Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: SI has McNair pegged

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Atari View Post
    Well apparently the FO doesn't appear to think he's a bust giving him a 1yr extension and if you're starting McNair you are wagering on your backup. I think it is safe to say that the FO has some confidence Boller. A lot more than many fans would like to believe.
    So getting paid to be a backup isn't being a bust? Nope, he's a bust.

Ryan Leaf was a bust....Anyone thats been in the league for 5 years and gets a new contract isn't a bust. Kyle will never be P. Manning, but he is a good #2.

Is that what you say about Travis Taylor?

EDIT: I'm going to guess this question will be avoided at all costs and will never be answered.
    Last edited by evade6317; 09-09-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Did Travis Taylor re-sign with us? I can't recall, but I believe we just let him walk. He got chances to start in Minny and continued to stink and is now a bust. He was a bust here but he wasn't officially complete until the Vikings gave up on him. He is now in Oakland and who knows, but at this point I think we can safely call him done.

Boller isn't there yet.

I can recall Plunkett going through a rough 5 years, I can recall the Broncos drafting Maddox 7 years into Elway's career to replace him and I can recall a number of QBs floundering for years before getting it.

Apparently our FO and coaches think enough of him to keep him around, that is exactly opposite of your recent predictions about what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Did Travis Taylor re-sign with us? I can't recall, but I believe we just let him walk. He got chances to start in Minny and continued to stink and is now a bust. He was a bust here but he wasn't officially complete until the Vikings gave up on him. He is now in Oakland and who knows, but at this point I think we can safely call him done.

Boller isn't there yet.
    Based on the evaluation guidelines set forth by Baltoman07 of: years of NFL career> 5 years = not a bust. By his standard, TT is not a bust.

I can recall Plunkett going through a rough 5 years, I can recall the Broncos drafting Maddox 7 years into Elway's career to replace him and I can recall a number of QBs floundering for years before getting it.

Apparently our FO and coaches think enough of him to keep him around, that is exactly opposite of your recent predictions about what would happen.
    You can say the exact same thing about Troy Smith as well. But you won't.

Boller's good enough to be a back up, that's what they think. If you want to talk about predictions gone wrong, let's not forget the hugger nation prediction of Boller proving he would be a legit QB in 2005. But of course he couldn't stay healthy and he couldn't win on the road.

Enter McNair.

The attempt to draft Brady Quinn.

The Leftwich negotiations.

Carrying 3 QBs this year.

That doesn't look like the FO has as much faith in him as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by evade6317 View Post
    The attempt to draft Brady Quinn.

The Leftwich negotiations.

Carrying 3 QBs this year.

That doesn't look like the FO has as much faith in him as you think.
    I don't think all the above mentioned has to do with a lack of faith in Boller, but rather an organization trying its hardest not to make the same mistake twice.

It's the same reason we are not trying to go for cap hell, no RB depth or in this case no QB depth. All tried by the organization in previous years with abysmal results.

You can say the exact same thing about Troy Smith as well. But you won't.
    I have no idea where this is coming from. I have only noted Smith did not have a good pre-season and thus the organization is not confident enough to make him the backup next year. Beyond that I have nothing against Troy Smith and I hope he blossoms into the next Montana.

Boller is going to cost, according to reports, $3 million next year. I don't know what our cap situation is next year but I can say this, they wouldn't be tossing $3 million at him if they considered him a backup only. I am not saying anything more than that.

Boller is going to cost, according to reports, $3 million next year. I don't know what our cap situation is next year but I can say this, they wouldn't be tossing $3 million at him if they considered him a backup only. I am not saying anything more than that.
    I would.

He's a backup that they feel comfortable with in that role.

Again, so many other things have transpired just in the last year that are clear indications that Boller isn't the future starter that Im tired of listing them.

A one year extension is far from a statement that he's anything more than a backup.

PP

We'll see, but my guess is they want to see if he can up his game some more and take the starter's job. I don't think they have written that off. Otherwise, why sign him now?

We'll see, but my guess is they want to see if he can up his game some more and take the starter's job. I don't think they have written that off. Otherwise, why sign him now?
    Because he accepted a deal on their terms.

And because it's obvious that during camp no other QB on this team showed close to enough to warrant consideration for the backup job here in 2008. All this Troy Smith talk is WAY too premature. He barely made the team IMO.

Again, he could've just said no to the one year deal and tested the FA market for a chance to start somewhere else.

After watching yesterday's games, there are at least 4 or 5 teams that he could sign with with a chance to compete right away for the starters job. He'd also get more than a 1 year deal in all likelihood.

Again, despite what some on this board would have you believe, I don't hate Boller. I just don't want him starting.

If some view this extension as a sign of him being the future, so be it. I see it as a sign that they want him here to backup for next year. And yes, if he does get significant playing time this season and makes major strides, they can sign him for longer. Color skeptical about that. Either way, I think Ozzie will be spending a 1st day pick on a QB next year.

PP

If some view this extension as a sign of him being the future, so be it.
    You are over-reading what I am posting. I said he isn't out of the running, he won't get handed the job but he also isn't viewed as "just a backup" by the team.