Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Conspiracy Theories

Does anyone here buy into conspiracy theories?

I'm just curious about which theories do you find to be the most provacative.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Conspiracy Theories

I used to buy into the whole grassy knoll nonsense.

A few things happened that made me realize how stupid all that stuff was. For one, I became an avid shooter thanks for my Army training. I also visited the 6th Floor Museum in Dallas. That's such an easy shot to make. I could spend 15 minutes with someone who has never touched a rifle and have them making that shot with no problems.

Also, ABC did a great documentary on the theory, using all kinds of science that was not available previously. That sealed the deal for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I used to buy into the whole grassy knoll nonsense.

A few things happened that made me realize how stupid all that stuff was. For one, I became an avid shooter thanks for my Army training. I also visited the 6th Floor Museum in Dallas. That's such an easy shot to make. I could spend 15 minutes with someone who has never touched a rifle and have them making that shot with no problems.

Also, ABC did a great documentary on the theory, using all kinds of science that was not available previously. That sealed the deal for me.
    I watched that documentary.

Definitely some interesting stuff.

I've been reading a book lately called "Double Cross" about Sam Giancanna.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't necessarily say that I believe or buy into the many conspiracy theories that exist, but I do find them interesting and some of them have some pretty compelling evidence/circumstances that could potentially add validity to them.

Conspiracy theories are almost exclusively exercises in confirmation bias.

CT fans come up with a ludicrous explanation (the CIA killed Kennedy from the grassy knoll but needed a patsy so they planted Oswald in the book depository) for a relatively straightforward event (JFK gets popped by a lone nut with a $25 dollar rifle) and then ignore all evidence that disproves their theory while clinging desperately to anything that supports it.

Part of it is the fact that we as a species have evolved to formulate patterns in apparent randomness and CTs are a manifestation of that tendency. Part of it is that if YOU know the REAL story behind an event, YOU'RE smarter than all the sheep who buy into the COVER UP. And I think a huge part is the desire to place some sort of rules and control over a random universe. The president of the free world shouldn't get gunned down by one crazy man, it should take a vast conspiracy among powerful men to do something like that. It's very scary to imagine that such minor things can turn the whole world on its ear.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369115,-76.761209
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

I have a friend that is HUGE in to the JFK "conspiracy". I haven't made up my mind on that one way or the other.

I find conspiracies theories interesting, but many as Spam posted above are just people ignoring evidence.

I would like to know however what's up with Area 51. Do I believe they have little green men there? No, but I would like to know what is there. I am thinking something with the development of advanced weapons...

I've looked at satelite images of area 51. A couple runways, some office type buildings, and some hanger type buildings.

Considering the massive amount of weapon testing the Army and Air Force used to do out in the deserts in the part of the country back during the 50s (Including detonating actual freaking nukes!) I have no doubt it was or is a testing facility for classified aircraft.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369053,-76.761201
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

The so-called "Truthers" piss me off to no end, especially when they say no airplane hit the Pentagon.

I was a Regional Loss Prevention manager for Nordstrom at the time. I was home when the planes hit the WTC buildings and got a call from my boss, saying that our store at Pentagon City was being evacuated. Due to a mess up by the mall security folks, about 50 or people, mostly my employees, were standing on top of the parking garage, which sits just south of the Pentagon itself. Within minutes, everyone's attention turned west and they all watched in horror as flight 77 slammed into the Pentagon.

It wasn't a missile. It was a passenger plane without any doubt. I spent the next 4 days in that store, assisting with FBI interviews from all the witnesses. The FBI also took our CCTV video for that day and I was told that it contained a few images of the planes front half as it crossed over Rt 27. I sat in on one interview and the lady recounted how the plane was so close she could make out the face of man crying inside the plane.

And it's a perfect example of what ASB just said. They gave themselves that moniker, thus putting themselves as the know-it-alls about 9-11.

Blog Entries

The 9/11 conspiracies are interesting.

Honestly, I'm kind of over the whole JFK conspiracy.

Interesting?

Quite the euphamism.

Try damaging.

Yea the truthers piss me off to no end. I considered mentioning them in my first post but I don't think I can be rational while talking about them.

The thing is, even after popular mechanics and the BBC took all of their theories to task and either disproved the truther theories or proved the scientific validity of the real true story, they don't stop. They're convinced and nothing will change their minds.

My favorite rebuttal of the whole truther movement is the blogger who asked the very simple question; If the truthers are right, and the government really did kill 3000 plus people for nefarious reasons, why is that Loose Change kid still alive? Shouldn't he have been killed within hours of posting that video, and then the video itself removed from the Internet, surely if they can bring down the towers via thousands of pounds of explosives smuggled into the building in secret, make multiple passenger jets and all the passengers disappear, and launch a cruise missile at the pentagon they can mop up one idgit with a YouTube account.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369068,-76.761211

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Yea the truthers piss me off to no end. I considered mentioning them in my first post but I don't think I can be rational while talking about them.

The thing is, even after popular mechanics and the BBC took all of their theories to task and either disproved the truther theories or proved the scientific validity of the real true story, they don't stop. They're convinced and nothing will change their minds.

My favorite rebuttal of the whole truther movement is the blogger who asked the very simple question; If the truthers are right, and the government really did kill 3000 plus people for nefarious reasons, why is that Loose Change kid still alive? Shouldn't he have been killed within hours of posting that video, and then the video itself removed from the Internet, surely if they can bring down the towers via thousands of pounds of explosives smuggled into the building in secret, make multiple passenger jets and all the passengers disappear, and launch a cruise missile at the pentagon they can mop up one idgit with a YouTube account.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.369068,-76.761211
    They piss me off too!

I like (not really) how they when presented with factual evidence say someone is lying or the change the theory. The explosions as the buildings fall, and then when presented with the pancake theory and air escaping out the windows, they countered with nothing.

My favorite, is where the loose change kid, Dylan with that gigantic forehead of his, said that it was not a plane that crashed in Pennsylvania because if it were "there would have been a lot more wreckage... a lot more ,man"

I wish I could find the National Geographic Show where they aired Popular Mechanics disproving all most ALL their theories.