake off that kick, it might get in his head. Still looking for a good kick returner.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Well I think theres a few things weve talked about on here thatll need to be taken care. OC being a large one. we have to figure out if Cam is staying or not so we can draft and pick up FAs according to whichever OC/system we have.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I don't think Matt Ryan is a free agent. He and Joe were drafted in the same year, both 1st round, so both got 5 year deals. I'd be shocked if he only signed a 4 year deal, as high a pick as he was.

Here's where we stand, position by position:

QB - Lock Joe Up. I hope we grab a vet in FA, I have a REALLY weird feeling Joe won't be able to play all 16 games next year. I think it's just paranoia, but the kid has played every snap for 4 years. Those kind've streaks at QB are tough to do.

RB - LOCK UP RAY! If he goes, you can kiss everything we do on offense now goodbye. Not sure if Ricky was a 1 year deal or 2 year...I think I'd like him back if he wants to. I know he said Baltimore was the last place he'd go and after his contract is up, he'd likely retire. So I think it was a 2 year deal. Hopefully, we get to see some development out of Anthony Allen as a power back. Our short yardage play needs some work...BIG TIME

WR - Goodbye Lee Evans. In the end, he was no better than TJ Housh. We've got our top 2 guys set. I think we should invest in a solid guy who COULD start, but isn't a bonefide starter. Preferrably another speed guy instead of a possession WR. Next year, I hope Doss gets on the field more. Not sure if he wasn't practicing well or if they just didn't think he'd contribute enough, but Doss was supposed to be a sure handed WR.

TE - Get a good blocker. Pitta and Dickson are both pretty good TEs, I think next year you see the true winner of who's going to be the star TE in our system. Pitta had a LOT of mojo coming his way in the 2nd half this year. Dickson was stronger in the 1st half, but those drops really buried him in the depth chart towards the end

OL - Yanda is the only certainty. Yikes. McKinnie was a serviceable LT, we could run with him for another year, but we should really true to find a true LT stud in the draft. Grubbs will likely be re-signed, if not I'm sure we'll find a decent vet LG who will just be a slight downgrade. C has to be a spot to keep an eye on. If Birk retires, I guess we re-sign Gurode and plug him in. We need to get a young C to develop. Maybe Boren? Oher is probably back at RT, but he needs to step up his game big time

DL - Ngata is locked up long term, Redding is a free agent who might be priced out, Cody is solid in the middle. McPhee maybe can step in for Redding, but I'd still like someone who can rotate with him while he gets comfortable. The rookie was a nice suprise, but I don't think he's an every down player yet.

LB - JJ has been a great Raven for us, but if the cap gets tight, I don't think we re-sign him. I'd love to see him back, but I think he'll be too expensive. And Kruger is showing more and more he's ready to be the guy we drafted him to be. STILL need to find a guy to step in for Ray when he's done. Shoot, we still need to find the guy to play NEXT to Ray. McClain was okay, I'd bring him back as a free agent, but I don't think he's a slam dunk starter. Ellerbe is really not doing it for me. Too undisciplined.

CB - Not sure what Cary Williams' status is, but I think we're good and set with Gorrer, Jimmy Smith, Webb, Carr (Although, his contract is starting to look like a mistake), and hopefully we can retain Williams. Please please PLEASE get Foxworth off the roster

S - Start looking for young depth. Pollard and Reed will be back, and I'd bet we re-sign at least Nakamura as a ST'er. Zbikowski will be an interesting name to watch, see if another team might go after him for a big role in their secondary. I'd keep him for cheap, but don't get in a bidding war for him.

ST - Cundiff will really be a quandary. You can say dump him all you want, but you're going to have to eat some money on that new deal he just signed. and it was really just one kick. I think at the least, they have to let him go through camp and show that he's improved. The worry is that he might not be able to shake off that kick, it might get in his head. Still looking for a good kick returner.
    I think Ryan signed a 6 year deal being a top 10 pick.

Pretty much agree. Flacco Rice and Grubbs need to be back. the rest i think well just try to get as many as we can. best deals for the team, as we will be cap conscious. its a shame but i think well be losing some great vets still able to play. Redding and JJ may be too much for us to bring back. I think as far as Free Agency and the draft goes, well be looking for guys that can CATCH the damn ball. Hopefully the FO stresses the importance of our guys working on this aspect so we can see improvements without adding players. Dickson as much as i feel he could be good, hes hurting the team too much to be seeing significant time, so i think bringing in a vet TE would be a good choice as a second option behind pitta. We need to get younger on defense and get some linebackers that can run with these big athletic TEs. its not just a one year wonder, well be seeing this as a new trend for awhile. Cundiff will be back, but i see competition in camp for him. at the end of the day he cost us OT and thats huge. We got a busy offseason ahead of us.
    -JAB

Most important is the coaching changes. Cam needs to go. OL coach needs to go. WR coach needs to go.

I'll be the first to say this, I don't think Rice played well the last two games. For all the right player, right price talk for the Ravens, they really need to think about it for Rice.

Blog Entries

I hope we can find a good center. Birk is done I think.

It was not just one kick for Cundiff. I look at a guy like Robbie Gould who can hit 50+ yard field goals and inspires confidence when he gets on the field. Cundiff lost that this year. Maybe it was his injury, maybe not but he missed quite a few 50+ yard field goals.

[QUOTE=RavenScallywag;411787]I don't think Matt Ryan is a free agent. He and Joe were drafted in the same year, both 1st round, so both got 5 year deals. I'd be shocked if he only signed a 4 year deal, as high a pick as he was.

You are right on Ryan. For some reason I thought he had signed a 4 year deal. It was 6 for 72m. I think Ravens should sign Flacco for 7 for 84m. With about 35m guaranteed. Ryan Fitzpatrick got about 9m a year. Rivers 14m a year. Eli 15m a year. Eli's contract was after the SB win but before he really turned into a top QB.

I am not in a agreement that Rice is as important to the Ravens offense. He was shut down in two playoff games. He is not a RB that you can pound up the middle and you are guaranteed to get 3 yards. He is a great rb if you have a passing game that opens things up. Rice was critical this year because the offense lacked creativity and relied on the run. The team was ineffective when people stopped Rice. The oline is certainly culpable as well. Unfortunately I don't know that they will be able to resign Grubbs. May be too expensive. I also think they should bring back Evans. He will be cheap and he was not healthy this year. Putting him on the outside and moving Boldin to the slot would be ideal. Not sure they can get a better option as cap space is going to be tough. Really need to get Oline figured out first and foremost. Followed by ILB. If you can get a big time WR in the draft you do it but can't afford a high priced free agent.

Cary Williams is a RFA. He will be back, unless we can get someone else to overpay for him with a high draft pick, which I deem unlikely.

Ray Rice ran well yesterday, even though his success was minimal. I thought, even though he didn't break a big one, he did a nice job of running north-south and getting an extra yard or two after contact on virtually every carry.

I don't think he ran that well against Houston though. If we had a young, semi-proven back on our roster for next year, I could see our interest a little less than full-force, but we aren't in that position. Rice will be back, even if just for one more year. He's so durable and reliable with protecting the football that you have supreme confidence in him at any point on the field at any point in the game.