Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation This team hasn't peaked yet...

If the Ravens learn how to run the football, watch out.

That is the one big missing piece I notice from this team. I think the inability to run has put more pressure on McNair's shoulders than he should be expected to support. Same is true for the defense. A good running game will also neutralize the opponent's pass rush, allowing playaction to delay the front 7 more with the threat of the ground attack.

I give McNair a ton of credit for not turning the ball over under these circumstances. This looms very large for our playoff hopes because it shows under adversity, he isn't making the mistakes that lose you football games.

I'm happy this team hasn't peaked yet. There's no sense in hitting your stride in the first quarter of the season. Hopefully it will be like one big crescendo at the very end.

Re: This team hasn't peaked yet...

God, I hope this team hasn't peaked yet. If they did, our season would be all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    If the Ravens learn how to run the football, watch out.

That is the one big missing piece I notice from this team. I think the inability to run has put more pressure on McNair's shoulders than he should be expected to support. Same is true for the defense. A good running game will also neutralize the opponent's pass rush, allowing playaction to delay the front 7 more with the threat of the ground attack.

I give McNair a ton of credit for not turning the ball over under these circumstances. This looms very large for our playoff hopes because it shows under adversity, he isn't making the mistakes that lose you football games.

I'm happy this team hasn't peaked yet. There's no sense in hitting your stride in the first quarter of the season. Hopefully it will be like one big crescendo at the very end.
    Peaked? Not only haven't they peaked, I hope they have a lot higher to go before they do!!

The question isn't really, have they peaked? The question is, where is their peak? Based on what we have seen so far I wouldn't venture that it's very high.

And I have to completely disagree with your giving credit to McNair for not turning the ball over. He did little the entire game against a weak opponent. Without the wind and poor playcalling by the Browns we are all complaining about losing.

How is this offense going to fair against the better teams in the league? They need to get A LOT better before we start worrying about playoff matchups.

FHRaven

I sure hope that we haven't peaked! I cannot see the Defense carrying the load for the rest of the season to get us into the playoffs.

This offense has to improve if we are to be competitive with San Diego, Denver, Cincinatti. It starts with the running game, which is still unimaginative (except for dumbass reverses called at the wrong time) and yet to get on track, i.e. pounding the ball for time-consuming long drives. And I would love to see four quarters of an effective passing game.

Last edited by Mista T; 09-25-2006 at 12:25 PM.

We are far from where we can be, offensively anyway. The D should be consistent all year. ST look stronger than last year. Once Jamal gets going and McNair starts hitting his throws we will be very tough to beat. Lets just hope the O-line protects him, it was scary seeing him on his back at the end of the game yesterday.

Part of the reason McNair is on his back is because you're much easier to defend when you can't run the football. Running. is. Everything.

If this team can run, it can throw. But not vice versa. That's one of the interesting realities of football at any level.

Having said that, my offensive line is my only concern on the O. There is no excuse for not converting that 4th and short. The OL knows the snap count and just has to be brutish for 3 seconds to get those yards. If the OL can play worth a damn, it's smooth sailing for our Ravens for the rest of the season. That's a big "if" but I feel it's the truth. McNair doesn't worry me, Jamal doesn't worry me, even having Billick on our sidelines doesn't worry me really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I sure hope that we haven't peaked! I cannot see the Defense carrying the load for the rest of the season to get us into the playoffs.

This offense has to improve if we are to be competitive with San Diego, Denver, Cincinatti. It starts with the running game, which is still unimaginative (except for dumbass reverses called at the wrong time) and yet to get on track, i.e. pounding the ball for time-consumig long drives. And I would love to see four quarters of an effective passing game.

DENVER??? DENVER!?!?! With Jake friggin Plummer at QB? They are more than significantly worse than we are. That's a game we really should not lose.

Denver dominated the Patriots last night. The Denver you saw Weeks 1 and 2 wasn't the Denver you saw last night. Nobody should ever expect to roll through Invesco with an easy win.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Denver dominated the Patriots last night. The Denver you saw Weeks 1 and 2 wasn't the Denver you saw last night. Nobody should ever expect to roll through Invesco with an easy win.
    Yes it was. The Patriots ALSO suck. Anything that happened in the past is not relevant. THe Pats were lucky to have beaten the Jets and Bills...the Broncos just aren't a great team.

This year is THIS year...this year teams like the Ravens and Chargers are going to take playoff spots away from teams like the Broncos and Patriots.

Or so we think.

"This year is this year" is right. The Broncos just discovered a weapon on their team last night, you may have heard of him: Javon Walker? And it may surprise you to learn their defense isn't too far from ours at all.

The Broncos have the raw materials to be a Super Bowl team (except maybe Jake, but he could be a Dilfer Plus for them and probably still win one). They've played shitty in the early going but their defense will always keep them in games. Did you see their opener vs. the Rams? That defense was defending short fields all day and looked incredible.

but the pass sets up the run.

you can't run when they are stacking the box against the run.

to get them out of that you have to stretch the defense out.

If you don't do that you can't run. If you can't run it makes it harder to throw. If you can't throw it's hard to run..........

It's a viscious cycle

If the Oline could make a hole,Jamal would hit it.When you only can run to one side of the field and the other team knows it,that could be a factor as well.