Three reasons why I believe Ravens will win at Foxborough (1/22/12)

FACTs:

1. The last four meetings between the two teams (starting in 2007, the last meeting in Baltimore):

a. The three Raven losses were decided by a total of 12 points. All were decided by one or more Raven mistakes (turnovers, penalties, sideline playcalling). Ravens held a 10-point lead in 4th quarter of latest meeting (2010).

b. The only Ravens win was by 19 points. Ravens led 24-0 at the end of first quarter. It was the playoff game at Foxborough.

c. Patriots scored 27, 27, 14 and 23 points (OT).

d. Ravens scored 24, 21, 33 and 20 points (OT).

2. Ravens are currently 7-0 against playoff teams this season. They are 7-1 against teams with winning records.

3. Patriots are currently 2-2 against playoff teams (beating 8-8 Denver twice). They are 0-2 against teams with winning records (Steelers, Giants).

OPINION:

Presented above is the unequivocal evidence of how the Ravens MATCH UP with the Patriots. Anything else that you have read or heard cannot refute this evidence.

CC

Re: Three reasons why I believe Ravens will win at Foxborough (1/22/12)

Good post. Only thing is that the Ravens haven't lost to a team with a winning record this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    Good post. Only thing is that the Ravens haven't lost to a team with a winning record this year.
    Ravens lost to Tennessee who finished their season at 9-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Ravens lost to Tennessee who finished their season at 9-7.
    My mistake. I thought the Titans finished 8-8. Still, good post.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    My mistake. I thought the Titans finished 8-8. Still, good post.
    Thanks. Others prefer to count records of Raven opponents as winning/losing records WHEN the teams actually meet (Tennessee was 0-1 when the Ravens played them). But I choose to wait for the regular season's end - unless it becomes obvious.

I need to sign off.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    FACTs:

1. The last four meetings between the two teams (starting in 2007, the last meeting in Baltimore):

a. The three Raven losses were decided by a total of 12 points. All were decided by one or more Raven mistakes (turnovers, penalties, sideline playcalling). Ravens held a 10-point lead in 4th quarter of latest meeting (2010).

b. The only Ravens win was by 19 points. Ravens led 24-0 at the end of first quarter. It was the playoff game at Foxborough.

c. Patriots scored 27, 27, 14 and 23 points (OT).

d. Ravens scored 24, 21, 33 and 20 points (OT).

2. Ravens are currently 7-0 against playoff teams this season. They are 7-1 against teams with winning records.

3. Patriots are currently 2-2 against playoff teams (beating 8-8 Denver twice). They are 0-2 against teams with winning records (Steelers, Giants).

OPINION:

Presented above is the unequivocal evidence of how the Ravens MATCH UP with the Patriots. Anything else that you have read or heard cannot refute this evidence.

CC
    If you're so sure (you obviously think you have the evidence to prove it), then why don't you call your friends and family and tell them to bet the house? Your whole clan should be rich on Monday. Some would say all the stats leading up to this game means Crap, that it's down to two teams battling to get to the SB. Others, like yourself, seem to think what happened 5 YEARS AGO, when half of the rosters were different, have a bearing on what happens on Sunday.

Blog Entries

The evidence that the Ravens will win is based on how they lost of the last 4 games against the Pats? Sorry but I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The evidence that the Ravens will win is based on how they lost of the last 4 games against the Pats? Sorry but I don't get it.
    Agree. If past performances have anything to do with tomorrow (a big if in and of itself), it seems to only indicate a close game. Some NE/national writers are predicting a blow-out (Skip Bayless), but most are predicting a close, Patriots win. Seems about right to me. If the Ravens get some breaks, or if Flacco has one of his best games on the road, they could win.

I wouldn't be surprised by a Patriot blow-out given how hot their offense has been lately. I would be disappointed.

You would have to take me to St. Agnes if the Ravens repeated their '09 playoff performance. Can't realistically see that happening.

Past performance has nothing to do with the results of this game. The Packers were 14-0 before losing to KC. The Pats were 18-0 before losing to the Giants. Past stats are not relevant. Any given Sunday as they say.

Do you really think how the teams fared against each other 2 or 3 years ago has anything to do with the outcome tommorow (75% of the games won by NE, like thats a plus for the Ravens.)
    The Packers were 6-0 against playoff teams before last week and Giants 1-3.....how did that work out for the Pack?....again, that has nothing to do with tommorows game.

The Ravens got lit up against the only top offense they played against this season.....do you really think the San Diego game wil have any bearing on tommorows game? It doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DBK11 View Post
    Do you really think how the teams fared against each other 2 or 3 years ago has anything to do with the outcome tommorow (75% of the games won by NE, like thats a plus for the Ravens.)
    The Packers were 6-0 against playoff teams before last week and Giants 1-3.....how did that work out for the Pack?....again, that has nothing to do with tommorows game.

The Ravens got lit up against the only top offense they played against this season.....do you really think the San Diego game wil have any bearing on tommorows game? It doesn't mean anything.
    Everyone's favorite stat this week is how the Pats haven't beaten a winning team this season. I'm sure this fact is going to hold them back.

"Oh yee of little faith." Thanks to all you for your responses. Obviously, this requires a little more clarification.

1. Most of my ardent critics seem to believe in the opinions of so-called experts in the national media. They are not experts when it comes to the Ravens. They divide their attention across 32 teams. How can they be expert about any one of them? Furthermore, they are never held accountable for their predictions (certainly not by their employers) and it costs them nothing. They are paid to entertain - that's all.

2. The likelihood of one NFL team beating another is exposed in the matchup history between the two teams (especially recent history which can legitimately go back a number of years). I'm not just talking about the win-loss record between them, but how the games are played out. A good example was what happened between the Ravens and Jaguars leading up to the 2000 season. From 1996-1999, Jacksonville held an 8-0 record against the Ravens. Most of the games were very tight and were decided, more times than not, by Raven mistakes. In 2000, the veteran Raven players knew that they could never become legitimate playoff contenders until they broke that losing streak against their nemesis (Jaguars). In come-from-behind fashion, they did just that, winning twice that season.

3. Although the Patriots have won six of seven from the Ravens, the last four meetings have shown just how close the Ravens have come to winning (i.e., beating themselves the way they used to against the Jaguars). And the only win came when both teams were facing elimination - at New England. Of course, there is always changes in personnel every year. But both teams still have the same QB and HC and the same core of key players. So their philosophies remain the same - even if their strategies don't. I simply have a hunch that the Ravens are about to 'turn the tables' on the Patriots like they did against the Steelers this season.

4. I am not too surprised that the point spread for this game is over 7 points. The spread is controlled by the wagering. The odds makers purposely select the initial spread to maximize the amount of wagering and, at the same, ensure that 50 percent is returned to the bettor. That's good business. An enormous amount of New England money is riding on this affair.

5. I certainly don't guarantee my predictions, and I don't endorse wagering on them. All I'm saying, in my honest opinion, is that certain recent and semi-recent trends indicate a Ravens victory on Sunday. It's my interpretation - no one else has to 'buy into it'. Like most of you, I hope for a Ravens win regardless of the 'signs of the times' and of the perceived circumstances of the game.

CC