Sporting News take on the Ravens

I was reading the Sporting News' Organizational Report ont eh Ravens, and a few interesting tidbits cropped up:

1. They mentioned several times that the Ravens are going back to zone blocking on the OL this year, which they have not done since (I think it said (2004). Yeah! The reason is that they believe WM will be the right guy to find the holes and hit them, unlike he shall not be named. This is a good scheme for an OL, especially a young one, because you don't have to worry about who is my assignment in what package - I just aim at a spot in front of me and clear out anyone in it. Who's thinking this might me an aid to an improved running game?

2. In their depth chart they gave a "*" to Steve McNair, which says they think he could have a Pro Bowl season.

3. They believe the two non-starting LBs who will be in the regular rotation are Antewan Barnes and Dan Cody, with a big "if" on Cody that he stays healthy. They say Stills, , Haley, and Smith will be ST and injury replacement only.

4. They showed the stats of many players. Do you realize how close the stats of AD and Bart Scott are?

Adalius 64 tackles, 19 assists, 11 sacks, 1 INT
    Bart 78 tackles, 25 assists, 9.5 sacks, 2 INT

So IMHO Bart Scott clearly replaces AD, and JJ replaces Bart Scott....

5. They say McClain will start over Justin Green game 1.

6. They said the new blocking scheme will really help Mike Anderson, it's much more what he is used to. The projected him to make an impact as a rotation backup RB.

Oh in unrelated bu related news, in their "players on the hot seat", they mentioned Kemo in Carolina (they said people found the while he was strong they could run around him last year), and Will Demps in NY (who gave up a bunch of plays).

Re: Sporting News take on the Ravens

Sounds like the same Kemo and Will Demps we all knew and loved. It seems that while the Ravens vaunted defense was able to compensate for players shortcomings they are magnified when they leave our schemes.
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Accurate review from my seat.

Scott doesn't do what Adalius did. You'll never see Scott lined up across from Chad Johnson and rarely if ever on the DL. No one does what Adalius does.

Other than that, looks like an accurate assessment.

- C -

That actually has me excited to see our new blocking scheme. Sounds like a great idea- as does everything else sound on point. Although, I have to agree, numbers don't always tell the entire story. Adalius Thomas was a complete rarity in the NFL. He did a lot of things that can't be accounted for on a stat sheet. (one example being his excellent coverage skills)

And here's a thought on AD- I wonder now, with all the hate being spewed on Michael Vick- and rightfully so if he even came close to torturing animals the way that's been said- if the video of AD taking Vick down in the preseason of 2003 will re-emerge,

Okay, I guess it won't... but I think more fondly of that moment now- especially considering Vick's apparent lack of respect for AD immediately following the incident...

If Vick does play this year, I'll be rooting for someone to body slam him the way he is said to have done to his dogs!
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Sounds like a pretty nice write-up. I take it Mike Preston wasn't involved in it (he writes about the Ravens sometimes for TSN).

I hope they're right about the blocking schemes helping WG and MA. It'll be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Scott doesn't do what Adalius did. You'll never see Scott lined up across from Chad Johnson and rarely if ever on the DL. No one does what Adalius does.

Other than that, looks like an accurate assessment.

- C -
    How many times was AD lined up against Chad Johnson? Once? Twice? That myth has been so overblown.

I'll give you the d-line but AD only played there rarely anyway. JJ can line up at d-line.

nice piece, and yes im looking forward to the young o-line and the zone blocking is good for JO. Also i think terry will need that help.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I agree that In terms of versatility Scott wasn't exactly what Adalius was for the Ravens D, but his playing history in college as a DB and in the pros at dime back made him at least the second most versatile and probably tops on the 2007 team. We won't have a player like AD, but we'll still have a bunch of pretty versatile guys like Scott to move around and cause confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    How many times was AD lined up against Chad Johnson? Once? Twice? That myth has been so overblown.

I'll give you the d-line but AD only played there rarely anyway. JJ can line up at d-line.
    I was going to say the same thing. I mean no offense to AD because he is a great player and one of my favorite Ravens ever, but AD never covered Johnson. He lined up across from him to jam him at the line, something just about any decent LB could do, McAlister/Rolle were still the ones covering him. Again I mean no harm, but if AD was actually covering Johnson at any time, he would have gotten lit up. It's something that the media blew way out of proportion. I'd say about 85% of the time he was lined up at OLB, another 10% of the time he was on the DL, and then 5% of the time he was elsewhere. That would be my guess anyway, I'm not sure if someone like Filmstudy would have any better numbers to back that up or disprove it.

Pretty sure Scott used to be our dime back at one time, so he's certainly capable of covering TEs as well as AD did.

Quote Originally Posted by awalt View Post
    3. They believe the two non-starting LBs who will be in the regular rotation are Antewan Barnes and Dan Cody...

5. They say McClain will start over Justin Green game 1.
    I recently heard Eric DeCosta speak and he said that they were very impressed with their early looks at both Barnes and McClain.

Of course, McClain won't play as much as Ovie since we're probably going one-back a lot more often now.