Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: I don't care what anyone says, Lee Evans' catch should have been a catch/TD!

No catch and no conspiracy. Win some lose some. I'm glad Joe had a great day Ray's coming back. One added stub receiver and pass rusher and we will be back next year. Oh yeah and a new OC.

Re: I don't care what anyone says, Lee Evans' catch should have been a catch/TD!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ans-non-catch/

“The ruling on the field of an incomplete pass was confirmed by the Instant Replay assistant, correctly, and as a result, there was no need to stop the game,” the league said in a statement forwarded to PFT by spokesman Michael Signora. “The receiver did not get his second foot down in the end zone with possession, and as a result, it was an incomplete pass.”

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...s-costs-Ravens

Frame-by-frame at 31 seconds. His second foot is very clearly not down.

And still, even if it was, no football move, no catch.

This is pretty simple, folks. If you think this is a catch, you don't know what the rule says. There's no real way to sugar-coat that.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Era at The U View Post
    He did. What were you watching?

How tightly he had the ball is irrelevant to possession.

What if he:

A. Caught the ball in the same manner,

B. Took four steps and then had the ball knocked out?

Where does one draw the line?

If it had been in the middle of the field I might tend to agree. But not in the EZ.
    I think you need to go back and look at the replay. He took 4 steps? Really? When the receiver comes down he has to maintain possession. 2 years ago that was catch but after Calvin Johnson rule was enacted it's not

It was not a catch IMO. Evans should be fired on the spot. He has done nothing this year worth remembering. Give his seat to someone else. He's just taking up room on the plane ride home. Maybe give him a bus ticket instead.

Re: ravens robbed

Long enough to get both feet down AND "maintain control of the ball long enough to perform any act common to the game"

We weren't robbed, just on the wrong end of an incredibly tight battle. Evans could have done more, Cundiff's miss was inexcusable. It happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    That play was NOT reviewed in the booth, because it was not a scoring play. The play was ruled an incomplete pass. The fact that it was not reviewed was inexcusable.
    You're right. That's one of the stupid aspects of that rule. Any play that was potentially a scoring play should be reviewed, but that's not the rule.

Even so, I don't think a review would have changed the call on the field. It was the right call.

Blog Entries

I don't think the call on Webb was right: Welker initiated the contact. Webb stepped with him as he cut outside, and Welker cut back into him.

But that play didn't decide the game, IMO, and if you've left it up to a judgement call like that you didn't play well enough to win. It was ticky-tack, but it wasn't an unreasonable call.

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    Yes it is reveiewable or are you forgetting the fourth down play last week against the Texans. If the spot of the ball was worth a review last week that play to Evans should have been worth a review.
    Okay.Tell that to Harbaugh and replay assistant upstairs. Both that said that play was not reviewable. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Okay.Tell that to Harbaugh and replay assistant upstairs. Both that said that play was not reviewable. Just saying
    It was reviewable, hence why the league already released a statement about why they chose not to review it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    It was reviewable, hence why the league already released a statement about why they chose not to review it.
    The NFL is just covering their ass. That was not clearly an incomplete pass. The Calvin Johnson rule is not in effect here, since Evans never went to the ground. It was a very close play between Evans having his second toe down and the ball coming out. It should have been reviewed over and over again in super slow motion. It was a dead ball situation, so the Ravens would not have been afforded and advantage by doing so. I still think Evans' second foot toe was down before the ball started moving. Un-freaking believable that the play was not even reviewed.

I think Golden Era is correct and that it should have been ruled a complete pass, and a touchdown.

I also think it was such a close call that I can't blame the refs too much for ruling the opposite way when watching it at full-speed. (The earlier penalty on Webb for apparently being in the path of a flailing Wes Welker - that nullified an interception - was far more bogus).

What I think this highlights is a twofold problem:

1) Nobody in the entire NFL, not fans, not coaches, not referees, fully understands what is, and what is not reviewable. The entire system of rules relating to this needs to be scrapped and rebuilt from scratch, and drastically simplified.

2) Nobody in the entire NFL, not fans, not coaches, not referees, fully understands what is, and what is not a touchdown. The entire system of rules relating to this needs to be scrapped and rebuilt from scratch, and drastically simplified.