Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dennis Pitta has to start next season....

I'm sorry Ed, but watching Pitta make incredible catch after incredible catch, and Ed Dropping catches that Pitta makes look routine just makes it worse.

Pitta is a potential pro bowl Tight End, Ed will probably never reach his full potential because of his hands.

They will fight it out in the Offseason, and i fully expect Pitta to win the Job.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Re: Dennis Pitta has to start next season....

The way I see it we should be looking TE or WR high in the draft. Dickson has cost us in some way or another the last 6 GAMES. Every fucking game he is dropping a HUGE pass. Pitta? Money every damn time.

Problem is Pitta is more of a big WR than TE, and you need a TE presence in there that can block for the run game. Again, I would bring someone else in and Dickson can be the 3rd guy for all I care. Every time we have needed him to make an EASY catch he FAILS. And FAILS again. And FAILS again.

I agree 100% provided he bulks up this offseason so he can contribute to the running game as well.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    The way I see it we should be looking TE or WR high in the draft. Dickson has cost us in some way or another the last 6 GAMES. Every fucking game he is dropping a HUGE pass. Pitta? Money every damn time.

Problem is Pitta is more of a big WR than TE, and you need a TE presence in there that can block for the run game. Again, I would bring someone else in and Dickson can be the 3rd guy for all I care. Every time we have needed him to make an EASY catch he FAILS. And FAILS again. And FAILS again.
    I really like Coby Fleener from stanford, he's about 6'6 240. He's that guy, and he could be had in the 3rd, i would really love for us to draft him. I agree with you, Dickson is who he is.

Agree. Pitta is a future key to our passing game. He could be a sort of future Boldin. Pitta and Torrie can grow with Flacco. Dickson can join Lee Evans on the short list of Ozzie's boo-boos. WR or TE high in draft? We need help at OL and ILB first.

I agree with the posts thus far. Pitta isn't much of an in-line TE, just because of his build and lack of blocking ability. If he can add weight and get there he might lose some of his athleticism. But I don't like Dickson as the starting TE, either.

I would hate to have to consider TE a need going into the 2012 draft. It's a weak class of TEs, anyway. Give Dickson another year, but coach Pitta up and see if he can start in-line. See what happens in training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with the posts thus far. Pitta isn't much of an in-line TE, just because of his build and lack of blocking ability. If he can add weight and get there he might lose some of his athleticism. But I don't like Dickson as the starting TE, either.

I would hate to have to consider TE a need going into the 2012 draft. It's a weak class of TEs, anyway. Give Dickson another year, but coach Pitta up and see if he can start in-line. See what happens in training camp.
    Pitta is a better blocker than people give him credit for.

All year long I've had the sense that Dickson was the starting TE (if that's the right term since we didn't really have a clear-cut starter) simply because he was drafted higher than Pitta. I know it's been said that some of Pitta's production appears to come from Dickson drawing more attention from the defense, and I could believe that was true earlier in the season but at this point I don't see how one can draw any conclusion other than:

Dickson = flashes of talent but unreliable
    Pitta = money

Pitta isn't a Ferrari and he isn't the answer in the power run blocking game, but the guy gets open and he CATCHES THE DURN BALL. We have a lot of dropsies in our offense (Dickson isn't the only offender) so the one guy who stands out by CATCHING is Pitta. Give that man a starting job, please!

Pitta is going to start next year. Has to.

Blog Entries

Dickson should rightfully be the starter. You can coach what he lacks, but you cannot coach speed and size. If anyone should lose their job it needs to be his position coach, along with the wr coach and the offensive line coach.

Pitta definitely should start, but we gotta keep Dickson too. He's just got to put it together. Next year I think this offense becomes what we thought they would be this season.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Aren't Dickson and Pitta roughly the same size? And didn't Pitta run a faster 40-yard dash out of college than Dickson? I'm just going on memory for that so I might be wrong. And Dickson doesn't show much strength or blocking ability for someone of his size either, to go along with his suspect hands.

Dickson may some day turn out to be a good TE but right now he's still a project.

Right now Pitta is already a pretty good TE.